Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I flew with Southern China last year,i cannot warn people enough...Do not ever fly with this Airline.The plane turned up late at Swampy and I missed my connecting flight to Sydney.Had to stay the night at a one star hotel in Guangzou provided by the Airline. and had to share my room with a complete stranger.

When I complained,the hotel staff replied...go sleep at the Airport then....Bunch of cunts, the lot of them

And that gentlemen is how a thread goes somewhat off-track!

Goat Roping at the Steamboat Rodeo

great one minute example of a 'goat rope' on youtube.

I won't go Air China again but considering 'Premium Economy with China Air this summer.

Edited by JONPAT

I hope the OP comes back and clarifies whether he is talking about Air China, the flag carrier of the People's Republic of China (mainland China) or China Airlines, the flag carrier of the Republic of China (Taiwan). I've flown both and haven't had any particular problem with either, but I would definitely choose China Airlines over Air China. However, if I have a real choice, I'd avoid both.

There are two big hassles with all mainland China airlines: 1) if you have a flight that connects through a mainland airport, you must have your onward flight validated at a special transit counter. That's where the goat rope comes in. The lines can be huge and it's very disorganized. Suddenly a group of 30 or 50 people will be ushered to the front of the queue. Waiting times of two or three hours aren't unusual for economy passengers. Because I fly biz and can use the priority lane, the longest wait I've experienced is 45 minutes, but that is goddamned bad enough. The airport simply doesn't have enough staff to handle the load in timely fashion; and 2) delays and cancellations are frequent and the mainland airlines provide very little support. That can be a true nightmare.

Bottom line: avoid any mainland carrier if you can.

Goat rope was originally cowboy slang. Novice cow herders began by learning to rope goats in a pen because it was less dangerous than trying to rope a cow. It would end up very confused, with people expending a lot of energy for little result.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

I am a Gold Member on "China Airlines" out of Taiwan. They have a decent VIP lounge in Bangkok, Tokyo, San Francisco and a super one in Taiwan, but horrible out of Honolulu. Since the lounges are all you can eat and drink, i often pass on the meals on the plane. Seating is Economy, new Premium Economy and Business.

Flight attendants are attractive and polite. Easy to check the website for less expensive travel days.

https://www.china-airlines.com/us/en/

I am a Gold Member on "China Airlines" out of Taiwan. They have a decent VIP lounge in Bangkok, Tokyo, San Francisco and a super one in Taiwan, but horrible out of Honolulu. Since the lounges are all you can eat and drink, i often pass on the meals on the plane. Seating is Economy, new Premium Economy and Business.

Flight attendants are attractive and polite. Easy to check the website for less expensive travel days.

https://www.china-airlines.com/us/en/

What, in general terms, is the benefit of Premium Economy v. Economy and the price differential?

What, in general terms, is the benefit of Premium Economy v. Economy and the price differential?

Premium Economy seating has a little more leg room and width. For taller and larger people, it's probably a better 'fit' otherwise the economy seats can be compact.

Price differential can be up to 50% more or just a bit more depending on travel dates.

Last fall when one of my long-time H.S. friends visited for the first time, i strongly recommended he book "Premium Economy" as he is 6'2" and has bad knees and other joints, but is height weight proportionate. He thought the seating was fine, but questioned whether it was worth $400 more for his RT fare. If he was in economy, i truly believe he would have suffered especially if all seats were full.

• Upvote 1