Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Scooter Rental and Insurance - in particular for Germans...

I hope to be in Pats soon, and would like to rent a scooter this time. I occasionally used to rent cars in the past, but gave up because traffic became too dense and parking a nightmare. Those rental cars did have insurance.
I understand that rental scooter, on the other hand, carry almost no insurance.
After checking with my German liability insurance company I was informed that they do not cover vehicles in Thailand.
Does anybody know about other options, is insurance that covers at least the theft of the scooters available in Pats at reasonable cost? It appears that I am out of luck with German insurance companies.

My pal recently hired a scooter and no extra insurance was available.

(Only the government obligatory 3rd party, CTPL included)

I do recall many years ago a company called Mai-Pang who rented out bikes and supplied supplementary insurance and she had a few of those tourist thank you letters suggesting it had worked. I believe you can find them at Canterbury Tales if they are still in operation. Also on Facebook.

One of the guys who advertises here (Pool Hustler) may come back here with a more definitive answer, I am also sure the topic has been discussed on the Forum and a search may find it.

Edited by jacko

My pal recently hired a scooter and no extra insurance was available.

(Only the government obligatory 3rd party, CTPL included)

I do recall many years ago a company called Mai-Pang who rented out bikes and supplied supplementary insurance and she had a few of those tourist thank you letters suggesting it had worked. I believe you can find them at Canterbury Tales if they are still in operation. Also on Facebook.

One of the guys who advertises here (Pool Hustler) may come back here with a more definitive answer, I am also sure the topic has been discussed on the Forum and a search may find it.

Might be a good idea to contact BM Lanzalad on this board.

I believe he is still doing his bike rental business and he will have a definite answer for you in regards too your insurance question.

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that the German Automobile Club ADAC sells additional third-party liability insurance for rental vehicles rented outside of Europe provided those rental vehicles have already a local 3rd party insurance. The additional 3rd party insurance brings coverage up to the (high) German levels.

It is not a comprehensive insurance - it does not cover theft or self-caused damage to the rental vehicle.

Cost is approx. 44 Euro for 4 weeks; longer periods are also available.

• Upvote 1