Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Taxis ordered to use their meters

Seems like the Powers That Be have decided to respond to a sea of complaints and are demanding taxis in Pattaya and other named cities start following the rules and stop ripping tourists off. Action within two months apparently.

I did some research on getting around Pattaya prior to my first visit and read somewhere that the taxi guys wanted to use the meters,but were petrified of upsetting the baht bus mafia,and had to charge outrageous prices to keep them non-competitive and parked up most of the day. To use the meters would mean war.

The recent rules regarding motocy rates doesn't seem to have changed anything,or the stated registration of motocy drivers.

So,will taxis become popular?

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221394/overhaul-of-pattaya-metered-taxis-ordered-by-prime-minister/

"Following a barrage of complaints received by the Prime Minister’s Office in relation to Metered Taxis at Tourist destinations around Thailand, an overhaul of the taxis has been ordered to take place in 6 tourist hot-spots including Pattaya.

To facilitate the changes, an initial meeting of over 300 Taxi drivers who operate in and around the Pattaya area was convened at the Alcazar Theater in North Pattaya on Monday, led by Police Major General Warattanachai, a Deputy Commissioner of Region 2 Police.
It was announced the Prime Minister has ordered immediate changes to how the Metered Taxis operate, in 6 Tourist destinations around Thailand, including Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Koh Samui, Phuket, Hat Yai and Pattaya.

Complaints from Tourists and others that use the Taxis include problems with drivers not activating the meters and over-charging for journey’s. Some drivers refuse fares for no apparent reason and others take their passengers to the wrong destination. It was also mentioned that some Taxis are in poor condition and some drivers are extremely rude.

Six separate Taxi cooperatives who operate around Pattaya were represented at the meeting and drivers were told that changes will need to be made within 2 months. The maximum charge for passengers for the first 2 Kilometers is 60 Baht and then 4 Baht for every extra Kilometer travelled. Stickers in every Metered Taxi showing the customer complaint line 1337 must be displayed and in return a crackdown on unlicensed Taxis, which is a significant problem especially in Pattaya, will be dealt with by the authorities."

Haven't we heard all this before? As for the metered taxis in Pattaya, I've never seen one actually in motion. They just seem to sit there all day.

Let's not forget the "fabled" Beach Road/Sai 2 Bus service too!

Let's not forget the "fabled" Beach Road/Sai 2 Bus service too!

That reminds me. Are those buses still running? It has been a while since I've been in Pattaya. But I do remember once siting in a beer bar on Second Road near Soi 2. I actually saw one of those busses go by.

Another popular issue that the govt will say they're going to fix, and nothing will come of it.

In the case of the motorcycle taxis, after the last crackdown, rates went UP!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Haven't we heard all this before? As for the metered taxis in Pattaya, I've never seen one actually in motion. They just seem to sit there all day.

Ride around on a motorcycle and you notice them more!

The deadly pedestrian crossings and the baht bus stopping restrictions (pre-defined stopping positions) are other examples of good ideas, bad implementation.

I am so glad they widened Beach Rd so that vehicles can stop on the Beach side now.

The metered taxis do quite a bit of business, all without using the meters. I wonder if by unlicensed taxis, they mean the various unmarked cars/pickups taking fares or whether the also mean songthaew operating in taxi mode?

In Bangkok, taxis pretty consistently use the meter so it can be done. Whether it will be in Pattaya is another matter.

I wonder if by unlicensed taxis, they mean ...

My bet is about the Bangkok Taxis who trade in Pattaya (without Taximeter of course)

as it seems there are more and more of them. Pattaya is far more profitable for them.

The big question: why this 2-months delay ??

It worked SO well in Bangkok.

Threats of fines, license seizure, undercover agents and fuck all different.

Did the Uber cab thing ever start up in Thailand, outside of Bangkok?

There is an app called 'Grab Taxi' that includes Pattaya, I haven't tried it yet and keep it on my phone as a sort of emergency option.

Did the Uber cab thing ever start up in Thailand, outside of Bangkok?

There is an app called 'Grab Taxi' that includes Pattaya, I haven't tried it yet and keep it on my phone as a sort of emergency option.

You get a meter taxi. Of course, the meter is not used. The app gives you the fare which is readily accepted.

• Upvote 1

Looking at the tariff I guess that I would never use a metered taxi from Swampy to Pattaya when I pay 1000 baht to Mr T and this covers tolls and most of the drivers know Pattaya well, why would I? Really, I wonder how important it is to the average boardie it is unless he is visiting Bangkok.

Looking at the tariff I guess that I would never use a metered taxi from Swampy to Pattaya when I pay 1000 baht to Mr T and this covers tolls and most of the drivers know Pattaya well, why would I? Really, I wonder how important it is to the average boardie it is unless he is visiting Bangkok.

Well Mr T is not really a fully fledged taxi, but even those in the airport rank will be happy to drive you for 1500 (my last experience), no meter of course.

It worked SO well in Bangkok.

Threats of fines, license seizure, undercover agents and fuck all different.

I was in Bangkok recently, and try as I might, I never found a taxi that would use the meter. They all quoted me a fixed price well above the meter price.

I expect the same result in Pattaya or anywhere else the govt makes one of these pronouncements.

Smoke and mirrors signifying nothing in the end (sorry, William).

I was in Bangkok recently, and try as I might, I never found a taxi that would use the meter. They all quoted me a fixed price well above the meter price.

I expect the same result in Pattaya or anywhere else the govt makes one of these pronouncements.

Smoke and mirrors signifying nothing in the end (sorry, William).

Now that's completely contrary to my Bangkok experiences.

I am in Bangkok usually a few days a month, and use a lot of Taxis while there, for distances between a few Kilometers or sometimes quite a bit more.

I rarely had stopped a taxi (I avoid the ones which Park on the street near Hotels) which does not turn on the Meter automatically. Maybe 1 out of 10.

In my recent experience the only time a Bangkok taxi has refused to put the meter on is around Patpong late at night.All others run the meter from the outset (or at least when you remind them to turn it on).

More of a problem is getting them to agree a particular destination if they don't fancy the direction or traffic conditions.

I rarely had stopped a taxi (I avoid the ones which Park on the street near Hotels) which does not turn on the Meter automatically. Maybe 1 out of 10.

The guys that park up outside hotels have conspired to charge minimum flat rates for airport work..which is often all they are interested in.Asking other drivers in the queue to use the meter is pointless as they are all in on it.Sometimes they wait for hours for a customer,which probably means they are missing out on normal street work and having queued up for ages aren't going to agree a 50 baht fare and lose their place in line for little reward.

Now that's completely contrary to my Bangkok experiences.

I am in Bangkok usually a few days a month, and use a lot of Taxis while there, for distances between a few Kilometers or sometimes quite a bit more.

They must like your face.

One of the local tv programmes mentioned that the maximum metered fare for a 2 kilometre trip is 60 Baht! If that is correct, then there is no wonder they refuse to use the meters!

One of the local tv programmes mentioned that the maximum metered fare for a 2 kilometre trip is 60 Baht!

If that is correct, then there is no wonder they refuse to use the meters!

Why that?

The fare is 35 baht in Bangkok (up to 1 km) and they do use the meter :nod

I think it's 5 or 6 baht per km for next 10 km, then the km rate increases with distance.

So 60 baht for up to 2 km is a rather good rate for Pattaya taxi.