Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The Sportsman on Soi 13

On Addicts, rule 28 says, "its against the rules to show protected content to non members." The Addicts' posts I quoted came from an area of the board which isn't protected ("Restaurants, Cafe's, Take Aways & Nightlife Venues" in the Public Forum.)

Evil

:devil

Well as Pattaya Addicts told me..

You do not have permission to view this forum.

So it appeared as protected to me!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strange to take and post a photo of one of the more approachable managers in the business (1st photo), but not to have the common decency to convey one's gripes to him, before attempting a thinly disg

The Sportsman is a popular UK-style pub and restaurant on Soi 13 that's been in operation for 20 years. It therefore pains me a bit to write a negative review of the meal I had at such a venerable e

One up mans ship at it's finest, did someone's little feelers get hurt? I just think it's funny as hell when grown men quibble about restaurant reviews and then it turns into such drivel.  

Posted Images

Well as Pattaya Addicts told me..

So it appeared as protected to me!

The relevant section on Addicts ( Restaurants, Cafe's, Take Aways & Nightlife Venues) is not protected and can be read by non-members.

Evil

The relevant section on Addicts ( Restaurants, Cafe's, Take Aways & Nightlife Venues) is not protected and can be read by non-members.

Evil

As I already said to you, when I try to open a thread I get....

I can see a list of threads... but that is not what we are talking of is it?

• Upvote 1

Hi Evil, I also was their Saturday watching the sports and having a chat with Steve one of the owners. I always welcome your reports on food. I suppose if you had known Steve was just there you could have had a word about the meal as I always find him approachable and eager to make sure the place is working at it's best. This last visit I visited the bar many times as I have over many years and had a feed or two and have got to admit have noticed a quite subtle change in the quality of service. There seems to be a big turnover in staff however I noticed the cook was the usual one. Food took quite awhile to come despite very few customers on some occasions. The Sunday Buffett is still very popular as is their all day breakfasts and they still get many regulars rolling in. I find when one of the owners or general manager is their things go a bit smoother.

Evil

Actually, as jacko says, opening the topic while not logged in fails...but that's likely an error in their forum permissions, since the subforum is "public" and the restaurant forum is not protected...I would say their intention was for it to be searchable by search engines, but somebody didn't set it up correctly (probably too busy adding advertising content to every spare cm of space on the page).

In any event, the other rule, where the cross-poster requires the OP's permission to post applies to you, since you are both the OP and the cross-poster.

Much ado about nothing, and jacko is just looking for ways to rattle your cage. I'd ignore him, if I were you.

Why would he want to do that? :clueless

Evil

Well, assuming my theory is correct that he is in fact looking for ways to rattle your cage...just a theory, of course, then I'll take a leap into the mists of psychological guesswork, and say it's because he thinks you pick on Gabor too much. I personally think it's impossible to pick on Gabor too much...sort of an oxymoron for this forum.

This is all speculation of course.

• Upvote 2

Well, assuming my theory is correct that he is in fact looking for ways to rattle your cage...just a theory, of course, then I'll take a leap into the mists of psychological guesswork, and say it's because he thinks you pick on Gabor too much. I personally think it's impossible to pick on Gabor too much...sort of an oxymoron for this forum.

This is all speculation of course.

Now that's interesting! Vigilante justice on the part of a mod in a thread that has nothing to do with Gabor. It's particularly ironic because Gabor had launched a personal attack on me in this thread and the mods deleted his post. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

But what's jacko's ultimate goal? Is he hoping I'll become so rattled I'll post something that violates board rules so he can "formally" punish me? I'll never get that rattled; he should know that by now.

But I would have speculated in a different direction on jacko's reason for wanting to rattle my cage, at least in this thread. Fatboyfat got himself stuck in a quagmire of his own making and couldn't extricate himself. In the end, he simply gave up, slipping under the muck of his own posts without further struggle, never to be heard from again in this thread. I believe jacko wanted to divert attention from FBF's failed attempts to disrupt my review by suggesting that I, too, was somehow at fault by quoting posts from Addicts. As you noted, that's a total red herring, but it is yet another example of the Chewbacca Defense, or deliberately muddling a discussion/debate/court case so the main issue is lost.

But as you say, this is all speculation.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Hi Evil, I also was their Saturday watching the sports and having a chat with Steve one of the owners. I always welcome your reports on food. I suppose if you had known Steve was just there you could have had a word about the meal as I always find him approachable and eager to make sure the place is working at it's best. This last visit I visited the bar many times as I have over many years and had a feed or two and have got to admit have noticed a quite subtle change in the quality of service. There seems to be a big turnover in staff however I noticed the cook was the usual one. Food took quite awhile to come despite very few customers on some occasions. The Sunday Buffett is still very popular as is their all day breakfasts and they still get many regulars rolling in. I find when one of the owners or general manager is their things go a bit smoother.

Just an aside Ularu, but do you know if they still have Manhattans as part of their portfolio.

Now that's interesting! Vigilante justice on the part of a mod in a thread that has nothing to do with Gabor. It's particularly ironic because Gabor had launched a personal attack on me in this thread and the mods deleted his post. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

But what's jacko's ultimate goal? Is he hoping I'll become so rattled I'll post something that violates board rules so he can "formally" punish me? I'll never get that rattled; he should know that by now.

But I would have speculated in a different direction on jacko's reason for wanting to rattle my cage, at least in this thread. Fatboyfat got himself stuck in a quagmire of his own making and couldn't extricate himself. In the end, he simply gave up, slipping under the muck of his own posts without further struggle, never to be heard from again in this thread. I believe jacko wanted to divert attention from FBF's failed attempts to disrupt my review by suggesting that I, too, was somehow at fault by quoting posts from Addicts. As you noted, that's a total red herring, but it is yet another example of the Chewbacca Defense, or deliberately muddling a discussion/debate/court case so the main issue is lost.

Evil

il

WTF are you on about you arrogant pratt? You posted a "final question" and I posted a final retort, to stop the thread turning into the boring "he said, you said back in 1987" type of crap that you revel in. Surprise, surprise the giant ego "that never posts anything that isn't true" does just that yet again, and continues its attempt to justify what I consider a sly and underhand act, in particular from someone who boasts about pallying up to the managers of nearly every other establishment that he visits. Now, as well has having some mystery personna on another board; I am in cahoots with a moderator here, according the "great one" ....Oh dear two more untruths, Mai Pen Rai! Some kind of tryst with the "Nutty Hungarian" will no doubt be insinuated next, along with me having posted again after stating that I was making a final retort. :rolleyes:

Nothing I have stated on this thread is withdrawn, but I don't see the point of going over the same old stuff again and again with someone who.....oh well, the signature spiel says it all, and always has done.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Fatboyfat
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

WTF are you on about you arrogant pratt? You posted a "final question" and I posted a final retort ...

Jocko didn't succeed in rattling my cage, but it sure looks like I rattled your cage and I wasn't even trying! The phrase "final question" referred to the final question (actually, there were two) in post #8, not my final question for the thread. In post #8, I asked you five other questions, none of which you answered.

Nothing I have written in this thread is untrue. You are reading things into my posts that I never wrote, just like you attributed motivations for my review that I never had. For reasons of your own, you're giving my words an interpretation I never intended. To write a negative review of a bad meal is not a "sly and underhanded act." Never have have I boasted "about pallying up to the managers of nearly every other establishment that" I visit. But it's easy to prove me wrong- just cite a review or a report where I've made such a boast. In virtually every case where I know the manager of a restaurant or bar, it's because he has approached me, just as he would any other customer.

This advice has been given to others before and it's particularly apt in your case: when you're in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. And when you're in a quagmire, stop struggling. You only make your situation worse.

Evil

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Evil

Nothing I have written in this thread is untrue

No it cannot, is it so impossible for you to be wrong?

Evil

I felt you were quoting people here from another forum without permission and that was unfair. Not being a member there I was unable to check fully, as it is protected from non-members, rightly or wrongly!!!! You should stop wasting mods time over trivia rather than speculating over mods actions,

Edited by jacko

One up mans ship at it's finest, did someone's little feelers get hurt? I just think it's funny as hell when grown men quibble about restaurant reviews and then it turns into such drivel. :clueless :hijack :llaugh :sosad

CB

Cat fight in aisle 3.
  • Upvote 2

One-upmanship at it's finest, did someone's little feelers get hurt? I just think it's funny as hell when grown men quibble about restaurant reviews and then it turns into such drivel. :clueless :hijack :llaugh :sosad

CB

I quite agree, and apologise for protracting it out. :blush: I should have said my piece, and left it at that.

Cat fight in aisle 3.

"Fatboyfat has left this building" but I'm sure the giant ego will continue to "entertain"! :rolleyes:

Edit; Just sorting out some grammar.

Edited by Fatboyfat

Just back from 10 days of heavy duty traveling and in due order, I'll get back to some of the other points raised in this thread. But for now, I'll post the response of the general manager of The Sportsman to my review on Trip Advisor.

"DartfordDarren, General Manager at The Sportsman Pub, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hi

Firstly apologies if you felt you had a bad experience , we can only apologise if you were not satisfied and hope this does not deter you from future visits

I have taken up the issues regarding your meal wit the kitchen and since revised the recipe for the cheese pies (it was from bbc good food mag)

We will address the fries issue today m not acceptable"
That was a very polite and reasonable response and if for no other reason, I'll change my usual policy and give The Sportsman a return visit in the near future.
Evil
Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

EDIT IN- The price of the Wednesday special described below is now 195 baht.

I tried the Wednesday special at the Sportsman- hamburger, fries and a SML for 150 baht- and I was quite happy with my meal. The burger was good; the fries had improved dramatically since my previous visit; and the price is very much value for money. Here's what I got:

IMG_0604.jpg

I chose to add a slice of cheese for 20 baht. It was also topped with two small slices of tomato and a ring of raw onion. The bun was fresh and nicely toasted and the red oak lettuce leaf added a nutty and spicy touch to the beef patty.

IMG_0605.jpg

The beef patty itself was well-seasoned, which was a good thing, as the patty didn't have a strong beef flavor.

IMG_0605bb.jpg

The thick-cut french fries arrived hot and had been fried to outer crispness, although for my tastes, they should have stayed in the fryer a few more seconds. I realize this may in part be cultural rather than culinary; I know a lot of U.K. diners seem to prefer lightly fried fries. In any case, the fries were much, much better than last time.

IMG_0606.jpg

Can you find bigger and better burgers in Pattaya? Most definitely, but you'll be paying more than 150 baht for them. Considering the special at the Sportsman includes a SML, it's well worth the price.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

Talk about unlucky timing. I just read on another board that Wednesday (March 30) was the final day for the hamburger, fries and SML special at 150 baht. I don't bother with the Facebook food groups any more, so I would have missed that announcement from the Sportsman's general manager.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Hey I think years ago the Sportsman used to sell home made raw sausages to take away (up to the village) not sure if they still do. Anyone know?

Sorry to highjack but it is still to do with the sportsman :-)

Edited by Kev

Talk about unlucky timing. I just read on another board that Wednesday (March 30) was the final day for the hamburger, fries and SML special at 150 baht. I don't bother with the Facebook food groups any more, so I would have missed that announcement from the Sportsman's general manager.

Evil

I wonder why they are stopping that promotion, it is an excellent deal. Oh well Punch and Judy have the same Wed promotion and i live much closer to there

Hey I think years ago the Sportsman used to sell home made raw sausages to take away (up to the village) not sure if they still do. Anyone know?

Sorry to highjack but it is still to do with the sportsman :-)

I thought that was the Pig and Whistle on Soi 7, but maybe the Sportsman also did. I don't know.

I wonder why they are stopping that promotion, it is an excellent deal. Oh well Punch and Judy have the same Wed promotion and i live much closer to there

From what I read, the San Miguel Brewery donated the beer as part of a sponsorship agreement, but now that agreement has been canceled.

Evil

I thought that was the Pig and Whistle on Soi 7, but maybe the Sportsman also did. I don't know.

From what I read, the San Miguel Brewery donated the beer as part of a sponsorship agreement, but now that agreement has been canceled.

Evil

The price has gone up to 195, but it's still the same offer...burger and beer.

Evil

Hi Evil I think you are right, do they still sell them does anyone know please?

I saw a post on FB from The Sportsman saying they finished their deal with Inspire and are now making their own patty's

• 1 month later...

When Blondies was opened Darren, the boss or something similar asked the Breakfast Club Pattaya group on the Facebook to recommend him a new burger.... me and an other guy won the competition... Too bad, they are - Darren and the Blondies - already split ... however Darren isn't the guy who forget his promises.... so he offered us to make for us our burger, we created... It became so popular on the BCP , he added this item to his special menu in the Sportmans....just to share with you the co " founder's " and my own report:

SPlb00.jpg

SPlb2.jpg

SPlbb1.jpg

His report:

Lamb burger - Sportsmans Pub

Gábor and me are the grandfather of the new Lamb Burger with Cheddar and Yoghurt-mint sauce, originally created for Blondies...
We finally tried it at Sportsmans Pub.
The Lamb Burger came with mixed sweet potatoe and regular fries. And how can I put it in words, just fantastic: Intense lamb flavor on every bite, yoghurt mint sauce not too strong, but a perfect match. My best lamb burger by far in Pattaya. Gábor, do u agree?

Big thx to Darren Low. We will surely order that again.

My report:

Martin ... you already wrote almost everything, nothing to disagree... Even used my jolly joker photo I posted on my time line tongue hangulatjel ... you missed to make yours, because you was too hurry to jump on the burger I mean photo shows the full menu.... I will go eat in the future only alone.... OK, just joking mate, you made a great report.

OK, now my very own thoughts... The burger was on the border... only one piece of patty in the bun, so as usual I started to eat with my fingers... but I was wrong... It was still huge, so I better raped myself again and ate it on the civilised way, with forks and knives... ( the reason you could make the segment photo of my burger ) You was more brave, than me, you fighted with the burger between your fingers, sometimes I saw only the top of your head dive in the plate...good job...I failed... hehe, I tried a few times also with my fingers and you asked me: Are you hungry ?? Hahaha... yes I was...

I’m proud of us being the creators of this masterpiece... I added the idea of the lamb burger ( what it seems new only for me ) , you added something much more important: the mint yoghurt sauce... The first bite.... at thrill on my spine... yessss... the strong taste of the lamb... AND... the strong mint flavor... Simple perfect harmony... However without the talented hands of Darren both of us would be only dreamers... Just one criticism... The salad you don’t even touched ( a great idea IMO... OK.. Ok... I like everything with some veggies or salads, but it is only my own craze...) was served with thai sweet chilli sauce as a dressing ( I’m only hope I was right ) what idea I liked very much... BUT...some spicy taste disturbed the whole experience... I doubt it was the dressing, probably some jalapenos in the burger... I would throw it out... if it was the situation, despite I like very much the pickled jalapenos... but not in this burger.... The lamb flavor and the mint aromat is enough to be perfect...

One more thing...I never ever tried the sweet potato french fries... when I wanted my usual traditional french fries, Darren with a pawky smile offered me the mix... and he was right... I liked more the sweet potato fries.... ( the darker fries ) Verdict: Fucking good grin hangulatjel

• Upvote 1