Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Unfortunately my kidneys have failed and I need to under go three treatments a week. Anyone here have experience dealing with a Pattaya based dialysis treatment center?

BigD, no experience myself but very sorry to hear of your problem, hope it all works out for you.

I know Bangkok Hospital Pattaya does it to a high standard, but it cost an acquaintance of mine almost 10,000 Baht a pop, a couple of years ago. They may do a reduced price for multiple sessions, but I wouldn't bank on it. I believe Pattaya International Hospital also offer a service, but they are unlikely to be any cheaper, but they do deal in "special offer packages" for different ailments at random times. I personally would not use the place for anything, but some people must, for it to remain in business.

Unless you can get this on insurance, and I would imagine that to be almost impossible, the costs are going to be very prohibitive. The person I knew, who now has to have regular dialysis has not returned to Thailand, and will not be able to do so in the future, unless (in his words) he wins the lottery. He has a "big" birthday coming up, I might look into "sponsoring" a "last hurrah" for him.

My health insurance covers me in foreign countries. I pay the bill and my insurance company reimburses me.

My health insurance covers me in foreign countries. I pay the bill and my insurance company reimburses me.

Your health insurance happily covers your known treatment outside of you home country ?

Your health insurance happily covers your known treatment outside of you home country ?

He probably has a federal retiree plan. There are more than a few such plans, but the ones I've looked into really do pay for treatment just about anywhere in the world. However, if the provider is not a "preferred provider," they plan will reimburse you only after you submit the bill for any charges. I have it, but I've never tried to use it overseas. The one time I went to the emergency room in Phuket, the bill was 180 baht, so I just paid it myself.

Yes.. I didn't really have my US "cells" engaged with regards to my "almost impossible" quote earlier.

I imagine that it wouldn't really matter where you are, if you have to insure for medical costs at home anyway. It is probably cheaper in Thailand (even Bangkok Hospital prices) than in the States anyway, so in theory they should willingly pay up for treatment! :clueless

Big D check your PM's.

My Mum and Dad also use the same kind of Health Insurance as they spend a fair bit of time abroad, you submit the bill, they remove any excess and reimburse the costs in the equivalent in UK sterling at the rate at the time.

Edited by Butch

That is bad news BigD.

Do you really think undertaking a trip from the USA to Thailand is a good idea with this condition....?

If you need treatment so frequently, surely the travel time is a great concern, flight delays could be catastrophic.

You probably know that you may have to restrict eating while on the flights and arrange dialysis soon after arrival.

A six year old thread on Thai Visa

Of course everyone will expect the BHP to be able to accommodate you, but the PIH can also help.

• Upvote 1

That is bad news BigD.

Do you really think undertaking a trip from the USA to Thailand is a good idea with this condition....?

If you need treatment so frequently, surely the travel time is a great concern, flight delays could be catastrophic.

You probably know that you may have to restrict eating while on the flights and arrange dialysis soon after arrival.

Of course everyone will expect the BHP to be able to accommodate you, but the PIH can also help.

My brother was on dialysis for a couple of years so I have some small inkling of what is involved and the impact of dialysis. I would make the arrangements in advance so that you could have an actual appointment.

Check your PM for a point about filling insurance claims.

That is bad news BigD.

I'm just starting the planning stage. So far it looks doable. I can leave on a Saturday and my next scheduled treatment is on Tuesday. I'll have all my treatments setup before I leave.

• Downvote 2

I'm just starting the planning stage. So far it looks doable. I can leave on a Saturday and my next scheduled treatment is on Tuesday. I'll have all my treatments setup before I leave.

Well that and your mobility issues seem a lot to handle and risky.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps he will travel with his own nurse.:-)

Perhaps he will travel with his own nurse.:-)

I live with two BSN nurses. Wife and daughter.

Edited by BigDUSA

I live with two BSN nurses. Wife and daughter.

I was thinking of your wife, but congratulations to your daughter on getting her certification --time flies. I'm sure she would enjoy a trip to Thailand.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking of your wife, but congratulations to your daughter on getting her certification --time flies. I'm sure she would enjoy a trip to Thailand.

They both have been to Thailand a number of times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll be able to drive myself to the hospital for treatment.

I'll be able to drive myself to the hospital for treatment.

You will also have to park a long way from the main building at say the BHP... probably in the multi-storey... so someone to drive and drop you would be better

You will also have to park a long way from the main building at say the BHP... probably in the multi-storey... so someone to drive and drop you would be better

Here's a link to a map of BHP. https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/contact-us/hospital-directory-en.html

The parking garage appears to be close to the dialysis center and there are elevators and ramps. On the other hand, I seem to recall my brother being pretty worn out after a dialysis session. Driving in Pattaya might not be the best thing at that point.

Didn't you have a couple of strokes already? Now your on dialysis and still planning a trip. You are a legend. You should consider caring an AED with you. I've not seen 1 anywhere in the entertainment areas. The girls would probably try to charge their phones with it.

Didn't you have a couple of strokes already? Now your on dialysis and still planning a trip. You are a legend. You should consider caring an AED with you. I've not seen 1 anywhere in the entertainment areas. The girls would probably try to charge their phones with it.

download.jpg

Check with your doctor, some people can do extended dialysis twice a week rather than the normal 3 times ie 2x5hours rather than 3x4hours. This may be anecessary option for your holiday

Curious as to how you alcohol intake is affecrd BigD?

I've had three strokes. My last one damn near killed me. I lost the desire to drink . I do enjoy the occasional beer.