Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Residence Garden and FLB/Pattayatalk: room rate termination

As many of you know, FLB and Pattayatalk/Pattayapages have received long-standing support from our partnership with the Residence Garden.

As of the end of this month (Sept 2015), Residence Garden will no longer be offering the special rate to new customers.

If you are an existing customer who has received that special rate, I have been told it will be given to you if you ask for it, but any new customers will not be able to avail themselves of that rate.

I want to thank Ib and Alan Ottesen of the RG for their support these many years. I know many customers have stayed at RG over the years, but with the tourism downturn, those numbers have dwindled to the point where RG has had to make the decision to terminate their advertising and special deal with this forum.

I completely understand their position. It's rough out there and hotels are struggling like most other businesses.

RG continues to be a very good choice for lodging with their 1 BR sized rooms, so I hope you guys will continue to give them your business.

• Upvote 4
  • 1 year later...

What about the special Boathouse rate from years back?

If you had the special rate before, you can possibly still get it.

• 3 weeks later...

RG is and always was a good value for money option, but I'd ask if it has had a refurb recently as it seemed to need a lick of paint. My only other complaint was the ignorant arseholes who insisted on slamming their doors to their rooms in the early hours.

I do recall watching a massive thunderstorm one day turning the whole road into a river, and sitting drinking afternoon tea with PSP and Liz while it rained sheets and sheets.

Good pool, unhappy but efficient service staff and a decent rate makes the RG still a very good choice.

Hi Odense

To be honest my friend I often thought they didn't smile often enough, and the girl behind the counter who worked for Ib for years was always miserable, I can't recall her ever smiling at me, despite her being very attractive. Maybe I have an ugly face lol!.

I have stayed at the Residence Garden for most of my trips for the last 9 years.There has been some renovation i.e. New tv,s new fridges and whilst some of the rooms could do with brightening up a little the whole place is kept immaculately clean. Getting an end room cuts down the chances of inconsiderate guests.I have found the staff generally happy and helpful,my pet hate is the manageress insistence in putting the newspapers clipped in to a piece of wood.

• Upvote 1

I have stayed at the Residence Garden for most of my trips for the last 9 years.There has been some renovation i.e. New tv,s new fridges and whilst some of the rooms could do with brightening up a little the whole place is kept immaculately clean. Getting an end room cuts down the chances of inconsiderate guests.I have found the staff generally happy and helpful,my pet hate is the manageress insistence in putting the newspapers clipped in to a piece of wood.

Lol that's a first world problem right there.

Good to hear it's had some renovation. Any suggestions as to which is the better floor or area to ask for?. I might also consider using the RG again in my future trips. Last time I stayed there would have been around 02/03. I did actually like it there for the accessibility to Jomtien & never found it a problem getting home on a baht bus or motorsomchai.

I also had a few stays at Mr Mac's just up the road, which is an ideal budget hotel.

I have also joked around with both reception and the cleaners and they seemed happy enough to me.

So far it is the best vfm hotel for me.

Been a while since the last time though.

Lol that's a first world problem right there.

Good to hear it's had some renovation. Any suggestions as to which is the better floor or area to ask for?. I might also consider using the RG again in my future trips.

First (ground) floor has less privacy and, potentially security, because someone could walk up to your veranda/lanai railing. The rooms at the south end of the building (room 6?) have an actual bedroom window.
  • Upvote 1

+1 and Thanks nkped, I'll make a note of that. Tips like that can make all the difference during a stay. I always ask for rooms away from the lifts when I stay at the Sabai purely for the security / noise aspect.

Residence garden has 7 rooms per floor so noise is not an issue ( usually). Rooms 4 and 5 are across from the elevator and I try to avoid them. Rooms 1 and 7 are end rooms with windows in different palces and I find those much more noisy due to traffic. Room 1 is especially bad because the concrete building next door reflects the street noise. However, the noise is nothing compared to what you would get in bar areas or large hotels with lots of roms on a floor.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I too have an issue with the unhappy service from the staff and as I speak some Thai I really object to them talking about the customers. Ib is a great guy and has a really good strategy with the customer always being right.

The RG deserves to do well but on my last few trips I have had problems with the aircon breaking, no hot water in the bathroom and the internet is slow and often breaks. I've been staying elsewhere and wish they would invest in the rooms. The road is so busy now and even at the back it is noisy, they really need better windows to block the noise.

The RG really is an enigma to me.

From individual reports on here it is better than Areca and, for some, the best VFM in Pattaya but the previous 3 posts (amongst others) indicate to me that it is far from being an option, let alone the best option...

Individual reports and opinions are the core of any forum but in this case leave me no option but to tell my son to stick with his booking at the Areca...

EDIT = Changed the capital E in enigma...!!!

Edited by Bullfrog

The RG really is an Enigma to me.

From individual reports on here it is better than Areca and, for some, the best VFM in Pattaya but the previous 3 posts (amongst others) indicate to me that it is far from being an option, let alone the best option...

Individual reports and opinions are the core of any forum but in this case leave me no option but to tell my son to stick with his booking at the Areca...

Big deal for me was having a separate bedroom. Spent too much of my working life living in hotel type rooms.

I could get up and have a coffee on the balcony or watch the News on the TV while the lazy tart slept.... in the good old days when their room-mates weren't always losing their keys.

The location put a lot of people off, feeeling it was a bit away from things. That is hardly valid these days with the way Pattaya has expanded outwards. Now it is more the problem of a busy and noisy road outside, when it used to be a few shacks at the back with crowing cockerels. The age of the place must be a consideration too.

Big deal for me was having a separate bedroom. Spent too much of my working life living in hotel type rooms.

I could get up and have a coffee on the balcony or watch the News on the TV while the lazy tart slept.... in the good old days when their room-mates weren't always losing their keys.

The location put a lot of people off, feeeling it was a bit away from things. That is hardly valid these days with the way Pattaya has expanded outwards. Now it is more the problem of a busy and noisy road outside, when it used to be a few shacks at the back with crowing cockerels. The age of the place must be a consideration too.

I was intending to take a walk there yesterday to check it out but got caught in the downpour and I also took a tumble on the floor in Big C so cut my losses and went to bed with a bottle of wine..

That was a nice feature. More like a suite. Are the mattresses still hard as a rock?

That was a nice feature. More like a suite. Are the mattresses still hard as a rock?

I would call them firm....exactly like I like mine. If you are used to sleeping on something very soft, then they would probably be too hard. However, I have had rooms in Thailand where the mattress is hard as a rock and the mattresses here are nowhere near that hard.

I would call them firm....exactly like I like mine. If you are used to sleeping on something very soft, then they would probably be too hard. However, I have had rooms in Thailand where the mattress is hard as a rock and the mattresses here are nowhere near that hard.

I like a firm mattress too. I first stayed there in 2007. A long time ago.

• 1 month later...

I am waiting for them to get back to me for three weeks next month. No FLB rate but I think it is still a fair price.

I quite liked the location in 4 visits, not that far and not on top of the noise.

I hope it's still kept up and clean and such.

Not much has changed. The road is alot busier and the baht buses have to make a left at the overpass.

Rooms are still nice. If you ask nicely they still give you the rate (1500) they did before...at least for me :-)

I just booked with Da and she offered me the FLB rate and a room on 5 facing the pool like before.

I have no desire to experiment with hotels and I like the lack of frenetecism. Also being uphilll a wee bit kept the floods away a few trips.

My hotel in Bangkok is gone. Well, not gone but changed hands and they generously offer the Club floor at a nearly 100% premium eventhough the guests discover that when they arrive there is not quite a club floor yet. Staying at the Radisson Blu this time for four days at the end.

Refund? TIT buster.

Edited by Grandpollo
  • Upvote 1
  • jacko unpinned this topic