Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Great photos, thanks for posting.

I also visited the Chiang Rai area at the end of last year but gave the actual city a miss and stayed around the Doi Tung area around 20KM north of the city. Plenty of things to see and do and as you say much more relaxed than Chiang Mai. Hoping to return to the area again later this year.

That must be a new charge implemented for Wat Rong Kuhn it was definitely free last year, also free parking opposite.

Regards

Edited by Fireman Sam
  • Upvote 1

I don't like Chiang Mai at all but I could live in Chiang Rai. Not a big mongers place but you only need one lady and there are enough to choose from. I have a farang friend who lives about 40 kilometers south of the city. You pass the White Temple on the way.He lives near Phan.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for that RT. (Kawp kun "chow"). I lived in Chiang Rai some 20 years ago, for 3 years, with one of my "paper marriage" wives. It is good to see the changes. Back then many of the dwellings outside of the relatively small city were similar to those you show of the hilltribes. Half of my adopted family did quite literally still live in the trees! I was always very wary of visiting their homesteads, being of quite tall, and although normal for my height, a weight not conducive to my perception of a "safe working load" for the buildings! I became "very native" up there at that time, as there was very little English spoken, and almost no outlets for farang food, other than a very limited selection in the 3 or 4 large hotels that were there at the time. The few "bars" as we know themwere sort of "hippy" orientated, and p4p was very "undercover" and only really dealt with Thais, but not exclusively :nod: :lol: and not intentionally either. IMHO, and untypically stereotyping, the best looking of all the Thai girls come from this region. The missus does not agree!!! :dbh :lol:

I have always found the difference between Chiang Mai, and Chiang Rai immense, probably the fact that the name has only 1 translit letter difference, leads one to compare the two places.

• Upvote 1