Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

Great reviews many thanks.

Seems Kilkenny is the current favourite........ any luck with the Service girl

No luck so far. She wasn't there on Australia Day.

Evil

:devil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

Great reviews many thanks.

Seems Kilkenny is the current favourite........

Yes, it is one of my favorites. For those of you who like big burgers and especially Australian-style burgers with beetroot, fried egg and grilled pineapple, Kilkenny's has added to its menu the Ozzie Works burger reviewed in post #199. Kilkenny does a good job with farang comfort food and its daily specials are great value for money. From Kilkenny's FB page:

Capture.JPG.2d260557f86505f894a6af1a54f9

Evil

• 1 month later...

Great report EP. But be careful out there, I recall an incident you had in the past.

Pattaya expat threatened with jail after posting negative restaurant review online.

Thai Visa.

Great report EP. But be careful out there, I recall an incident you had in the past.

Pattaya expat threatened with jail after posting negative restaurant review online.

Thai Visa.

WTF??? Fourteen pages and over 200 posts in the Thai Visa thread, but no one will name the restaurant!!! Why is everyone so scared? Is the restaurant owned by the Corleone family and managed by Luca Brasi?

No matter how strict the defamation laws are in Thailand, you can't be charged for writing something like "XYZ is the name of the restaurant that was reviewed."

I'm not a member of the Breakfast Club or any other Facebook food group, so I have no idea what this is really about. But if anyone knows the name of the restaurant, could you please PM me if you don't want to post it in this thread? I'd like to visit that restaurant and write my own review.

Evil

• Upvote 3

...At 11.00 p.m., I was the only customer- not a good sign- although one other person entered while I was there.

That was you Monday night? I had the spicy seafood pasta whilst unsuccessfully trying to sober up (with an Irish Coffee). I would have said 'Hi' if only I'd known it was you. :bhappy

Cheers!

That was you Monday night? I had the spicy seafood pasta whilst unsuccessfully trying to sober up (with an Irish Coffee). I would have said 'Hi' if only I'd known it was you. :bhappy

Cheers!

I actually thought you two guys had gone together when I read you had both been there same night!

Cheers!

No, that wasn't me. I was there Sunday night. The other customer who came in while I was there was a WS go go bar manager.

Evil

WTF??? Fourteen pages and over 200 posts in the Thai Visa thread, but no one will name the restaurant!!! Why is everyone so scared? Is the restaurant owned by the Corleone family and managed by Luca Brasi?

No matter how strict the defamation laws are in Thailand, you can't be charged for writing something like "XYZ is the name of the restaurant that was reviewed."

I'm not a member of the Breakfast Club or any other Facebook food group, so I have no idea what this is really about. But if anyone knows the name of the restaurant, could you please PM me if you don't want to post it in this thread? I'd like to visit that restaurant and write my own review.

Evil

I trawled through the entire thread on BCP looking for a hint to the establishment with no joy. Unfortunately the offending post (and resulting thread) has been deleted by the original poster. The admin of BCP said they would not have deleted the post and would have supported the poster in the event of legal action eventuating as it was far from the harshest review in the group. There is some speculation it was a manager rather than the owner who made the threat.

The upshot is that the restaurant manager or owner has learned that making a threat like that might not be the best business decision.

• Upvote 1

Wow-20110531.jpg Eighteen pages and over 260 posts in the thread on Thai Visa about the threatened defamation action but NO ONE dares to name the restaurant. If I ever do learn the name and pay the establishment a visit, I will definitely be on the lookout for Luca Brasi. The owner (or manager) must indeed inspire fear.

luca.gif

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Another update on White Pines. I had the pumpkin soup-

IMG_0096A.jpg.11bcabb710e74082f88adc1842

and everyone's former favorite, the calamari-

IMG_0099.jpg.60133aab56dfb3d84baa24a0459

Both were pretty good, but still not quite up to the former standard. I know pumpkin soup isn't a "big taste" item, but it seemed a bit too bland, just not enough pumpkin flavor. The garlic bread was excellent.

IMG_0100.jpg.425e716282a4d41e8cef1dc9a0d

In terms of portion size and preparation, the calamari was closer to the version we all loved. The garlic had been added as before. Maybe it's only psychological, but I just felt something was missing in terms of flavor. If the calamari before the staff change had been a 9 in my estimation, this was a 7.

I didn't see the male chef this time round, but two females were working in the kitchen. Service was quick and friendly, but again, only one other customer.

Bottom line: The jury is still out, but there are positive signs from White Pines.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Kilkenny on LK Metro has lasagna as a special for 199 baht several times a week. It's not exactly the lasagna an Italian grandmother would make, but it's tasty and the portion is huge. It comes with three small slices of garlic bread and a smattering of salad on the side.

IMG_0018.jpg

The Kilkenny version of lasagna is very heavy on the meat filling and cheese topping, but light on the pasta. It's sort of like an upside down cottage pie with pasta instead of mashed potatoes. The bechamel sauce that is used in some types of lasagna was most noticeable by its absence.

IMG_0021.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that. Many traditonal recipes have been adapted by restaurants to suit the preferences of their diners and that's almost certainly the case with Kilkenny's lasagna. But if your looking for a many-layered lasagna dressed with a lighter ragu-style sauce, that's not what Kilkenny's lasagna is about.

IMG_0014.jpg

Another special that Kilkenny frequently offers is liver and onions with bacon for 169 baht. I'm not a fan of liver and onions, so I won't be ordering it. According to a friend who does like it, it's done well at Kilkenny and again, the portion is large. This is a pic I lifted from Kilkenny's Facebook page:

IMG_0022.jpg

Bottom line: If you're a hearty eater who wants a lot of food on his plate, you can't go wrong at Kilkenny.

Evil

:devil:

I'm going to try this one:

Untitled-1.jpg.6ee5e10e94cf512f919d59ae3

Harry's is located on Soi Diana between Soi Bukhao and LK Metro.

EDIT IN: I did try the"99er" minute steak at Harry's and it was excellent, especially considering the price.

IMG_0118.jpg.62da7a8705edf40ecd097bc45d6

The word "minced" in the Facebook blurb is a bit of a mistranslation. It's a Swedish-style minute steak, pure and simple. There is nothing "minced" about it. In Swedish, it's called lövbiff.

Minute steak is a thin slice of top round (sometimes sirloin) that is then pounded to tenderize it. Swedish lövbiff tends to be thinner than a U.S. minute steak. The one I got at Harry's last night was about as thick as a 10-baht coin.

IMG_0120.jpg.8fdc1aeb749290d76a91abc6bb7

The crucial factor with minute steak is not to cook it too long. When it is as thin as at Harry's, it only needs a few seconds each side on a very hot griddle. More than that and it will be frazzled, tough and basically inedible. The minute steak at Harry's was done properly, even a bit pink on the inside. It was tender and had plenty of beef flavor. The skinny fries were also good and even the slices of tomato were tastier than a lot you get on your plate in Pattaya.

I was well-pleased with my meal and have no problem in recommending it. I'm sure I'll have it again several times before the summer is over. Was the portion big enough to satisfy a lumberjack who's just come back from eight hours of chopping trees? No, it wasn't. But for those of us who have sedentary lifestyles, it's sufficient. And if it isn't. the price is cheap enough to order a salad or other dish to fill up, maybe even the 99-baht hamburger.

A couple more photos with the knife and fork on the plate so you get a better idea of the portion size.

IMG_0122.jpg.39f34de5474eba8044e11d8645d

IMG_0121.jpg.a514781be4a2ddc53ad8573e4f2

Bottom line: Go for it!

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

Another update on White Pines.

IMG_0092.jpg.c10a87bbc173cd82a6cf9d5a574

The other night I had the Crispy Chicken Burger at 220 baht. I never tried it in the "good ol' days" at White Pines, so I can't make a direct comparison. I can say that the burger I got was indeed good. i'm not a fan of "busy" burgers of any sort that have unnecessary toppings, but it wasn't much of a hassle to pull off two onion rings.

IMG_0093.jpg.0bc2d5618d53a23b5bc62f79df9

The fried chicken breast was substantial and cooked well- lightly breaded and crispy on the outside, moist on the inside. It was topped with a modest amount of cheese and underneath was the customary lettuce and tomato slices. The bun was nicely toasted. The French fries were also good. The onion rings needed a few seconds longer in the fryer, but since I don't like onion rings much, that didn't matter to me.

I began to wish the chicken breast had been served on a plate with mashed potatoes, gravy and peas. That would have been an excellent meal!

IMG_0094.jpg.11afb118a73aadeec82049f4154

Bottom line: White Pines continues to recover. From what I've observed in the restaurant itself and read online, more of its old customers are giving it a second chance.

Evil

• Upvote 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Last night I tried the 99-baht hamburger at Harry's, the second of the restaurant's summer specials.

IMG_0260.jpg

It was a tasty burger. Considering the price and that it came with plenty of crispy skinny fries, it was excellent value for money.

IMG_0262.jpg

It had a bit too much dressing for my taste, but that's a matter of personal preference.

IMG_0268.jpg

If you have a big appetite, the portion may not be large enough. I saw one guy scarf the burger and fries quickly, then order the other 99-baht summer special (the minute steak in post #217), which he ate at a more leisurely pace. That's a fair amount of food for 198 baht.

Bottom line: Harry's two summer specials (hamburger or minute steak) at 99 baht each are good options if you want something cheap and quick in the LK Metro area.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

Thanks for the report Evil. Both the burger and minute steak look good especially at that price. I agree looks like a bit too much dressing on the burger but then again that is easily solved, will be stopping by soon.

Edited by cbrib

Thanks for the report Evil. Both the burger and minute steak look especially at that price. I agree looks like a bit too much dressing on the burger but then again that is easily solved, will be stopping by soon.

Ditto.

Really appreciate these reviews as would never try some of these places otherwise. Thank you EP.

• 2 weeks later...

I very seldom eat a full farang breakfast in Pattaya as I never seem to be hungry in the morning. A cup of yogurt, some fresh fruit or a small bowl of rice soup does me fine until noon. But on rare occasions, I am hungry early on and will have a bacon-and-egg breakfast. A few days ago I felt very hungry at 9.30 a.m. and decided to try the breakfast at Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee.

IMG_0072.jpg

I had the "Standard Breakfast" for 95 baht. The quality of the ingredients was good and the portion was enough for me.

IMG_0070.jpg

I got two eggs cooked sunny-side-up at my request; a link of pork sausage; two extra-wide rashers of streaky bacon; two pieces of toast with butter; and a cup of coffee.

Untitled-2.jpg

You have a choice of back or streaky bacon. The rashers looked as if they might have been sliced in-house from a slab of bacon.

IMG_0054.jpg

The coffee was good and tea was available. I also had a small glass of fresh orange juice for 50 baht, so 145 baht all-in. I was happy with the Standard Breakfast, but Smokin' Joe's had many more options. I'll be back sometime to try the buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup; the Eggs Benedict and the Breakfast Burrito, but probably as lunch rather than breakfast. From Smokin' Joe's Facebook page:

breakfast.jpg

I'm not much concerned with a restaurant's ambiance in Pattaya. I do want it to be clean, well-lit, air-conditioned. smoke-free and without loud music. SJ's ticked all those boxes. It also offers free Wi-Fi. If you like to spend some time over breakfast reading a newspaper or catching up on the Internet, SJ's is a comfortable place for a leisurely morning meal.

IMG_0057.jpg

Bottom line: If you're looking for a small breakfast with good quality, Smokin' Joe's Standard Breakfast is an excellent option. If you want a much bigger breakfast for just a few baht more, then you're better off continuing on Soi Lengkee to Retox.

Smokin' Joe's is best known for its U.S.-style BQQ and Tex-Mex dishes. Some of the daily specials:

Untitled-1.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4
  • Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)