Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Pattayatalk has no advertising sponsor anymore - what to do

So 2000 baht a year from Mr Egg, should go a long way!

Why not do something like when mule was sick?

Set up a donation fund and let members donate as they please.

Mule or buffalo?

Why not do something like when mule was sick?

Set up a donation fund and let members donate as they please.

I don't think this rises to the level of saving anyone's life!

As I said, at the top, the first order of business is to reduce the server costs (without impacting performance and possibly improving it).

Once that is done, we can get a handle on the out-of-pocket cost for the forum.

Right now it is rather onerous...for example I could insure 4 late model cars for the same annual amount, spend 5 minutes in Bangkok Pattaya ICU, or insure my wife with a top level health plan and have change left over.

Once the move is done (and that is one reason why we are going through this period of flaky board behavior at this time as part of the preparation for the move), it should be costing considerable less.

Here's a suggestion. Organize a Pattaya Talk GG crawl with some sort of stupid challenge in each GG. Example: challenge could be whether the lady lands the ice cube from her pussy into MM's drink and then whether he'll finish his drink. Bet's are placed and those on the losing side of the bet throw the amount they bet into the "pay for the forum" bucket. With beer fueled ideas for challenges, we should have the forum costs covered in no time at all. :chogdee

• Upvote 2

Here's a suggestion. Organize a Pattaya Talk GG crawl with some sort of stupid challenge in each GG. Example: challenge could be whether the lady lands the ice cube from her pussy into MM's drink and then whether he'll finish his drink. Bet's are placed and those on the losing side of the bet throw the amount they bet into the "pay for the forum" bucket. With beer fueled ideas for challenges, we should have the forum costs covered in no time at all. :chogdee

Great idea. I'm up for that next week.

• 1 month later...

Can you not accept advertisers? so you need 50K a year therefore 20 banner adverts at 3k per annum would give you a small safety blanket. Such advertisers are not as such affiliated to the forum nor do they gain any special rights other than the exposure they get.

Edited by Cerberus

Can you not accept advertisers? so you need 50K a year therefore 20 banner adverts at 3k per annum would give you a small safety blanket. Such advertisers are not as such affiliated to the forum nor do they gain any special rights other than the exposure they get.

Yes, that's one route to go.

At the moment, I am still working on a low cost web server solution to lower expense...plugging away at it still.

Yes, that's one route to go.

At the moment, I am still working on a low cost web server solution to lower expense...plugging away at it still.

MM I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs mate but your present server seems to work well for you and the annual fee is not exorbitant at about my monthly cost :thumbup I believe that you would be able to find 20 local businesses that would support you by buying a banner.

It does not mean you are then associated with a particular bar that you have to promote. There are many variations, you could levy a slightly higher fee to those wishing to pay quarterly, 6 monthly whilst those happy to pay annually could perhaps get 14 months instead of twelve. If you used rotating banners each would get its turn on the more popular forums./threads. Or indeed you could charge slightly more a stationary banner on such forums.,

Forum Boards are kept alive by their posters and the threads that get posted so again in my opinion making any form of charge to the members should be the very last option, as should begging for donations.

Edited by Cerberus
  • 11 months later...

MM I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs mate but your present server seems to work well for you and the annual fee is not exorbitant at about my monthly cost :thumbup I believe that you would be able to find 20 local businesses that would support you by buying a banner.

It does not mean you are then associated with a particular bar that you have to promote. There are many variations, you could levy a slightly higher fee to those wishing to pay quarterly, 6 monthly whilst those happy to pay annually could perhaps get 14 months instead of twelve. If you used rotating banners each would get its turn on the more popular forums./threads. Or indeed you could charge slightly more a stationary banner on such forums.,

Forum Boards are kept alive by their posters and the threads that get posted so again in my opinion making any form of charge to the members should be the very last option, as should begging for donations.

Some good suggestions, though I am not optimistic about selling advertising...the board presence doesn't command a high price, and dealing with advertisers, especially Pattaya business people (not you, of course) is a frustrating and thankless task.

I also agree that charging users or soliciting/begging for donations is not something I would like to do.

It looks like we will very shortly move to a lower cost server...stay tuned. It will happen before Nov 15, when my next server payment is due.

Some good suggestions, though I am not optimistic about selling advertising...the board presence doesn't command a high price, and dealing with advertisers, especially Pattaya business people (not you, of course) is a frustrating and thankless task.

I also agree that charging users or soliciting/begging for donations is not something I would like to do.

It looks like we will very shortly move to a lower cost server...stay tuned. It will happen before Nov 15, when my next server payment is due.

How can it be "begging" when several of us have offered to donate?

All I asked for is a place that takes paypal and I am willing to send a few baut once in a while.

How can it be "begging" when several of us have offered to donate?

All I asked for is a place that takes paypal and I am willing to send a few baut once in a while.

The thought is appreciated but it's just not my style.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Let me rain on the parade.

The board has probably run it's race. I doubt it would hold much interest for newbie members due to the small pool of posters.

It can't be a hobby as MM stated due to costs.Therefore it has to run along business lines.

Part of the reason for decline is practically ALL of the non sanitized posters have been run out of town. Appointing extra moderators was a mistake ( as I pointed out at the time).

Some of those moderators hold grudges/dislike certain posters and they were targeted. That left the current Clubbie" type atmosphere with few contributors.

The promotion/ tolerance of "favoured" posters who could do no wrong, then led to a prevalence of sameness. Same ideas, same opinions, same activities etc. Hardly a recipe for holding long term interest.

The same BM posting a trip report for his 56th trip in xxx years- boring.

Predictably most of the clubbers won't like hearing that, but facts are facts. Businesses rise, businesses fall. That's life.

These sorts of boards need active, unbiased management, difficult to achieve without a large amount of time to devote, I would imagine.

MM states he doesn;t want to put in the time- who can blame him, I certainly wouldn't do it.

Re suggestions

Membership fees for access- yeh sure, make the small pool even smaller. Won't cover costs but would maintain the site for the favoured ones.

Goggle adsense- peanuts in revenue with out substantial traffic- again won't cover costs.

Bar crawls and other activities- self serving waste of time in terms of revenue. Also needs to be regular to raise revenue.

Pattaya business sponsors- why do you think RG left? Not worth the cost, business decision.

It was great once, it was fun, but it's over now, thanks for coming and please turn off the lights on your way out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'm always surprised when someone comes on and moans about the forum, but then sticks around - why? It's not costing you anything to stay other than your own time which I'm sure you could spend more effectively for your own entertainment elsewhere. The only people who HAVE to read all the posts are the moderators. Everyone else, including your good self, can pick and choose what they like and ignore those they don't like. You could even make some interesting and entertaining posts yourself, if you like.

Do I like every single poster on this site? No.

Are they still posting? Yes

Do I give a shit? No

I may have issues with some posters but I can quite categorically state I have not banned anyone for just being a nob. In fact, I struggle to remember banning anyone on this site. If someones behaviour is such that they could be banned, it is likely to be discussed with other mods and with Martin before that decision is taken, therefore making a balanced decision. Many many more have stayed than been booted.

I'm sure Martin will appreciate your suggestions, however I cant appreciate your comments regarding moderation, because in my opinion, they're bollocks.

I'm happy for you to prove me wrong though. :kissing

KM

• Upvote 1

And (I hope I understand this correctly) MM has found a solution. With help from Frostfire and Idefix the cost of running the board has been reduced signifikantly. If we get also get better at booking hotels though the link on the PT page that will help a little also.

Edited by Odense
  • Upvote 1

Zaris,As far as your comment about Residence Garden is concerned I have been going to the R.G and spend 12 weeks a year there as a direct result of there advert on Pattaya talk and have done for 9 years and there are many other return visitors to the R.G.I believe it was a very negative decision on R.Gs part to stop advertising.

Zaris,As far as your comment about Residence Garden is concerned I have been going to the R.G and spend 12 weeks a year there as a direct result of there advert on Pattaya talk and have done for 9 years and there are many other return visitors to the R.G.I believe it was a very negative decision on R.Gs part to stop advertising.

It was perfectly understandable considering how their fee was grandfathered in on the same terms as Peter had negotiated.

I felt bad about how much they were paying and cut their rate in half a couple of years before they pulled the plug.

They were good people and helped tremendously with the cost of the forum...in fact, they were paying all the bills for a time.