Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

This is the place on Sukhumvit, on the corner of Soi 42. I often turn there and cut through via soi Sophon to 3rd Rd.

There is (or was) a big 10ft statue of a Muay Tai boxer there, I wonder if they are selling it, would look great in my garden! The restaurant on the side seemed to do a good trade, well not any more. Some talk on Thai Visa that the ACs had all been serviced and one of the compressor units started the fire. Good job it didn't happen while the place was open.

Edited by jacko

I went by there on my way to Beach Road last night. The fire was already contained and by then the bigger hazard was all the lookey loos (gawkers), which I estimated to be about 5000 and the 200 plus police and police volunteers trying to keep traffic flowing. What a mess, I'm surprised that there weren't any reports of serious traffic accidents in that area.

CB

Good to hear a plus report on the fire brigade. :thumbup I have always had my doubts on their abilities in the face of a major fire in Thailand. I am also astounded that there are not more major fires in Pattaya, than actually occur, with the electrical "system" prevalent. "There by the grace of Buddha" I suppose.

Good to hear a plus report on the fire brigade. :thumbup I have always had my doubts on their abilities in the face of a major fire in Thailand. I am also astounded that there are not more major fires in Pattaya, than actually occur, with the electrical "system" prevalent. "There by the grace of Buddha" I suppose.

Whilst hearing reports of them not having the suitable equipment for a fire in a taller building, and considering the huge monstrosities going up (near the Nua Bus station for example) I doubt any City has. If you ride through the new Pattaya City Hospital you can see they have nearly a dozen vehicles there and at least one has an extendible ladder. I was surprised they had so many..... not saying they all work mind. The issue would be getting to the fire with the traffic!

Edited by jacko

Insurance scam?

If the owner is to be believed, the answer is no as he states he has no insurance. I find that hard to believe, but then TIT.

Forensic Police examine Pattaya Muay Thai Stadium Fire Damage

on: 20 February, 2016

On Friday the investigation into the severe fire at the Max Muay Thai Boxing Stadium in Central Pattaya began as the owner of the building revealed he had not taken out any insurance.

The revelation came out during an informal and jovial chat with investigators at the location. The owner, Khun Niwat, confirmed to Police that the fire started at an Air Conditioning Compressor Unit, even though Police could not immediately confirm this to be the cause of the fire.

As the investigation continues, a boxing ring and temporary stadium is being erected in the rear car park of the stadium which will host a planned event on Saturday.

The owner also revealed the stadium will be repaired and is expected to re-open in 2 months.

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221642/forensic-police-examine-pattaya-muay-thai-stadium-fire-damage/

Edited by forcebwithu

In the end they got the job done, but as I watched there were a few comical moments. Best was when they were setting up to get water on the fire in the restaurant. First attempt at attaching the nozzle to the hose wasn't too successful as they neglected to tighten the fitting down. As soon as they pressurized the hose the nozzle blew off and they had to go chasing it down the road. Their second attempt wasn't much better, but at least it stayed on. You can see in the blow up of the pic below he's leaking a fair bit of water due to a poor fit.

Clipboard01.jpg

They'll have to work on their crowd control too. I had unfettered access to the site which worked out well for me to take pics. I made it point not to get in the way of anyone, but saw quite a few that were oblivious to their surroundings. Like this guy intent on taking a selfie.

IMG_0031.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well if they intend rebuilding as I heard, it looks like it will be completely new.

This is how the place looks today.

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

This place is nearly completed, sorry couldn't be arsed stopping to take pics in 35 degC!

Sure went up better than The Harbour Mall...that is a place I have yet to visit and would make a good pictorial review (forcebwithu ???)

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

This place is nearly completed, sorry couldn't be arsed stopping to take pics in 35 degC!

Sure went up better than The Harbour Mall...that is a place I have yet to visit and would make a good pictorial review (forcebwithu ???)

Sorry, I usually avoid shopping malls so unlikely I'll be making a visit to Harbor Mall for a pictorial review. And yes, it is hot out there, but I braved the heat this afternoon to snap a few pics of the rebuild progress.

IMG_0001.jpg

Someone with engineering experience check out the construction method they're using for the stands. In particular note how they cut the vertical load bearing I beam to allow for the seating support structure to pass through. My uninformed opinion is the use of just a weld to join the two support structures is destined to fail due to weight and vibration of people moving around the stands.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Reports had the fire starting when an a/c unit exploded after it had been serviced. Not sure how that's possible, but hope the new ones going in are rated explosion proof.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Shot of the temporary stadium they erected in the back parking lot. I live about 150 m from the place and I can attest they have PA system cranked to 11. Fortunately they're done by 10 pm.IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

• Upvote 4

Well done....I actually drove past yesterday but was already hot and sticky and this weather takes it out of me.

I would have been upset had I stopped and then been scooped by you. :D

• 4 weeks later...