Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

1.jpg

Tuesday night I tried the daily special- Chicken Breast Chasseur (aka Hunter's Chicken) at the Robin's Nest on Soi Diana. It was tasty and substantial, a bargain at 199 baht. They also had a special on pints of Heineken at 99 baht, but I stuck with SML. However, a main dish and a pint of draft beer for 298 baht is one of the better value-for-money meals I've seen in Pattaya.

2.jpg

I got two generous pieces of nicely grilled chicken breast smothered in a sauce of tomato, mushrooms and onions, with sauteed potatoes on the side. In the classic French version of Chicken Chasseur, the sauce features white wine and tarragon. I didn't notice much of a taste of tarragon in the Robin's Nest's dish, but it was still good.

3.jpg

5.jpg

The sauteed potatoes were good. They had a touch of natural sweetness that comes when the potatoes begin to caramelize in the hot oil. It gives a nice balance to the acidity of the chasseur sauce.

4.jpg

I think I already posted the list of daily specials at the Robin's Nest, but here it is again.

6.jpg

The Robin's Nest is also noted for its all-you-can-eat Sunday carvery for 299 baht. A friend and I tried it a few months ago.

7.jpg

8.jpg

It was OK, but I've had better at a similar price. The meat was very thinly sliced and swimming in liquid; the Yorkshire pudding was heavy and tough.

11.jpg

The cottage pie was good, as were the veggies, and the pea soup was excellent. The price included ice cream with chocolate sauce, which is a nice touch.

10.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Bottom line: I'll be back to try the Robin Nest's other daily specials, but I won't rush back for the carvery.

Evil
:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

I tried the carvery at Robins Nest too....twice,in fact....and agree that it's far from upmarket.

Good if your taste buds are failing or you are used to canteen or jailhouse food,but not so impressive if you prefer quality on your plate.

The beef is offered in pre-formed thin slices,reminding me of school dinners I had decades ago,and awash with watery gravy. The Yorkshires are rock hard and burned to a crisp,and most of the veg was drowned in a bath of lukewarm water,making it soggy and bland.

The upside though is that there's plenty of it,so if you're not particularly discerning about quality,then go for it and fill your boots.

The cottage pie was good....massively seasoned with pepper if I remember correctly...but otherwise more than acceptable.

I managed to devour two platefuls on each visit,so got value for money (but only just). Some of the food looked so poor I didn't risk trying it.

• Upvote 2

My view of Robins Nest is that their Western food is of average quality but their Thai food is excellent.

My favourite non-Thai dish there is the Mexican beef - really tasty.

White Pine Cone is a new Italian-ish joint on soi 15 off Walking Street. Perfect for a nosh after a good pissup. Naturally, it's open late to catch the poonhound crowd.

I ordered the pesto and cashew nut fettucine. The pesto sauce was rich and the garlic bread that came with it was really garlicky, made with garlic butter not the diced raw garlic often seen in Thailand. A simple dish but nicely prepared and presented. Best of all, the whole meal set me back an astonishing 117 baht! I drank water but with a beer you would be looking at just over 200 baht I believe.

Drop in and support a young Thai entrepreneur who seems to have found a niche: Tasty food at a reasonable price that isn't the usual pub grub.

White Pine Cone is a new Italian-ish joint on soi 15 off Walking Street. Perfect for a nosh after a good pissup. Naturally, it's open late to catch the poonhound crowd.

I ordered the pesto and cashew nut fettucine. The pesto sauce was rich and the garlic bread that came with it was really garlicky, made with garlic butter not the diced raw garlic often seen in Thailand. A simple dish but nicely prepared and presented. Best of all, the whole meal set me back an astonishing 117 baht! I drank water but with a beer you would be looking at just over 200 baht I believe.

Drop in and support a young Thai entrepreneur who seems to have found a niche: Tasty food at a reasonable price that isn't the usual pub grub.

Is this the restaurant you mean?

pines.jpg

If so, there's already a review of it in this thread: White Pines. If not, we need to distinguish between the two.

Evil

The Robin Hood Tavern has its own thread, but it deserves mention in this thread, too. Quite a few of the dishes on its menu cost less than 300 baht and the daily special usually goes for 199 baht. Portions are not just large but huge and all the meals that I've had so far have been good. High-quality ingredients have been used in the dishes and they have been skillfully prepared. That's not always the case in Pattaya, so I give both respect bow.gif and praise clap3.gif for the effort.

post-6485-0-63571300-1484445590.jpg

Yesterday afternoon I had the daily special, billed "The Fat Friar Tuck" at 199 baht. It consisted of a pan-fired fillet of chicken breast topped with tomato sauce, smoked streaky bacon, mozzarella cheese and spring onions and resting on a bed of garlic potatoes. I ordered a pint of Peroni (175 baht) to go with it. Peroni is a light and crisp Italian pale lager that goes well with food because it doesn't overwhelm or clash with the taste of the food, but I guess a pint of Old Speckled Hen would be a more natural pairing for a chicken dish.

post-6485-0-44205100-1484445594.jpg

The tomato sauce was perhaps a bit too dominant, but otherwise it was fine. The chicken fillet had been breaded properly and fried to just the right point so the meat wasn't dry. The quality and quantity of the mozzarella and bacon topping lifted the flavor.

post-6485-0-96134700-1484445596.jpg

I have eaten quite bit at TRHT since it opened, largely because it's a five-minute walk from my condo. There's no need to venture farther to get a decent meal. Another motivation has been to see if the dishes that had been offered at the Bite Me Bistro were re-emerging at the TRHT. Some of the pics of the Robin Hood daily specials resemble the specials which BMB used to offer.

I don't think that was the case with Saturday's special. "The Fat Friar Tuck" might have been a tentative step by Robin Hood to gentrify Sherwood Forest rather that Bite Me Bistro slumming it. Friar Tuck's chicken was hearty, well prepared and good value-for-money at 199 baht, but also light-years from the sophisticated and creative dishes that were the hallmark of BMB.

One point to emphasize: the portions are large indeed at TRHT. There aren't too many places in Pattaya where you can get that much quality food for 199 baht. thumbsup.gif

Evil

devil.gif

• Upvote 3

Today Robin Hood is starting with its Sunday roast dinners.

post-942-0-50154900-1484450972.jpg

I'm assuming it will be very similar to the Sunday roast at Retox Game On and it was excellent. The small version at 199 baht was more than enough for me. If you like British roast dinners, you might want to try it.

Evil

• Upvote 2

Continuing with TRHT theme, I was in yesterday and ordered a pint of London Pride off the "noon till 5pm" menu and a foot long ham and cheese panini..

Here is a pic of what I was served..

Yep, after each order they very politely and very apologelicaly said "No Hab" and kindly offered the beef which is not what I wanted. So I ordered a house red from the very tempting looking pumps at the bar hoping for something like Wetherspoons draught wine in UK but was downhearted to see them getting out a box of MC from the fridge..Didn't drink it...paid and left..

Thanks Joe for your review. There are two reasons why I think that this place (and others like it) are worth a mention. I, like a lot of others, over eat in those places that have all you can eat for say 299 baht. I hope that you walked away contented simply didnt need any more.

The other point was one that I addressed yesterday in another thread. This was the rising cost of Thailand and my contention that there are a lot of lower price alternatives. I ate at places like Retox (98 baht for the best breakfast in town?), Jolly Friar and smaller Thai restaurants last month and found some great meals for under 200 baht including a drink. If I am driven to have a hamburger I am happy with the cheeseburger, fries and salad at the PBG for 140 baht. Incidentally and also tagging onto my earlier post, all these places were recommended by ex pats living here.

I hasten to mention that looking for enjoying lower cost meals is not because I am mean or needy. It is simply one of my ploys for controlling my weight which would run riot if I ate at some of the places mentioned in the food reviews. Having said that I was starting to get addicted to sweet and sour prawns and the deep fried prawns in my little home cooking Thai place for 100 baht each.

I have had breakfast in Retox 3 days running and I could not manage it all and that was just the bahtbuster @98 baht. Great VFM and a few 2 minutes walk from my room.

• 5 weeks later...

E.P. ... may I ask how often you fall ill from eating out at so many different places? I've fallen ill a few times, so I stick to a couple of places I trust. Btw, I fell ill after eating some curry chicken at Retox in September.

E.P. ... may I ask how often you fall ill from eating out at so many different places? I've fallen ill a few times, so I stick to a couple of places I trust. Btw, I fell ill after eating some curry chicken at Retox in September.

I guess I've been lucky, but I have never gotten food poisoning from a restaurant meal in Pattaya. Doctors have told me I have a strong immune system and that is probably the main reason.

But a couple of things to note:

1) A lot of people are sensitive to different foods and it's not always food poisoning that makes them sick. It can be a type of food allergy that they aren't even aware they have. When traveling abroad, they may consume an ingredient they've never had before and they mistake the allergic reaction for food poisoning.

2) You can get food poisoning in any type of restaurant. Noma in Copenhagen, at the time rated the best restaurant in the world, had 63 diners fall sick from food poisoning in 2013. The U.K.'s Fat Duck had the same thing happen in 2009. A street food vendor in Pattaya can follow good food hygiene practices, while a top restaurant can fall short.

3) People often associate an upset stomach with the most recent meal they've consumed, but often that's not always the case. The viruses and bacteria that cause the most common types of food poisoning have incubation periods that range between eight hours and a week. It's not unusual for people to fall sick the day after they have eaten the tainted item.

4) You are most at risk from foods which have been un-refrigerated for two hours or more. Be very careful with buffets, especially breakfast buffets. Avoid raw, unprocessed food (seafood, meat, vegetables and even fruit) if you're susceptible to stomach problems. One advantage which Asian food has is that it is usually cooked at temperatures (fried, flambeed or boiled) high enough to kill bacteria and viruses. But if the food item is left un-refrigerated for hours, that advantage is lost.

5) Eat a lot of fiber so you have regular bowel movements. Some pathogens you consume can be eliminated from the body before they have a chance to affect you seriously.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

I have had breakfast in Retox 3 days running and I could not manage it all and that was just the bahtbuster @98 baht. Great VFM and a few 2 minutes walk from my room.

Agree. I have been unable to finish my food in there before too....but I never made it in there for a 3rd time...

E.P. ... thank you for the comprehensive reply. Some very good advice. I stay away from any uncooked food such as veggies on vacation. I often live on a simple diet - bananas, apples, freshly cooked eggs and bread - when traveling to avoid sickness. Nothing ruins a trip more than falling ill from food poisoning. But the pictures of your meals are mouth watering and I feel I'm missing out, particularly when Thailand is so well known internationally for great cuisine. Cheers.

I really enjoy eating at White Pines on Walking Street Soi 14. The cook is quite talented and the prices are very very reasonable. The place really reminds me of The Rock Kitchen in a way. It is easy to get in there and get fed for under 300 baht and walk away feeling full and satisfied after having a quality tasty meal.

• Upvote 2

I really enjoy eating at White Pines on Walking Street Soi 14. The cook is quite talented and the prices are very very reasonable. The place really reminds me of The Rock Kitchen in a way. It is easy to get in there and get fed for under 300 baht and walk away feeling full and satisfied after having a quality tasty meal.

Yes, White Pines is very good and for some reason, a bit "underappreciated" by visitors to WS. More about it here, but probably time for an update.

Evil

Yes, White Pines is very good and for some reason, a bit "underappreciated" by visitors to WS. More about it here, but probably time for an update.

Evil

I went to WP last night and ordered the ham and cheese roll along with their bacon burger. Honestly, it wasn't the best thing on the menu, try the calamari and krapao pizza if you want something really nice. But I did have an odd experience last night. I went to open the ketchup bottle and it exploded when I turned the cap. Trying to figure out what happened, I checked online and found this isn't entirely uncommon. Somehow yeast gets in the bottle and starts to ferment the ketchup building up pressure. So if you see a bottle full to the top of ketchup, I'd recommend not opening it as it's not full, it's just full of gas under pressure.

I don't think this is something that would be unique to WP and it won't prevent me from going back. It is just a word of caution as every place in Thailand treats their ketchup pretty much the same way.

• Upvote 1

I tried the carvery at Robins Nest too....twice,in fact....and agree that it's far from upmarket.

Good if your taste buds are failing or you are used to canteen or jailhouse food,but not so impressive if you prefer quality on your plate.

The beef is offered in pre-formed thin slices,reminding me of school dinners I had decades ago,and awash with watery gravy. The Yorkshires are rock hard and burned to a crisp,and most of the veg was drowned in a bath of lukewarm water,making it soggy and bland.

The upside though is that there's plenty of it,so if you're not particularly discerning about quality,then go for it and fill your boots.

The cottage pie was good....massively seasoned with pepper if I remember correctly...but otherwise more than acceptable.

I managed to devour two platefuls on each visit,so got value for money (but only just). Some of the food looked so poor I didn't risk trying it.

I ventured to Robins Nest yesterday evening,expecting to choose from the menu card but was surprised to see buffet selection was still in situ....the time was after 8.30 pm as UK Premiership football was on the television.

Well,being hungry and having the option of choosing an immediate meal I elected to give the buffet a go,and am glad I did.

There was a carving station with a huge block of pork topped with crackling...a lady appeared behind the counter and carved so many slices for me I was a bit worried about eating them all.Again,I shouldn't have been concerned as it was moist and delicious.

I filled the plate with pre-formed beef slices,which again was surprisingly spot-on this time,carrots,roast potatoes,cottage pie,pigs in blankets,peas,onions and gravy.

The vegetables were all cooked correctly this time,the carrots nicely crisp and not soggy and the roast potatoes were suitably crisp on the edges.Perfecto!

I repeated all the above and fought a brave battle to finish plate #2.

No room for dessert (ice cream was offered but sensibly declined).

I wobbled out a happy diner....full to the brim and well satisfied.

There were plenty of other choices available but you have to be selective. Broccoli, cauliflower,chicken...all for another day.

I was amazed the buffet was still running so late!

The cottage pie was still overly peppered but very edible.

So...very enjoyable this time and therefore recommended. Not fine dining but good nosebag if you are hungry.

And the price has risen.....now 320 baht. Drinks on top of course.

I got to thinking about leaving a tip.....if you serve yourself,do the waiting staff expect something when all they did was plonk a bottle of water on the table???

Water was 35 baht.

I'll be back!

• Upvote 1

Continuing with TRHT theme, I was in yesterday and ordered a pint of London Pride off the "noon till 5pm" menu and a foot long ham and cheese panini..

Here is a pic of what I was served..

Yep, after each order they very politely and very apologelicaly said "No Hab" and kindly offered the beef which is not what I wanted. So I ordered a house red from the very tempting looking pumps at the bar hoping for something like Wetherspoons draught wine in UK but was downhearted to see them getting out a box of MC from the fridge..Didn't drink it...paid and left..

Are you still hungry....?

• Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)