Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hickory Butcher - moved, but still the best

For the last couple of years, I've bought my beef, salmon, lamb, ribs, minced beef, minced lamb, and even foie gras from Hickory Butcher. They had a retail outlet on Thappraya in front of the Royal Hill Resort on the southern part of Thappraya as it descends to Thapprasit.

They have chilled Australian Angus, Wagyu (grade 4-5), and lamb which they will cut to order, even removing excess fat before it is weighed (at your request).

They also sell wholesale to a limited number of restaurants that are serious about their beef products and want to provide the best available ribeyes and tenderloins. Naturally, these restaurants must charge a higher price for a quality product...so their market is limited.

Hickory Butcher has changed locations from their Thappraya shop to a shop on Thapprasit Soi 4. They have updated their location on their Facebook page. Their new map location is https://goo.gl/zZudE1

On their opening day at the new location, I picked up 2 500g wagyu grade 4/5 ribeyes that they cut to order (about 4cm or 1.5 inches thick).

The pictures that follow show the shop and one of the steaks I cooked last night...the steak was first baked at 275F until the internal temperature was 125F, then rested for 10 minutes, then grilled in a highly heated grilling pan for a minute or so on each side. I was shooting for medium rare...

I split the 500g steak with the missus...tender, juicy, and full of flavor. I loathe eating a chewy piece of beef, and so I seldom go out to restaurants for a steak. This particular steak's cost to me was about 800 baht for 500g, cut into two 250g pieces. I don't think a restaurant could charge less than 900 baht for a relatively small 250g steak when the meat itself costs 400 baht for the serving...another reason to cook at home.

Here are the photos of the new location and the cutting of the steaks (woo hoo :P )

2016-04-04 11.23.06.jpg

2016-04-04 11.23.33.jpg

2016-04-04 11.32.49.jpg

2016-04-04 11.32.52.jpg

2016-04-04 11.33.01.jpg

2016-04-04 11.37.22.jpg

And, now the preparation at home..unfortunately, the missus started the sides without realizing how long the steak would take to cook..so the broccoli got a bit overdone. I told her to figure 20 minutes to bake, 10 to rest, 5 to grill...35-40 minutes. Of course, I told her after the fact, so maybe next time the broccoli will look better :P

2016-04-04 19.47.22.jpg

2016-04-04 19.47.46.jpg

Note how this bake-rest-grill method leaves about 90% of the meat at medium rare with a thin layer on each side of grilling. Other methods of cooking have a thinner layer in the middle of medium rare while the edges and top layers are more well done. I have to thank BeerBelly for putting me on to this method of cooking...it's now my standard.

2016-04-04 19.48.43.jpg

2016-04-04 19.50.35.jpg

• Upvote 3

I buy steaks from Hickory now and then also and I agree that they are some of the best to be found in Pattaya. I cook them in a similar fashion but I do it in reverse, I sear them on both sides in a stove-top pan and then put them in the oven for another ten minutes, I've never tried it your way. I looked at their new location on the map, I don't know how well they will do down there off the beaten path. If they couldn't make it at their old location I don't think that they will able to make it at their new location either.

...the steak was first baked at 275F until the internal temperature was 125F, then rested for 10 minutes, then grilled in a highly heated grilling pan for a minute or so on each side. I was shooting for medium rare...

That's how my mom used to do my dad's steaks, except she first seared them for a few seconds at a very high heat on both sides. In her day, a lot of people believed searing "kept the juices in," but that's now known to be largely a myth. Searing developes flavor, but doesn't do much to seal in juices.

My dad liked his beef very well done. The bake, rest and grill method was the only way to keep his steak a little bit moist on the inside. I thought the degree of "doneness" he wanted made the meat dry, tough and flavorless, but that's the way he liked it. He wouldn't touch beef that was the slightest pink inside and the surface had to be very charred. My mom would bake his steaks to an internal temp of about 150F, then the residual cooking during the resting period and the final turn in the grill pan would take to very well done.

This is a good method for those who like well done meat, even though I'm firmly convinced overcooking ruins a steak.

Evil

:devil

Beer Bellys way is the right way for steaks.

I quite often like slow cooked cheap cuts (like ox tails or other cuts with somewhat similar composition) better where all the tendons and stuff has liquified and made the meat extra juicy.

Posted from my mobile so I blame any spelling errors on that.

Edited by Odense

Excellent information and looks fantastic, sadly I do not have an oven!

Be careful, I think this guy is talking degrees Fahrenheit! It would be a waste to turn a nice slab of rib-eye into a cinder-block.

Edited by jacko
Sp
  • Upvote 1

I too have never heard of this way of cooking steak, and rarely fail to dissappoint with my own efforts, to carry out what should be a simple operation! I think I should maybe invest in one of those probe/thermometer/alarm clock thingummies too. I have a couple of top quality 1.5 inch T-bones (or US Porter Steaks actually) in the freezer which I will give the reverse treatment to, at the next opportunity. I really like the idea of not having to "rest" it after the final sear, and therefore having a really hot steak to eat. :thumbup

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For tenderness I marinate overnight with

1/2 glass of red wine

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

Then the rub

Sea Salt

Black Pepper

Steak Seasoning

Rosemary

-I'm livin for givin the Devil his due-

• 4 weeks later...

Cooked the best steak I have ever managed last night using the "reverse sear" method and my new oven thermometer alarm thingummyjig! Thanks for excellent advice MM & BB ! :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

Cooked the best steak I have ever managed last night using the "reverse sear" method and my new oven thermometer alarm thingummyjig! Thanks for excellent advice MM & BB ! :thumbup:

It's fail-proof, consistently cooks to the right level (I go for 122-125F internal temp).

Glad you enjoyed it!

BTW, how thick was your steak? I always have mine cut to 3cm at least, because it's difficult to get the thermometer centered in a narrower cut.

For tenderness I marinate overnight with

1/2 glass of red wine

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

Then the rub

Sea Salt

Black Pepper

Steak Seasoning

Rosemary

-I'm livin for givin the Devil his due-

With a quality piece of meat, I've sworn off any marinade or sauces. For me, the only thing that goes on a good steak is salt and pepper prior to baking/grilling, and fresh sauteed mushrooms.

But, that's just my preference recently. I have lots of steak sauces I've not used in a couple of years now. I should probably toss them.

I have lots of steak sauces I've not used in a couple of years now. I should probably toss them.

The Peter Luger sauce works well on hamburgers and as a salad dressing or on vegetables. It isn't used as an actual steak sauce in the restaurant.

Evil

• Upvote 1

It's fail-proof, consistently cooks to the right level (I go for 122-125F internal temp).

Glad you enjoyed it!

BTW, how thick was your steak? I always have mine cut to 3cm at least, because it's difficult to get the thermometer centered in a narrower cut.

1.5 inch (old git measurements :D ) Bloody great big T-bone/Porter!

• Upvote 1

So cooking this way what internal Temp for a medium as opposed to a MR?

135 Farenheit is suggested for medium. Anything more than medium is probably not worth the trouble.

• Upvote 1

So cooking this way what internal Temp for a medium as opposed to a MR?

Dog, you know I like my steaks Medium, so all I can say is "thank you" in advance. :thumbup

Edited by Butch
  • 2 weeks later...

135 Farenheit is suggested for medium. Anything more than medium is probably not worth the trouble.

Agreed, especially as I prefer rare/mr subject to the quality of the steak

Dog, you know I like my steaks Medium, so all I can say is "thank you" in advance. :thumbup

Yep that was the reason for the question, so I think we will start with 130 Fahrenheit for your first and ease you downwards towards the way steak should be eaten. :thumbup

• Upvote 1

Agreed, especially as I prefer rare/mr subject to the quality of the steak

Yep that was the reason for the question, so I think we will start with 130 Fahrenheit for your first and ease you downwards towards the way steak should be eaten. :thumbup

Teach him well!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Has Hickory Butcher ended its retail operation? I planned to go on a meat-buying trip to Jomtien tomorrow and was checking their FB page for hours of operation. A fresh message says, "WHOLESALE ONLY. Sorry for the inconvenience." What's the story?

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Has Hickory Butcher ended its retail operation? I planned to go on a meat-buying trip to Jomtien tomorrow and was checking their FB page for hours of operation. A fresh message says, "WHOLESALE ONLY. Sorry for the inconvenience." What's the story?

Evil

Yeah, I posted about that a month or so ago, but only on Facebook. They just got around to making it official, I guess.

The last time I went last month, they had only large hunks of beef, nothing for retail purchase.

The owner said at that time they were out of the retail business.

They're spending their energies on the Tsunami Sushi business now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Missed this post and when going there to pick 3kg of USA Ribeye was told they longer serve retail business. So save yourself a journey.

Yep, a business with enough custom in Pattaya to go turning people down! go figure.

Still, the steaks turned out pretty damn good Dog, and I won't forget the look on the guys face when you got hold of the knife and said "this big!".

Edited by Butch

Missed this post and when going there to pick 3kg of USA Ribeye was told they longer serve retail business. So save yourself a journey.

Where did you end up buying your steaks then?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk