Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The scars and battlefields of Dien Bien Phu, " Dominique ". Part 1.

Dien Bien Phu is very much a one horse town kind of place. One road in and one road out, there really is not much here at all. If you have a fascination with military history, then you will love this place. Not sure if when i visited in October, if it was low season, but i flew in from Hanoi, and on that flight were 5 Australians and me, and they were the only white tourists i saw in the 3 nights i stayed here.
Dien Bien Phu, sight of one of the worst battles in modern times, of one of the french's greatest ever defeat, and ultimately the sight of one of the most revered places in all of Vietnam.
This is the town, where in 1953, the french parachuted into, destroyed a small battalion( i believe) of the Viet Minh army, and decided this was the place to launch the biggest trap in the world, the destruction of the Viet Minh. Well, we all know how that ended. Bad for the french, and even worst for the Americans, as this was one of the turning points that "made" the americans enter, what is known to the Vietnamese as the "American War".
With so much to show, i will split my DBP photos into a couple of different threads.
The view from my balcony.................................

IMG_0014_zpst2rocykq.jpg

IMG_0018_zpshmhnjxn9.jpg
IMG_0011_zpsf1qulzpz.jpg
IMG_0019_zpsvfpmqf1f.jpg
IMG_0023_zpsku5byxcv.jpg
IMG_0027_zpsmax8oxxp.jpg
IMG_0025_zpsmjczial7.jpg
IMG_0030_zps3tg07l1s.jpg
IMG_0815_zpswx7t1h10.jpg
IMG_0035_zpsysmcxhwk.jpg
The view towards Hill D1 (Formerly called "Dominique" by the french).......................
IMG_0033_zpsont2ib3u.jpg
IMG_0038_zps71xwsyom.jpg
IMG_0042_zpsiylssypp.jpg
From halfway up the stairs looking back into the town In the background of the photo, after the buildings, is the airfield. The same strip that the french used in 1954.....................................
IMG_0045_zpsrnpy7aew.jpg
IMG_0049_zpsmqubfuoo.jpg
And the monument to Victory at the top of the hill. Sadly, there are no remains or reminders of battle left on Dominique at all.................................
IMG_0046_zpsu35pvctq.jpg
IMG_0083_zpsobpuikim.jpg
IMG_0048_zpsxegqf57h.jpg
IMG_0052_zpsktlezpj1.jpg
IMG_0056_zpspqgs1hjl.jpg
IMG_0063_zpsiihz3tij.jpg
IMG_0069_zpswzsgafgt.jpg
IMG_0073_zpsowk4dxry.jpg
This photo gives you some idea of how big this monument is.....................................
IMG_0075_zpsxeaszojp.jpg
This is the view looking towards what is now known as HimLam, but was known to the french as "Beatrice". Him Lam, i believe, was the sight of the first major engagement between french forces and the Viet Minh, of which the french lost!! I never made it as far as Him Lam hill, as i stopped short by 50 meters, but im told a lot of trenches and bunkers still exist there........................
IMG_0055_zpso62i1rru.jpg
IMG_0072_zpsh05t1yea.jpg
IMG_0086_zpsw9q4d2pa.jpg
IMG_0085_zpszsbsodvg.jpg
IMG_0089_zpsf7uqoaqs.jpg
IMG_0091_zps9cigcby6.jpg
IMG_0095_zpsqpe8hudn.jpg
IMG_0096_zpsr9w4l9vo.jpg
IMG_0102_zps1m7jslkm.jpg
The way up Hill E1, which was known as "Dominique 1" during the battle....................................................
IMG_0118_zpscbvu0cql.jpg
IMG_0121_zpshoytt7aw.jpg
IMG_0123_zpsjridifo7.jpg
Now completely overgrown and covering the scars, this is the view towards the center of town, full of trees and shrubbery..............................................
IMG_0126_zpswdcn9tcf.jpg
IMG_0129_zpsiciqhdkn.jpg
IMG_0131_zpsqjuktvfj.jpg
IMG_0135_zpstqxf5mhe.jpg
IMG_0137_zpsaghtb5rt.jpg
IMG_0138_zps2ykjh5oo.jpg
IMG_0141_zpsvmdckfq9.jpg
Edited by firth1974
  • Upvote 3

Interesting pictures. Imagine all the lives lost in the various Vietnam wars. For what? There you are, having a good time and taking pictures. And the local businesses will probably take Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.