Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Public access enforcement on Walking Street - how long will it last

Well well. Somebody is attacking the issue of public space usage by businesses and vendors.

This article is pretty funny on the subject.

From http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1443087003

Pattaya Declares War on Crime: Footpath Intrusion

14430870031443087805l.jpg
An official discusses the importance of complying with municipal regulations on use of public space last night outside a go-go bar on Pattaya's Walking Street.

CHONBURI — Thailand's vice city, a known haven of transnational crime syndicates where sex, drugs and money are fluid commodities, isn't going to tolerate any more scofflaws. At least not where its sidewalks are concerned.

A band of Pattaya City officials, policemen and soldiers called upon its infamous Walking Street last night to demand go-go bars, vendors, nightclubs and other businesses stop violating city regulations on use of public space and keep the footpath clear.

There they discovered vendors hawking goods and parked vehicles in the street whose name is derived from its intended purpose: A pedestrian-only stretch reserved for adult entertainment and indulgence.

Among the 20-or-so-strong group was local official Morakot Noohuang, who said business operators along Walking Street have been told to keep within legal boundaries so that members of the public can fully use the public pavement.

More than half of them even said they would comply, Morakot said. (MM LOL!)

“A majority of business operators agreed to cooperate with us,” he said.

1443087823_walkingstreet02.jpg

1443087836_walkingstreet03.jpg

An official discusses the importance of complying with municipal regulations on use of public space last night outside the "Sugar Baby Ago-Go' on Pattaya's Walking Street.

He said local authorities will convene a meeting to determine how to punish those that refuse to cooperate. No arrests were made last night, and officials merely confiscated signs and goods that intruded upon the pavement, Morakot added.

The media was invited along last night’s show of intent to enforce the law, much as it was earlier this month when officials once again renewed their vows to someday do something about the plague of jet ski operators scamming tourists.

Home to a variety of go-go bars, sex shows and sex workers, Pattaya’s Walking Street is a well-known destination of sex tourists from around the world.

Although prostitution and salacious entertainment are outlawed, the authorities largely tolerate their presence, and only make arrests when particular cases gain attention, most often from social media.

1443087977_201509241305125-2004101916130

A fried food vendor listens to an official explain the importance of complying with municipal regulations on use of public space last night on Pattaya's Walking Street.

Hi MM,

A reminder of why the "white line" has been painted for :smile:

street-2.jpg

In the evening, a police group made another inspection,

seizing signs that were outside the white line...

Quite a lot in their pickup!

Edited by Idefix

Wish they'd do something about the street performers. We wouldn't need the sidewalks if they weren't causing congestion in the street.

• Upvote 1

The street performers are part of Walking St scene and make it the tourist attraction that it is...albeit somewhat preventing the very act in the name (Walking). The herding of tourists too is a problem.

I don't see much mileage in this action.

I've asked this question before about Bangkok, but I guess it could pertain Pattaya, as well.

All the people who set up shop on the sidewalk at night. Sukhumvit in Bangkok or wherever in Pattaya. Do they pay any rent to anyone, or is it a free-for-all?

I've asked this question before about Bangkok, but I guess it could pertain Pattaya, as well.

All the people who set up shop on the sidewalk at night. Sukhumvit in Bangkok or wherever in Pattaya. Do they pay any rent to anyone, or is it a free-for-all?

Someone will be collecting money, you can be quite sure of that.

• Upvote 1

Someone will be collecting money, you can be quite sure of that.

I sort of figured that, but who? Sounds like a large scale racket. I wish I could get in on that. Renting out spaces on a public sidewalk.

I sort of figured that, but who? Sounds like a large scale racket. I wish I could get in on that. Renting out spaces on a public sidewalk.

I've heard they have to pay police..makes sense, I think.

Isn't Walking Street of an evening just about the only place in town where it doesn't MATTER if the pavements are blocked, there's no traffic so the road is safe. Do this on the busy streets instead of the high-profile one and I'll be more impressed.

I remember reading some years ago that the sidewalk market on Sukhumvit was "owned" by a senior police officer who employed deaf-mutes to man the stalls.