Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Key cutting service

I'm looking for a competent key cutter in Pattaya.

Hopefully a store rather than a kiosk on the sidewalk....one key I need duplicating is a safe key and another is a vintage automobile key...neither are your normal style where a blank exists...these might need a fair bit of skill to manufacture.

All advice and suggestions welcomed!

TIA

There is a shop on the Railway line bypass South bound just after the Suk 15 junction.

Never used it but I drive past frequently.....

I think getting the blanks would be an issue, but first I would try the places in the Malls, BigC-X near the food court/Donut shop and I have a vague recollection of one in Tesco Nua Mall.

I found these mentioned on Thai Visa but it was 2008!!!

Right next to the School number 8, opposite Wat Chai Mongkol/ Krung Thai Bank on South Pattaya Road.

Central Pattaya. Near the soi entrance to Pattaya Memorial, the shop is located next to the 7/11.

near to the junction of soi nungplabwan and sukhumvit road on the left hand side near the police box.

Edited by jacko

You are looking for a genuine locksmith to be able to do that sort of work with any competence. Not sure I have seen anything like that.

Might want to try some of the places that sell safes or ask a motorcycle sales yard as they are the most likely to know someone with the required skills. I'm guessing you will need someone who speaks Thai and understands your needs to accompany you to get results.

Hi I have never had any keys cut but notice 2 places over the years of visiting. Next to Soi Buakhoa markets far side there are a row of bars/cafes, the end one closest to beach road has a key cutting section, the old man use to do the cutting but over the years I notice the a younger one does, probably father and son.

At the end of Soi Lengkee corner of 3 rd there is a hardware store, they do key cutting. I think it has been run by a family over the years, as when we ask a couple of technical question about a concrete grinding disc they got an old man from out the back, him and Paul had a good chat about different things. Just saying they have both been establish for years, if they can't they probably know who can.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help given above.

Today I started the mission.....three keys need copying.....a safe key,a very old automobile key,and a more general key for window locks. The only reason I want the third copying is the price....in Thailand key cutting prices are roughly one tenth of what they cost in my home city.

First port of call was a roadside stand opposite the entrance to LK Metro on Soi Diana. The stall was open,but no-one on site. A bar worker called the key cutter on her phone and a few minutes later he arrived. A few head shakes and a lot of tut-tutting and off he went again,to return minutes later with a handful of old looking assorted blanks.

I wandered off as he started grinding and filing,and when I returned he had two of the three done. The safe key was problematic.....Soi Thappraya 8 he said,adding more mystery. Or was it Trepprasit??

Well,two out of three ain't bad.

To be honest,I expected the safe key to be the easiest,as I had previously got other safe keys copied in Chinatown, Bangkok without any bother.

I thought the old automobile would be the problem. When I took it to the local keycutter in the UK the guy spent ages looking up blank styles in directories,phoned a few other keycutters,then said it was obsolete and therefore impossible for him to reproduce.

And the Thai guy just knocked it out.

Price...30 baht per key. Amazing!!

Photos of the key stand,the the cutter :

diana key.jpg

Soi Diana keycutter 2.jpg

Soi Diana keycutter.jpg

I then trotted off to Third Road and Lengkee junction to hunt down the cutter that Aussiechic mentions above.

No luck,walked down to Pattaya Tai then turned into Soi Boukhao and found the next keycutter right opposite the wifebeater stand in the market,and the end of a row of bars where all the patrons seem to be weathered hungry-looking hundred-year-old financially distressed Singha drinkers. Again,no-one at home. Eventually a totally miserable guy dragged his carcass out of the associated tattoo studio and glared at me,seeming pissed off that he had a customer. He also couldn't do the safe key,but he made me a copy of the so-called impossible one...again,for the ridiculously low sum of 30 baht. I asked where I could get the safe key cut but he claimed not to know.

In the UK key cutters usually combine their service with re-heeling boots and shoes,and their clientele seems to be predominantly women of a certain age who they flirt with remorselessly. They are chirpy,Jack-The-Lad types. The contrast to the Pattaya key cutters couldn't be more pronounced....here they are surly,miserable moody creatures who really don't seem to enjoy their work and have fuck-all customer communication skills. But great prices.

The Keyman on Soi BK :

SBK Keyman3.jpg

SBK Keyman4.jpg

SBK Keyman2.jpg

SBK Keyman.jpg

So,I'll carry on the search to get the safe key copied and report the results.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the last one is the one I was talking about at Soi Bukow market, I thought they would of pointed you in the right direction.

Thanks MM.

Well,today I set off to Thapprasit. I had a moment of madness when I briefly considered walking from Central Pattaya,but the blazing heat soon wore me down.

I hopped on the tail of a departing baht bus on Second Road by the school and hopped off a couple of hundred metres short of Thapprasit (a guy on the bus told me the wrong jumping off point). That was a fair old journey....ten baht fare well worth it....walking would have been a bad decision. However,I thought the keyshop was only a couple of hundred meters further along,so made the wrong decision to yomp in the baking sun. At some point I stopped at a roadside drinks stand to rehydrate and change my shirt,which was wet through. A group of motorcyclists roared by,with the club name "Mad Dogs" on their jackets. So Noel Coward was right! Mad Dogs and Englishmen do go out in the midday sun.

On and on I went....finally found Soi 10 and the keyshop on the corner......the sign said "Open" but that was far from the case. Lights off,door locked. The opening hours on the building suggested it should be trading,but no luck. Tried phoning,no answer. Thinking the keycutter might be having dinner somewhere,I took a little stroll down Soi 10,only to see Miss Cruellas S and M club. Could the keyman be in there,extracating someone from his chains? Who knows.

I noticed a couple of strange public payphone kiosks....one had the phone completely ripped out,the other caked in months worth of dust. Does anyone ever use payphones in Thailand? I've never seen it happen.

Eventually I decided to check Jomtien,but got a baht bus this time. They are not so regular on Thapprasit so the wait was long. In Jomtien I asked at a couple of key kiosks if they could replicate the safe key,but they just shook their heads. Did they know who could copy it...of course not. Maybe they knew the keyman on Soi 10 but didn't want to help me find him.

So..next time,I'll phone first to check the shop is open.It's a long journey by bus and foot only to find there's no-one on the premises.

It's certainly a serious looking place,and should end the hunt.

Name is Locksmithasia and telephone number is 038 410 443.

Photos of what to look out for :

lock.jpg

lock2.jpg

lock3.jpg

lock4.jpg

lock5.jpg

lock6.jpg

lock7.jpg

jom key.jpg

jom sm.jpg

jom phone.jpg

jom phone2.jpg

jom phone3.jpg

And the kiosk in Jomtien who couldn't have been less helpful or less polite :

jom kiosk.jpg

• Upvote 2

The guy all the gogos use has a shop on soi 16, opposite soi Daimind and just after the Sikh temple.

He does work for the police too.

Edited by misteregg
  • Upvote 1

P1060051 (1024x768).jpg

P1060052 (1024x768).jpg

Found this one today walking down the street behind the market that the watch lady is in.

behind the school on the cnr of 2nd road and Pattaya tai ?

Yep,that's the one The Eggman mentions in post #9 above.

Tried him too.....couldn't help with my key but sent me to another cutter on the same street (other side of the road and behind Tukcom).....who couldn't help either.

Not easy getting keys cut in Pattaya. And even when they do have a go,half the time the new key doesn't work anyway.

I'll post my findings later when time permits.

• Upvote 2