Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Just another City Hall Experiment

Saw them working on this over the weekend.

Second Road opposite Big C and Sabai Dee Massage.

Now it is finished must be a record for the longest ever Zebra crossing, at least 40-Metres.

And you guessed it the lights don't work.

DSC01971 (Small).JPG

DSC01972 (Small).JPG

DSC019730 (Small).JPG

I can tell you, not one car will stop !

Yes, I can't see cars giving up 40 meters of leeway for a tourist crossing the street.

If they made it any longer, they might just as well extend it the whole length of 2nd Road and say "Cars must yield to all pedestrians".

They need to make some sort of pedestrian bridge.

Pattaya has been "crying out" for some of those since the Eighties. Obviously nobody will cough up the money. They had one planned across Sai 2 when the first Big C was being built, and 2-3 bars were to go from the old Soi 2 complex to facillitate it, but it never materialized.

I can tell you, not one car will stop !

Especially if they hit a pedestrian! :rolleyes:

If they made it any longer, they might just as well extend it the whole length of 2nd Road and say "Cars must yield to all pedestrians".

Works in Oman! Would thin the population out extensively in Thailand! :bhappy

Sabai-Dee sure has some clout to get it's own pedestrian crossing!

Let us see how they do when we run out of water.

• Upvote 1

Sabai-Dee sure has some clout to get it's own pedestrian crossing!

Let us see how they do when we run out of water.

A clout drought........?

• Upvote 1

To accomodate Chinese coach parties??

I am not sure whether you speak in jest there or not, but with it's location; You could well be right! :nod

To accomodate Chinese coach parties?

Or accommodate those crossing over from 'Drinking Street' who may be doing the one forward, 2 to the side and a slight stumble to a baht bus on Beach Rd.

I am not sure whether you speak in jest there or not, but with it's location; You could well be right! :nod

Spoken partly in jest, but as you note the location means that that is a possible explanation.

Look out for one appearing near Hard Rock Hotel where the tour parties cross over to the speedboats.?

Why the hell would you make a zebra crossing that loooonnnngggggg!!!! :clueless

It gives the ambulances more space to park when they come to pick up the bodies! :bhappy

KM

I'm not testing it's effectiveness.

With a few months driving in Pattaya now, I won't say zebra crossings are completely ignored, but I certainly don't rely on them when I'm walking.

With a few months driving in Pattaya now, I won't say zebra crossings are completely ignored, but I certainly don't rely on them when I'm walking.

Riding a bike in Pattaya, you CAN'T stop because the traffic behind you will cream you.

While waiting for my car to get washed, I had occasion yesterday to use a zebra crossing on Thapprasit Road. Amazingly, I am still here to write about it. Cars actually stopped for me...and no, I don't hold out my hand to ward them off.

Maybe they ordered too much paint.

If they did, it was cheap stuff.... It is fading already! Passed it for the first time yesterday; despite the red and white kerb markings, Baht busses were aligned the whole length of it ! :rolleyes:

While waiting for my car to get washed, I had occasion yesterday to use a zebra crossing on Thapprasit Road. Amazingly, I am still here to write about it. Cars actually stopped for me...and no, I don't hold out my hand to ward them off.

Is there some trick to it... I thought holding up of the hand might be obligatory.

I doubt I could turn up my collar and just look downwards and march across.

Was traffic especially light?

Is there some trick to it... I thought holding up of the hand might be obligatory.

I doubt I could turn up my collar and just look downwards and march across.

Was traffic especially light?

TBH, when someone does the held out hand gesture, I am tempted to run them down. I think it incites that emotion in many, especially Thais, because it's so arrogant to think that you, the pedestrian, in the sights of the hood ornament of the oncoming car, can command them to stop by holding out your hand.

Normally, people will stop without such an arrogant gesture..and if they don't, you should be ready to leap.

I did, of course, keep my eye on oncoming traffic...but yes, I kind of cheated, because it was near the Sukhimvit junction, and traffic was going to slow anyway.

My tried and true method of simply jay-walking "frogger style" works so far. Having read this topic, I was curious what would happen in a zebra crossing.

When I am confident enough a driver will let me cross to risk my life on it, I will wave, but that is solely to acknowledge a courtesy.

• Upvote 1