Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

"Borrowing" the 800,000 for a retirement visa.

My visa is up and I need to get a retirement visa. I have read on some of the boards about agencies that you can go to and pay for them to put the 800,000 in an account in order for you to get a visa. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it. There is some urgency.

Thanks in advance.

The Visa shop in the second post is on the ground floor of Tukcom in Pattaya south road, right next to the escalator, on the right as you enter from the road

I always thought that if you went with the bank deposit route, the money needed to be in the account for at least three months?

They get around that hence paying an arm and a leg

My visa is up and I need to get a retirement visa. I have read on some of the boards about agencies that you can go to and pay for them to put the 800,000 in an account in order for you to get a visa. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it. There is some urgency.

Thanks in advance.

I think most of the visa agencies around town offer the service you are after.

Before I applied for my first retirement extension in the second half of 2014 I canvassed a few places to see what they would charge, I had the 800k, but wondered what it would cost to avoid dealing with immigration.

The first question the agencies asked was whether I had the 800k, adding that it was not a problem if I didn't. There was a big difference in the prices quoted even without borrowing the money, ranging from about 9k to 20k, so the best thing you can do if this is urgent is to start contacting a few agencies.

In the end I ended up doing it myself as the lowest price doubled when they changed the rules so that at that time the conversion to a non-immigrant visa had to be made in Bangkok.

Good luck. TG

I think it would be worrisome to try to retire though unable to afford either option of $22,000 in the bank or less than $2,000 month in income.

Not the getting past the Thai immigration part being worrisome, (though you have to wonder when people start to get caught with this bribery and fakery), but being able to be self-sustaining with less than the income required.

• Upvote 3

I think it would be worrisome to try to retire though unable to afford either option of $22,000 in the bank or less than $2,000 month in income.

Not the getting past the Thai immigration part being worrisome, (though you have to wonder when people start to get caught with this bribery and fakery), but being able to be self-sustaining with less than the income required.

I am sure there are many who can survive on 66.000 baht/month, particularly those who own their accommodation already. A pity they cannot live here legally because their pension falls just short.

There is also a possibility some wish to keep their savings in a bank in their home country.

Edited by jacko

Yep. Anyone who can't afford to put 800,000 baht in a bank account will probably have problems at some point in time. And having only 65,000 baht per month in income isn't so hot, either, for anyone who enjoys bar-hoping, girls, and the nightlife. A person could blow through that amount in a week or so.

I am sure there are many who can survive on 66.000 baht/month, particularly those who own their accommodation already. A pity they cannot live here legally because their pension falls just short.

There is also a possibility some wish to keep their savings in a bank in their home country.

I thought all the retired people that live in Pattaya are on six figure incomes each month? :rolleyes:

I thought all the retired people that live in Pattaya are on six figure incomes each month? :rolleyes:

Why would you think that?

To the best of my knowledge, no one said anything like that.

Do you have any proof for why you would think that?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Why would you think that?

To the best of my knowledge, no one said anything like that.

Do you have any proof for why you would think that?

Read the posts I made in the recent thread about retiring or staying long term in Pattaya. Maybe then you'll detect the sarcasm in my post.

65,000 baht minus even 15,000 for a decent place to stay leaves one with 1,600 a day for everything. That can't be much to really enjoy retirement.

If the issue is one cannot even have that (to prove to immigration on an income basis) then it would be a less than fruitful existence.

800,000 all at once is likely to be hard to get for many people.

Most posters have good points. Each destitute expat has different circumstances. I am not a wealthy man by any means but the 800,000 baht in the bank was not a problem and I have decent pensions.

One guy I know was cheated out of his resort property by the Thais he trusted to put the property in their names. He was in serious trouble but he was near to the age where he could get his government pension. He sold every stick of furniture, even his bed and all the tools he had to maintain the resort. That guy should have not been forced to give up his property and leave the country. After threatening to tear down the mansion he had, the Thais gave him about one seventh of what he had invested if he agreed to leave the properties. He did accept the money and now he is getting his government pension. He is still somewhat bitter but he is now fairly comfortable.

On the other hand, young guys come over here with a pocket full of money and after throwing most of it away one way or another, they are in trouble. They are much too young to look forward to a pension, have no savings and no future to look forward to. Some may have burned their bridges and have no where to go back to. The best thing they can do is to crawl back to where they came from. I once chipped in to buy an air ticket for a guy like that. He cashed in the ticket and struggled for another couple of months. I did not chip in for the next ticket but some of my good hearted friends took him to the airport, bought him a ticket and made sure he got on the plane. They found out later that he was arrested at the airport for an unsettled DUI. After the authorities discovered that he was indeed destitute, they released him to his mother.

I have the good luck to meet the monthly income requirement without difficulty. Executing the income letter isn't that big a problem even if I have to go to the embassy. On the other hand, to establish a Thai bank account with 800K baht in it, I would have to move money in ways which would be taxable events. I'd rather not do that if I could avoid it.

Find this 'down the nose' fiscal sneer that's prevalent on all the Thai forums to less than well heeled retirees a bit myopic TBH

They have what they have - and quoting from above the 1600 a day figure may not be two whores a night and jing-a-bell spending but I'll wager it furnishes a better existence than waiting to die with 1600THB equiv or whatever back in the 'old country'

Totally agree with you and this was why I made the comments I did in the "retiring or staying long tern in Pattaya" thread in the Members' Bar part of the forum. You can be anyone you want on the Internet, and as with most people I have met in Pattaya (and the reason I am often reluctant to meet new people there) they are usually full of shit and try to make out they are something that they aren't. If you were to believe the consensus of that thread then the majority of people that have retired to Pattaya are living off of six figure incomes each month in a lap of luxury but most will know that that isn't the case and there is very little evidence of that being the case. In my experience those people are a minority and nowhere near the majority.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Totally agree with you and this was why I made the comments I did in the "retiring or staying long tern in Pattaya" thread in the Members' Bar part of the forum. You can be anyone you want on the Internet, and as with most people I have met in Pattaya (and the reason I am often reluctant to meet new people there) they are usually full of shit and try to make out they are something that they aren't. If you were to believe the consensus of that thread then the majority of people that have retired to Pattaya are living off of six figure incomes each month in a lap of luxury but most will know that that isn't the case and there is very little evidence of that being the case. In my experience those people are a minority and nowhere near the majority.

You had argument(s) with TKO in that thread that got out of hand, but that thread was TF long before that by Galt67 who claimed that only 1 out of 100 retirees/long stays in Pattaya had income streams of +100,000 Baht/month. Others claimed 1/100 was much under weighted. No one claimed the majority had income streams of +100,000/month. It was your imagination that it was a consensus view because you were getting hammered in that thread.

But good effort getting in jabs in other threads after you lost that debate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You had argument(s) with TKO in that thread that got out of hand, but that thread was TF long before that by Galt67 who claimed that only 1 out of 100 retirees/long stays in Pattaya had income streams of +100,000 Baht/month. Others claimed 1/100 was much under weighted. No one claimed the majority had income streams of +100,000/month. It was your imagination that it was a consensus view because you were getting hammered in that thread.

But good effort getting in jabs in other threads after you lost that debate.

Not my imagination at all, there were several posts from people in that thread that made it seem that monthly incomes of six figures were normal, including tko himself. My opinion is different to tko's about that and about Americans and passport ownership but that debate has now finished, hence the reason why I stopped responding because I saw no point in continuing it although it seems your're determined to continue it over here even though it doesn't involve you. What motivates you to do that exactly?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Not my imagination at all, there were several posts from people in that thread that made it seem that monthly incomes of six figures were normal, including tko himself. My opinion is different to tko's about that and about Americans and passport ownership but that debate has now finished, hence the reason why I stopped responding because I saw no point in continuing it although it seems your're determined to continue it over here even though it doesn't involve you. What motivates you to do that exactly?

LOL, I'm sure you miss the irony.

We get it, your feelings are hurt because tko made an offhand word play describing Brits as insular, but no reason to extrapolate what was said in that thread about incomes to support some ridiculous argument of Galt67's.

Go back and cite/quote anyone, tko included who argued monthly incomes of 100,000 Baht were the majority or even normal. I'll wait but it will be a long silent one unless you make something up or use that fertile imagination. Those I read were making points that 100,000 Baht incomes were not unusual, and certainly not limited to 1% of the expats/long stayers, not that they were "normal."

You lost that debate and these chip shots you are taking indirectly at tko in your veiled "sarcasm" are not endearing. They are Gaboronish. What motivates that exactly?

• Upvote 1

We get it, your feelings are hurt because tko made an offhand word play describing Brits as insular, but no reason to extrapolate what was said in that thread about incomes to support some ridiculous argument of Galt67's.

Oh my god. This is absolutely priceless. You're resurrecting finished arguments from the past in threads that people have stopped posting in that also have absolutely nothing to do with you and you're the one that's telling me that my feelings have been hurt? It's plain to see that somewhere along the line I've struck a nerve with you, hence your need to behave in that way. I couldn't care less what he has to say about British people and whether they are insular or not, let's face it, he didn't do a very good job of proving that that statement has any credence to it, all he did was identify the etymology of the word "insular" which didn't support what he had to say at all so I treated it with the disdain that it deserved.

You lost that debate and these chip shots you are taking indirectly at tko in your veiled "sarcasm" are not endearing.

Are "chip" shots the same as "cheap" shots or is this some American term that us Brits aren't familiar with? The way I see it, nobody lost or won that debate. That's just your opinion. tko and I had a difference of opinion and that's never going to change. No point in going round in circles arguing with someone who doesn't see things the same way. You're also confused. tko and I had an argument about Americans and passport ownership so how can comments I'm making about retired people living in Pattaya and their incomes be aimed at him "indirectly?" Stop jumping to conclusions that you can't substantiate and just making things up. It makes you sound like a fool.

What motivates that exactly?

Didn't I ask you the same thing first? Answering my question with the same question speaks volumes about you. What was it that I said that hit a nerve? In actual fact, don't bother explaining. It doesn't take much intelligence to work out what it was and why it was. I can't be bothered to reply to your moronic posts that you've started because you've allowed me to wind you up. I will not reply to any more of your posts either. If you see me in Pattaya, approach me and I'll buy you a drink. We can have a laugh about this exchange of posts and find out what each other are really like, rather than our misleading Internet personas Until then..........

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh my god. This is absolutely priceless. You're resurrecting finished arguments from the past in threads that people have stopped posting in that also have absolutely nothing to do with you and you're the one that's telling me that my feelings have been hurt? It's plain to see that somewhere along the line I've struck a nerve with you, hence your need to behave in that way. I couldn't care less what he has to say about British people and whether they are insular or not, let's face it, he didn't do a very good job of proving that that statement has any credence to it, all he did was identify the etymology of the word "insular" which didn't support what he had to say at all so I treated it with the disdain that it deserved.

Are "chip" shots the same as "cheap" shots or is this some American term that us Brits aren't familiar with? The way I see it, nobody lost or won that debate. That's just your opinion. tko and I had a difference of opinion and that's never going to change. No point in going round in circles arguing with someone who doesn't see things the same way. You're also confused. tko and I had an argument about Americans and passport ownership so how can comments I'm making about retired people living in Pattaya and their incomes be aimed at him "indirectly?" Stop jumping to conclusions that you can't substantiate and just making things up. It makes you sound like a fool.

Didn't I ask you the same thing first? Answering my question with the same question speaks volumes about you. What was it that I said that hit a nerve? In actual fact, don't bother explaining. It doesn't take much intelligence to work out what it was and why it was. I can't be bothered to reply to your moronic posts that you've started because you've allowed me to wind you up. I will not reply to any more of your posts either. If you see me in Pattaya, approach me and I'll buy you a drink. We can have a laugh about this exchange of posts and find out what each other are really like, rather than our misleading Internet personas Until then..........

You do get your feelings hurt often don't you? Why is that? It's just the internet.

I'm not sure what "term" you are unfamiliar with, but irony would definitely be on the list.

There is no need to jump to any conclusions, only read the thread you refer to where you "stopped posting" and then wandered off to this one to make some oblique weak argument that you failed to make on the aforementioned thread. Lame.

But I look forward to that drink or three, maybe tko can join us.

Read the posts I made in the recent thread about retiring or staying long term in Pattaya. Maybe then you'll detect the sarcasm in my post.

This confirms SimplySam's contention that you are the one who referenced the dead and forgotten thread initially.

As I asked you, why would you make such a claim? Nobody said anything like that.

This confirms SimplySam's contention that you are the one who referenced the dead and forgotten thread initially.

As I asked you, why would you make such a claim? Nobody said anything like that.

You quote my answer to your question and then ask me same the question again? I give up! Whether I referenced that thread or not, it wasn't for any reason that involved tko as we had an argument about something unrelated to the subject of that thread and it also didn't concern Simply Sam, there was no need for him to get involved, which he did because I'd wound him up about it although he's trying to do his best to say that I am the one that's been upset. MM, I'm not going to waste any more time on this, if you reply then you won't get an answer from me, this is beyond childish.