Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Security check at Schipol on arrival.

Yesterday evening when disembarking KL 0876 from BKK, I was surprised to have to go through a security check & scanner immediately on getting off the plane and from overheard comments it appears that this was also a surprise to the other passengers.

Whether this is a new procedure or a one-off for this particular flight I've no idea but it would be as well to be aware of the possibility. For example I'm well aware of the rules but was caught out by having tucked one of the free bottles of water off the plane into my bag, expecting the check to be done just before departing on my connecting flight.

There are implications for anyone with a short connection (or for those with beards and middle eastern appearance who have arrived from less secure airports!)

Didn't happen to me 3 weeks ago,have read about people in transit getting collared and having to pay tax on stuff they have brought.

Customs is a different issue. In the past, had you been able to board your connecting flight without again going through security?

FWIW, at Taipei, Seoul Incheon, and Narita, transit passengers always go through security before having access to anything other than hallways.

Thinking about a bit more, I did notice this (upstairs) security facility while wandering around the airport a couple of weeks ago when I had time to spare.

It was deserted then, no staff or public in evidence, so perhaps it has just been been commissioned, It is state of the art with baskets magically appearing from under the counter to be loaded up & a twin track conveyor belt exiting the x-ray machines for searchable/non searchable bags.

There is one full body scanner (possibly for the specific folks I mentioned above) and normal scanners for normal folk. I had to go through the full body one, lol.

Customs is a different issue. In the past, had you been able to board your connecting flight without again going through security?

FWIW, at Taipei, Seoul Incheon, and Narita, transit passengers always go through security before having access to anything other than hallways.

On the way out my bag was only scanned at my departure airport (Norwich) and wasn't scanned again at Schipol, hence my surprise this time.

i wonder if this is part of the general European response to the migrant/terrorist flow?

Security check on arrival has been standard for a few years at most of the airports where I have transited.

Schipol was always the exception with a polite but very professional security check at the departure gate, so they may be falling into line with the rest of the world.

Have they done away with the check at the departure gate?

Security check on arrival has been standard for a few years at most of the airports where I have transited.

Schipol was always the exception with a polite but very professional security check at the departure gate, so they may be falling into line with the rest of the world.

Other years I've had the check at the departure gate,however this year when I flew out on the 28th Feb I wasn't checked at all, hence my surprise at the check on arrival, as I've never come across this before. Does Heathrow also do security on arrival now? (not flown from there for some years)

Since bottles of water can be purchased in the airport I wonder about that too.

You can imagine a disembarkation backlog of confiscating liquids (duty free) and having to sort transit passengers from Amsterdam bound ones.

Dubai is the only place I can think of that I have not had to go through security in transit of late. That could be as the transit takes place in the same terminal, just different "concourses", for the Glasgow flights.

Other years I've had the check at the departure gate,however this year when I flew out on the 28th Feb I wasn't checked at all, hence my surprise at the check on arrival, as I've never come across this before. Does Heathrow also do security on arrival now? (not flown from there for some years)

I don't know about Heathrow, but security check on arrival for transit passengers has been normal for a few years at Istanbul, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Mumbai. I'm pretty sure people not in transit were directed straight to immigration and the others to security and on to the departure lounge.

I can remember seeing duty-frees from Heathrow being confiscated at Mumbai

Edited by lounge_lizard

The security scan on arrival from Bangkok has been in place for a while now, I always use China Airlines with a connection to Glasgow.

The individual gate security has now gone.

Going East, the only security check for me is at Glasgow, nothing on arrival at Amsterdam