Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Happy Thanksgiving 2021

Hi,

Wac is a magnanimous entity. However there are a few Americans on here who I hope choke on their turkey. To the rest of the patriotic Americans, Happy Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Hi,

Wac is a magnanimous entity. However there are a few Americans on here who I hope choke on their turkey. To the rest of the patriotic Americans, Happy Thanksgiving.

I certainly hope I'm not one of those you wish to see choke on their turkey!

But in case it does happen:

display.jpg

Evil

:devil

... to everyone, whether you observe Thanksgiving or not!

attachicon.gifThanksgiving-Animated (1).gif

Special Thanksgiving wishes go to U.S. military personnel wherever they are serving. Your sacrifices on this and every other day help preserve freedom for all of us.

attachicon.giffront-line-thanksgiving-sma.jpg

Evil

Thanks EP.

Holidays have different personal meanings for each of us. For me, Thanksgiving means giving 'thanks' to native 'locals' and I find it timely this year it's the day after Loy Krathong.

I hope you enjoyed yours.

I certainly hope I'm not one of those you wish to see choke on their turkey!

:

Evil

Hi,

No, Really there is no one I want to choke on their turkey. :D

Hi,

No, Really there is no one I want to choke on their turkey. :D

I see. So wac wants "some Americans on here" to choke on their turkey, but YOU don't..Right, that makes perfect sense in wac world.

• 11 months later...

I was around town today and saw no evidence of any outward celebration of Thanksgiving.

I have many fond memories of Doug and Yim's restaurent on Soi Rangnam in BKK celebrating Thanksgiving. If only Doug could see the little girl he bounced in his arms today...she is a big 15 year old monster!! Last I heard from Yim was that he was sick and had to return to California that was about 8 years ago in Zeer...

Anyways....fond memories......I hope you are all enjoying your day!!!

I was around town today and saw no evidence of any outward celebration of Thanksgiving.

I saw quite a few Miss Kitty's on Beach Road and more than a few farang potato heads.

7.jpg...8.jpg

I saw some people chasing pokemon but no real stars.

6.jpg...9.jpg

I put up a Thanksgiving greeting in the food thread, so I'll just say:

3.gif...4.gif

Pilgrim Penevil

pilgrim-eating.png

• Upvote 1

... to everyone, whether you observe Thanksgiving or not!

attachicon.gifThanksgiving-Animated (1).gif

Special Thanksgiving wishes go to U.S. military personnel wherever they are serving. Your sacrifices on this and every other day help preserve freedom for all of us.

attachicon.giffront-line-thanksgiving-sma.jpg

Evil

I remember my US Army days. The military went all out to serve everyone a hot meal on the holidays. I may have missed it. Did Tequila Reef have their special Thanksgiving meal?

• 11 months later...

As I recall, some of the freeways in LA pretty much look like that every rush hour. Cars backed up as far as the eye can see. How people put up with that I'm not sure, but some do, on a daily basis, just to go back and forth to work. I used to live in the San Diego area, which had better traffic.

Three and a half million spectators are expected for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade that's underway right now. The temperature is only a few degrees above zero, but people have been standing for hours waiting for the parade to start.

pikachu-thanksgiving-2-656x371.jpg

landscape-1504042705-macys-thanksgiving-parade.jpg

It's a bit disturbing to see pics of heavily armed cops guarding the parade. Sign of the times; this would have been unthinkable 20-30 years ago.

ap17326763915565.jpg

ap17327494977990.jpg

A big Thanksgiving Day "thanks" to all U.S. military ...

Thanksgiving-525x350.jpg

and I really hope they get the dinner they are dreaming about!

Thanksgiving.jpg

Evil

• Upvote 2

Good to look at, but don't eat there!

Yup, I haven't eaten there since that god-awful Christmas dinner last year. That dinner almost made me envious of Gabenezer and his bowl of instant ramen.Untitled-1a.gif

scrooge.JPG

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

I'm bumping this thread to wish everyone 

Happy-Thanksgiving-Onimod-Global.png

Ever wonder why we call a turkey a turkey?  The answer goes back more than 600 years.  In the 15th century, African birds called guinea fowl were exported to Britain by Turkish merchants of the Ottoman Empire.  The birds were called Turkey cocks or hens and the name was eventually shortened to "turkeys" or "turkies."  When English explorers reached North America in the 1500s and saw the bird we today call the wild turkey, they thought it was a relative of the (guinea fowl) "turkey" with which they were familiar.  The name stuck.

A guinea fowl on the left, a wild turkey on the right.

Untitled-1.png

The wild turkey was quickly domesticated by English farmers, but was still a very different bird than the one we enjoy today at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It was much leaner and the tough meat had a gamey taste.  It would not have been roasted whole but cut up and served as a stew or in a meat pie.  The head, neck and wings were used as decorations on festive occasions, as in Still Life with a Turkey Pie by the Dutch artist Pieter Claesz in 1627 ...

download.png

or this painting by G. Vervorn in 1658 ...

G-vervorn-still-life-with-turkey-pie.jpg

Most Americans believe the Thanksgiving holiday can be traced back to 1621 when the Pilgrims of  Plymouth Colony invited members of the local Wampanoag tribe to a harvest feast that lasted three days. That event did take place, but not in the form it is usually pictured.  The painting below reflects a very romantic version that arose during the 1800s and continues to this day.  More on that in a follow-up post.

thanksgiving-lessons-grades-prek-2-lesson-plan-16-9.png

Again, Happy Thanksgiving!

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Evil Penevil changed the title to Happy Thanksgiving 2021