Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I started reading this thinking it was Evil P writing it, even thinking "oh, MM has let him take Pin out for dinner". Doh!

Nice thick slices of salmon there (I might get some, and some tuna, out of the freezer for lunch now!).... I can see how the raw beef cut in chunks might give a problem, thinly sliced carpaccio is about my limit. Did you eat the whole thing in one mouthful?

Nice report - about what time did the place empty out (last picture)?

Andy

Raw beef can be amazing but it needs to be high quality and the right cut.

Beef tataki, or lightly seared beef, also can be delish.

A huge Japan food boom seems to be sweeping Thailand. A few select Thai spiced up dishes also seem worth trying.

Thanks for tthese reviews.

I started reading this thinking it was Evil P writing it, even thinking "oh, MM has let him take Pin out for dinner". Doh!

Nice thick slices of salmon there (I might get some, and some tuna, out of the freezer for lunch now!).... I can see how the raw beef cut in chunks might give a problem, thinly sliced carpaccio is about my limit. Did you eat the whole thing in one mouthful?

Nice report - about what time did the place empty out (last picture)?

Andy

Haha re EP taking Pin out. She's a picky eater, so I'd not recommend it.

I did eat the whole thing, meat chunks and all in one bite. It worked well once it was out of my sight and in my mouth.

The place emptied by 11pm..about an hour after we got there. From speaking to the owner, it was busy from opening until that time. She did say it had been quiet for many days, and that this particular night (Saturday) was unusually busy. Of course, that's when I also got a hankering for sushi.

• Upvote 1

A huge Japan food boom seems to be sweeping Thailand. A few select Thai spiced up dishes also seem worth trying.

From what I have seen, the Japanese restaurants are extremely popular with Thais. Tsunami's clientele is at least 90% young Thais, allowing for an occasional other nationality to pop in. For the entire time I was there, including the wait time (130 minutes), I was the only westerner in the place.

The boom started 20 years ago

I guess the dental work has been completed, I hope that went well.

Does the Mrs not eat that Thai shrimp dish where it is raw? ( I forget the name)?

There are many where it is simply pickled too.

I guess the dental work has been completed, I hope that went well.

Does the Mrs not eat that Thai shrimp dish where it is raw? ( I forget the name)?

There are many where it is simply pickled too.

Dental work almost finished, but I have been struggling through with a partial fix...I found I can eat more than milk shakes and soup, and there's not a lot of chewing in eating raw salmon and and other sushi items. Supposedly, the process is complete this afternoon...another appt in 30 minutes. :yikes:

The missus doesn't claim to be consistent in her tastes or aversions. And, yes, I've pointed out she eats hoi nong lome (raw oysters etc) and that spicy raw shrimp dish, both of which she loves and orders almost every time we go out. I think it's the eating of the flesh of a fish that bothers her. Certainly, I can understand her reluctance to eat that raw beef, though I've less fear of that now, and might do it again if I trust the vendor. Saves cooking time :P

There was a big campaign to deter Thais from eating raw beef (it was a greatly favoured dish in the North) back in the mid-90s, around the time of the "mad cow" disease era. Maybe that aversion to raw beef (my missus is the same) harks back to the formative school indoctrination back then.

Dental work almost finished, but I have been struggling through with a partial fix...I found I can eat more than milk shakes and soup, and there's not a lot of chewing in eating raw salmon and and other sushi items. Supposedly, the process is complete this afternoon...another appt in 30 minutes. :yikes:

The missus doesn't claim to be consistent in her tastes or aversions. And, yes, I've pointed out she eats hoi nong lome (raw oysters etc) and that spicy raw shrimp dish, both of which she loves and orders almost every time we go out. I think it's the eating of the flesh of a fish that bothers her. Certainly, I can understand her reluctance to eat that raw beef, though I've less fear of that now, and might do it again if I trust the vendor. Saves cooking time :P

I recall in the village the men were sitting around and drinking beer and eating raw pork, which I declined.

Not just because I was worried about raw pork, but I was still shaken from hearing the poor beast squealing for 20 minutes as a botch-job of killing it was exercised. My Mrs is particularly fussy and restricts my dining somewhat... no beef, lamb, duck, shellfish and offal. etc etc :yawn:

She avoided ice-cream for years until once sampling mine on a flight, commenting how it tastes good.... she must think I eat these things because they don't!

Edited by jacko