Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

It's not just the bar fines in Pattaya that are overtaking Bangkok. On my last couple of trips i have been able to get five star hotels in Bangkok much cheaper than in Pattaya. For my upcoming trip on my chosen dates the cheapest room in the Hilton Pattaya was 7000 baht per night without breakfast and 9000 baht up if you wanted a seaview. I think i will stick with my mid range monger friendly hotels for the Patts sector!

It's not just the bar fines in Pattaya that are overtaking Bangkok. On my last couple of trips i have been able to get five star hotels in Bangkok much cheaper than in Pattaya. For my upcoming trip on my chosen dates the cheapest room in the Hilton Pattaya was 7000 baht per night without breakfast and 9000 baht up if you wanted a seaview. I think i will stick with my mid range monger friendly hotels for the Patts sector!

Did you try any of the hotel booking sites? I haven't looked for a while, but I've gotten some excellent deals that way. For example, I once got three nights at the JW Marriot in Bangkok for about $55 a night.

Did you try any of the hotel booking sites? I haven't looked for a while, but I've gotten some excellent deals that way. For example, I once got three nights at the JW Marriot in Bangkok for about $55 a night.

I didn thanks Js although its becoming more common for some of the better known chains to guarantee the best rates via their own sites. I often use Agoda and have booked Page 10 hotel with them for this trip at 50% below the cheapest price available on the hotels own website

I occasionally book The Dusit via Agoda and pick up a deal.

I wonder how they fill a hotel at 9000 a night, I have some rich friends but they wouldn't be up to that.

For people on vacation, 9000 might be OK. You can easily spend that much in many of the world's big cities.

For people on vacation, 9000 might be OK. You can easily spend that much in many of the world's big cities.

I would have thought the destination in question (Pattaya ) was not place for 9000 travelers, or if it is,I have never met any.

• Upvote 1

I would have thought the destination in question (Pattaya ) was not place for 9000 travelers, or if it is,I have never met any.

I think lots of Pattaya tourists have that kind of money. Anyway, the hotel seems to be doing OK.

Personally, I probably wouldn't waste that kind of money on a hotel room in Pattaya. Maybe someday if I win the lottery..

I think lots of Pattaya tourists have that kind of money. Anyway, the hotel seems to be doing OK.

Personally, I probably wouldn't waste that kind of money on a hotel room in Pattaya. Maybe someday if I win the lottery..

I checked again yesterday and for my dates the " cheaper " 7000 baht rooms are now no longer available so they certainly don't appear to be struggling. For me what i am prepared to pay for a hotel depends primarily on the hotel but also on the location. I frequently pay the equivalent of 7000 to 9000 baht in some cities but for me as cicero said Pattaya isn't (yet) a 9000 baht a night destination, especially when i can easily find a choice of five star hotels in Bangkok at 4000 to 5000 baht a night

And back in the day post 97 crash and spectacularly after the dot com boom, you could live in the JW on Soi 2 Bangkok for around $40 a day. I did for quite a while.

Better to have 70% occupancy at Bt7000 upwards than drop to Bt3500 and get 100% occupancy.

Plus, ironically, the more your room costs, the more you can charge for other hotel items, particularly the food and beverages and if you can afford Bt10,000 for a room, the likelihood is that you can afford a decent dinner, perhaps a spa, some drinks etc. whereas a cheaper price would attract guests who can only just afford the room rate and go to eat in the street carts outside.

For some people staying in a high end hotel is part of the holiday and they have allowed for it within their budget especially if they get access to spa's and gyms etc as part of the deal , personally i can not see the point in paying silly money for a room that your basicly just going to sleep in , i would rather stay in a place that's a lot cheaper and spend the money saved on having fun......!

The Marriott Pattaya usually has rooms in the 4000's, especially if you pay in advance. You'll pay closer to the 6000s for sea view.

I wouldn't class the Pattaya Marriot as a "High End" hotel. I used the chain extensively when working, and it is not up to the standards met elsewhere in the world by Marriot.

I wouldn't class the Pattaya Marriot as a "High End" hotel. I used the chain extensively when working, and it is not up to the standards met elsewhere in the world by Marriot.

Best pool in Pattaya by a country mile, all rooms refurbished in the last 24 months, breakfast still very good, room service 24/7 is on a par with anything else in town, fantastic location which blots out all noise from both Beach Road and 2nd Road, strong, fast, free and unlimited internet, easy late check out, pre pay and post pay member discounts bringing it well down in price, mall next door, low redemption points required.

It wouldn't knock the top Marriotts of their perch I agree but you can't get them for group 5 redemptions or for £100 a night or less including breakfast.

And back in the day post 97 crash and spectacularly after the dot com boom, you could live in the JW on Soi 2 Bangkok for around $40 a day. I did for quite a while.

That was a deal. The few times I stayed there I did so cheaply. The rest of the time, when I stayed in that area, I was probably in the Majestic Suites.

It always amazes me why some people will pay big money for a room they only sleep and screw in. It certainly doesnt impress the girls, and they will expect a bigger paypacket when they leave.

• Downvote 1

It always amazes me why some people will pay big money for a room they only sleep and screw in. It certainly doesnt impress the girls, and they will expect a bigger paypacket when they leave.

Too much money perhaps?

• Downvote 1

Too much money perhaps?

Or enough money perhaps!

Sometimes people prefer to pay more to get better facilities or security.

There is often quite a gap between a 3 star where you fight for breakfast with the Chinese and have Nigerians climbing into your room to the 5 star that turns down your bed for the evening. In Pattaya and Bangkok that high end is more reasonable, in London or New York, prohibitive.

• Upvote 3

Higher end hotels have a better mattress. I like a good nights sleep and when I wake up my back doesn't hurt. IMHO, Westin has the best mattress. My wife and I liked it so much. We bought one.

To each their own. If I was coming to Pattaya with my late wife I would have love to stay at the Marriot again as I have stayed there in the past. I have however graduated to a condo block and enjoy the company of the long term residents and there always interesting people in the place. My room is basic but has everything that I want and at just over 500 baht a night long time stay and in the thick of the Soi Buakhao area it will take a crowbar to shift me.

There is room for accommodation at all prices and punters prepared to pay the prices asked but I moved on ages ago and have zero ego about my room in Pattaya.

Why wouldn't the girls enjoy staying in a nice hotel ? Is it for the same reason that they are not bothered what you dress like or how you smell.
  • Upvote 1

The girls I've met were indifferent about rooms, seeing as how it was short term for them, then back to there bed on the floor with 3 other girls.

I seemed to get the same impression mostly, except when I stayed at The Nova Park or Residence Garden and they noticed the separate living area and bedroom.