Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Let the Thai society know about your retirement life in Thailand

Hi all members of PattayaTalk,

My name is Kanokwan Tangchitnusorn, I'm a Ph.D student of the College of Population Studies (CPS), Chulalongkorn University, and currently I am doing a Ph.D. dissertation about the international retirement migration (IRM) of Westerners in Thailand, in which, the research is about the study of the migration-to-Thailand decision-making process, well-being, assimilation, and impacts of Western retirees in Thailand.

As part of my research, I have to distribute around 400 questionnaires to Western retirees in Thailand nationwide who came from developed countries in the Western world. For Pattaya, I sent the hard-copied version questionnaires to Pattaya Immigration office, and already collected a good number of it. However, I think the on-line distribution of the questionnaire is also a practical and savvy approach.

Hopefully, the research results will become part of policy recommendations, which aim to constitute mutual benefits for both retired expats and Thai society as a whole.

So, if you want to be part of the study, please go to http://goo.gl/forms/d0M1ldM2H7 and then submit your information.

In addition, please be informed that Information related directly to you will be kept confidential. Results of the study will be reported as total picture. Any information which could be able to identify you will not appear in the report.

Thanks a lot for reading this post. :D

KANOKWAN TANGCHITNUSORN, Ms.

Ph.D candidate at College of Population Studies (CPS), Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand

Edited by Kanokwan

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

It has the problem with the space before and after the link itself, now I just fix it ka. Does it work for you?

By the way, once you click on the submit button and nothing happens (i.e. it doesn't move you to the next page), then it may be because you didn't answer to all required (*) questions. Yeah, I know there're a lot of questions, but I hope you find it fun :)

Regards,

Kanokwan

Edited by Kanokwan

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

It has the problem with the space before and after the link itself, now I just fix it ka. Does it work for you?

By the way, once you click on the submit button and nothing happens (i.e. it doesn't move you to the next page), then it may be because you didn't answer to all required (*) questions. Yeah, I know there're a lot of questions, but I hope you find it fun :)

Regards,

Kanokwan

Yes, now it works!

Will you come back with a link to the final study for us?

Full paper of my thesis will be available online once I submit it to the Graduate School ka. And, according to PhD requirement, I also have to publish 1-2 article(s) (10-15 pages each) based on my research results. So, all of them will be available online and I will send you the link when they are finished ka :D

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking about starting a business in Phuket, Thailand. As a foreigner who has visited Thailand several times, I love Thailand and wand to live there and have my own business. According to the Thailand Board of Investment (http://www.boi.go.th), there are many protections put in place to limit the ability of foreigners to compete with Thais for local jobs. I will be glad if there are friends in this forum who are active in local business and could help me on starting them from the beginning, tell me about legal documents needed and the cost of obtaining work and business permit from government local offices, the amount of investment required, overall status of foreign business in Thailand.

I am thinking about starting a business in Phuket, Thailand. As a foreigner who has visited Thailand several times, I love Thailand and wand to live there and have my own business. According to the Thailand Board of Investment (http://www.boi.go.th), there are many protections put in place to limit the ability of foreigners to compete with Thais for local jobs. I will be glad if there are friends in this forum who are active in local business and could help me on starting them from the beginning, tell me about legal documents needed and the cost of obtaining work and business permit from government local offices, the amount of investment required, overall status of foreign business in Thailand.

Totally ignore business opportunity ideas and live there first for at least a few years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good advice from Yogi. It is NOT a level playing field. I don't know the statistics regarding failed farang businesses but I'd guess the failures far outnumber successes.

Good advice from Yogi. It is NOT a level playing field. I don't know the statistics regarding failed farang businesses but I'd guess the failures far outnumber successes.

Except for beer bars they are a licence to print money

• Downvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Last month, I just interviewed a British gentleman who ran elderly home business, a resort hotel with a good number of nursing staff available. So, the business is not only a hotel which targeting seasonal tourists but also an elderly home which focusing on recruiting permanent residents. He has operated it for 2 years, struggling in the first year, but now the place has become more popular to get a newcomer every month.

Anyway, please get back to my study topic :)

So far, I already received 61 offline responses and 18 online responses from Pattaya residents, in which, I think most of the online responses are from the members of PattayaTalk. Thank you very much ka :D :D

However, according to the 2014 Pattaya immigration statistics, there were around 19,083 persons applying for retirement visa, in which, most of them are the Westerners. So, where are they? and where are you?

So, please, if you still haven't try the survey yet, please go to http://goo.gl/forms/d0M1ldM2H7

• 5 weeks later...

Just take a closer look at the received 61 responses from Pattaya Immigration, it turned out that only 20 are usable. :cry2 :cry2 :cry2 :cry2

More online responses will be greatly appreciated cos I really want to make a genuine and meaningful analysis. So, please everyone :clap2 :clap1

Come on, guys. This could be a very useful and interesting study for both the expat population and the government (ha!) decision makers.

I know more of you can help out. I've done the questionnaire and it's both interesting and well thought out.

Get in there and let this lady crunch the numbers!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I did it a few days back. Very generic so no need to be concerned about identity issues. Good luck to the OP and I hope to see the thesis.

That's a very important point...there was nothing in there that would cause me concern about revealing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dear all Pattayatalk.com members,

I am please to inform you that now I have finished my Ph.D. study. My Ph.D. dissertation entitled "International Retirement Migration of Westerners to Thailand: Decision-making Process, Wellbeing, Assimilation, and Impacts on Destination" will be available on Chulalongkorn University database by September 2017.

However, I also upload the file on http://www.mediafire.com/file/ed89il05b ... ermark.pdf

I would like to thank all kind participants for making this study possible. Any mistakes are solely my own.

Best regards,

Kanokwan Tangchitnusorn (ice)
email: kanokwan.tang@student.chula.ac.th

• Upvote 1

The PDF file doesn't load into viewer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It opened in Acrobat on my laptop.

It opened in Acrobat on my laptop.

Okay thanks must be something on my mobile.

Okay thanks must be something on my mobile.

It's well over 250 pages long so probably a bit of a challenge for a mobile 'phone!