Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Pattayatalk has no advertising sponsor anymore - what to do

As of Sept 30, Residence Garden ceased their advertising with Pattayatalk.

So, now, the forum has no income except for anyone who uses our Agoda link to book a hotel. Since that link has been up, we have had some boardies use the link (which has a special code that credits the pattayatalk account) quite a few times, but the commission is rather small for each booking. Agoda sends a commission payment when it reaches $200 USD..and we have yet to make that boundary amount a single time!

So, use the Agoda link if you want to help with the costs of this forum, the only one about Pattaya that doesn't have a bar to drag you to :P

Additionally, and most importantly to you, we are trying to economize by moving to a smaller, less expensive server.

This will involve intermittent shut downs of the forum for indeterminate times over the coming weeks (or months depending on my technical skills and attention span).

I took over this board in 2004, along with FLB, the bar. Since I have divested my ownership in FLB, and now RG is not supporting us through advertising, any costs come out of my pocket. Those costs currently run about 50K baht per year or about 4K/month.

As the owner of this forum, I feel a responsibility to all the active users, and those who lurk, to keep this information source available. We have a great deal of historical and useful information on this board, and I think it would be a shame to shut it down. But, as time goes on, and the burden of the cost of the board affects me personally, I might have to rethink this.

If we can successfully move to another less costly server, then the burden will be considerably lessened, and I'll not consider soliciting help or opinions as to whether it's worth keeping this forum going. That's where we are now...

What about donations for covering the server costs? i know of quite a few websites/forums that are kept running on donations. It would be a shame to lose this forum.

What about donations for covering the server costs? i know of quite a few websites/forums that are kept running on donations. It would be a shame to lose this forum.

That would be a last resort.

I have a suggestion. How about the active poster with the lowest reputation rating paying all the server costs for 12 months? That would be a very fair solution but you might have some difficulty collecting the money.

Evil

:devil

• Downvote 3

I would pay a small membership fee - and I would rather do that than see the board go the same way as Addicts.

On the other hand if I were MM I might be tempted to go the PA route - just as a hobby :-D

I have a suggestion. How about the active poster with the lowest reputation rating paying all the server costs for 12 months? That would be a very fair solution but you might have some difficulty collecting the money.

Evil

LOL - yes - I would like to see him try to get money out of THAT

I would pay a small membership fee - and I would rather do that than see the board go the same way as Addicts.

On the other hand if I were MM I might be tempted to go the PA route - just as a hobby :-D

PA is no hobby. The board admins put in a lot of work to get that board to where it is now, generating sufficient income to allow them to love comfortably. That's no hobby, and I'm much too lazy to even try to duplicate a tenth of what laamok and whitespider have done.

I'd be happy to see more bookings on Agoda tho. They are good rates and the commission doesn't affect the price, from what I can see.

Evil

Your moniker becomes you, Mr Evil.

Have you considered using AdSense ?

Not lately. I suspect the site wouldn't make it through Google's nanny mode check.

Evil

Or the poster whose signature takes up the most space and bandwidth, like a parking charge.

• Upvote 1

How about we have a Board party for all those members that don't want one!!!

Sorry couldn't resist!

• Upvote 3

will it be free?

:)

You must be willing to give up 10,000 baht of your very hard earned money, for free loaders to enjoy at your expense, of which no thanks or gratitude will be forth coming.

only for the non members of the board, for everyone else it comes at a cost of 10 minute interval sprays on what a bunch of ungrateful c*nts they are

Correct-o-mundo!

• Upvote 2

misteregg , paid the first 4 subscriptions where off to a good start

Unlike elswhere where the board is an an excellent advertising tool , i also would have no problems paying a fee if it meant keeping this board alive

So that's 4 times 500 baht =2000 baht. That is very generous :lsmile

misteregg , paid the first 4 subscriptions where off to a good start

Unlike elswhere where the board is an an excellent advertising tool , i also would have no problems paying a fee if it meant keeping this board alive

Poor misteregg got bitten by the post hang problem.

Since you two have commented on it already, I'll leave his stuttering posts up.

misteregg, that's very big of you. I hope sincerely it doesn't come to that!