Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Tsunami Sushi Buffet on 3rd Road

My favorite sushi restaurant, and echo your comments. The food is fresh, quickly prepared to order, the place is loud and has bad acoustics like an echo chamber, but for pure gluttony, it can't be beat. I'm always stuffed when I leave.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That looks very appetizing Evil , thanks for posting...

On a side note , do they offer a take away at a set price , as i would not enjoy it if the place was really noisy.... : )

They have fixed prices on various sushi and sashimi "sets" and combinations that can be "taken away," but I don't think it is a significant part of their business. The big attraction of Tsunami is "all you can eat" at a fixed price.

Should you want to enjoy Japanese food in more peaceful surroundings, Yamato on Soi 13/1 near Beach Road would be a good choice.

Evil

:devil

• 2 weeks later...

The tempura especially looks much better than the fare at Fuji Restaurant and Zen, which my Japanese friends consider reasonably good for a chain restaurant.

EP, salmon and particularly ikura (salmon roe) are rich in astaxanthin, an antioxidant that helps heal fatty liver, something of a problem for us social drinkers.

Two questions: Where exactly on Third Road is this joint?

And could we merge the two Tsunami threads?

Edited by MeGoDanceNow

The tempura especially looks much better than the fare at Fuji Restaurant and Zen, which my Japanese friends consider reasonably good for a chain restaurant.

EP, salmon and particularly ikura (salmon roe) are rich in astaxanthin, an antioxidant that helps heal fatty liver, something of a problem for us social drinkers.

Two questions: Where exactly on Third Road is this joint?

And could we merge the two Tsunami threads?

The tempura was the best I've had in Pattaya. Good to know about salmon roe and the liver, I'll be sure to order it every time I have sushi.

Tsunami is located on the east side of 3rd Road between Soi Chaiyapoon and Soi Xcyte. I marked Tsunami with yellow on the map.

Tsunami.JPG

It's up to MM or the mods to merge the threads, but I have no objection.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

I think merging the threads might cause some confusion...already jacko thought EP was dating my wife and that was without merging!

I think merging the threads might cause some confusion...already jacko thought EP was dating my wife and that was without merging!

We all thought that.......but we don't think they've merged as yet. There's still time to save your marriage MM.... :smile:

• Upvote 1

We all thought that.......but we don't think they've merged as yet. There's still time to save your marriage MM.... :smile:

I'm much too culturally conservative to even contemplate inviting out another man's wife!!oh-my-gosh-smiley.jpg

Evil

The tempura was the best I've had in Pattaya. Good to know about salmon roe and the liver, I'll be sure to order it every time I have sushi.

Tsunami is located on the east side of 3rd Road between Soi Chaiyapoon and Soi Xcyte. I marked Tsunami with yellow on the map.

attachicon.gifTsunami.JPG

It's up to MM or the mods to merge the threads, but I have no objection.

Evil

Thanks! My Japanese excellence friends will be in town in a few weeks and I'll take them to see what they think of it.

EP,

Thanks for the excellent write up. I walk by the place regularly, but have never entered as there seems to be a few more new Japanese restaurants in town. I will now try this place.

I love salmon sashimi which is what i get every week when we eat at Oishi Buffet at The Avenue mall. At Oishi Restaurant (540 baht), there are also almost all Thai customers unlike the Shabushi Restaurants (3xx baht) which attract many of my big eating farang friends :). Tsunami seems to be priced exactly between Oishi and Shabushi.

Thanks also for the note to either call ahead or visit early in the evening.

Edited by losgrad

Thanks also for the note to either call ahead or visit early in the evening.

Yes, call ahead for reservation to avoid the 40 minute wait we had the last time we went.

Alternatively, come around 11pm, when the place starts clearing out...they do close at midnight, but 1 hour of gorging should be enough for most people.

Yes, call ahead for reservation to avoid the 40 minute wait we had the last time we went.

Alternatively, come around 11pm, when the place starts clearing out...they do close at midnight, but 1 hour of gorging should be enough for most people.

Yes, these days one hour at a buffet is plenty for me to gorge myself, but i will likely aim for the 5 pm opening time. At 11 pm, i want to be on WS, Soi 6 or getting a 'good' massage :). Good food and entertainment in the same night. This is a great retirement! :).

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 1

I have to emphasize that it really is necessary to call and reserve a table if you want to avoid a lengthy wait. The other night, my companion called around 7 pm, but was told nothing was available until 10 pm. That was too late, so we went elsewhere.

No doubt, Tsunami is extremely popular among Thais.

Evil

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday, i walked in alone at 8:33 pm and there were two 2 seat tables and one 4 seat table open, but a Thai couple sitting at a 4 seat table invited me to sit at their table. I declined and sat at my own table. I must have hit it just right. I was the only non-Thai in the restaurant. The 4 seat table was being cleaned.

I ordered some of my favorites: hot green tea, miso soup, shrimp and vegetable tempura, salmon sashimi x 2, tuna sashimi and saba shioyaki. The server recommended the nigiri sashimi set, but I was full. The sashimi was very fresh, almost too much so, but in this climate and environment probably for the best. The tempura was good and the saba was a good size piece of fish. After my initial orders, my secondary requests arrived within 10 minutes. There was no unagi which can be expensive so that was understandable in a buffet setting.

Next time i'll come with a larger appetite so i can try the sushi items (i don't like to fill up on white rice).

For big eaters who enjoy Japanese foods, it's definitely a strong recommendation, so a couple of my bigger USA expat friends will visit after Songkran.

P.S. I also tried a couple of the restaurants at the new Harbor Mall such as Shabushi (same as the other two in town except for the 'maze-like' setup) and "Tuna Ichiban" Japanese Restaurant but i'll wait for EP to do a full pictorial report to add :). Tuna Ichiban had a queue every afternoon since it opened, but the food is "excellent" just like my mother use to make. It can be expensive for bigger appetites even with their menu being discounted (at least according to the "XX" on every menu item). Nigiri Unagi was 60 baht each (discounted from 120 baht) and i could easily eat a dozen if that's all i was eating :).

Enjoy the expanding options of our growing city.

I used to order nigiri unagi off the all you can eat offering. Sadly, last time I went there, they weren't carrying unagi anymore.

It was a good deal at 45 baht too!

• Upvote 1

I used to order nigiri unagi off the all you can eat offering. Sadly, last time I went there, they weren't carrying unagi anymore.

It was a good deal at 45 baht too!

Unagi (eel) usually costs twice as much as any of the other items. Not sure why that is, it's basically a fish that lives in ditches, you 'd think they could catch it anywhere.

Unagi (eel) usually costs twice as much as any of the other items. Not sure why that is, it's basically a fish that lives in ditches, you 'd think they could catch it anywhere.

I think it might be the preparation involved that puts the price up, with the cooking to a certain temperature etc.

I find Japanese restaurants tend to import more often than other nationalities (even in UK) when they have concerns over freshness or hygiene. Hence relative priciness.

Slippery buggers......