Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 253 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

You seem to be contradicting yourself. First you write: "Western meal: under 300 you get garbage..." That's an unequivocal statement. But then you follow it up with:

if you see my restaurant reports, mostly under 300 baht and usually good quality, great foods...

Why would you say a Western meal under 300 baht is "garbage" but you usually get "good quality, great foods" under 300 baht? It doesn't make sense.

You also wrote:

I meant : meal, not food or plate... I meant a few courses and a drink... Burgers , pizzas, fish and chips, poorly served spaghettis, minced meats on the mash, english brekkies etc. are great foods,plates but not meals....

But earlier you had written:

I go to a restaurant to eat, not to mental wank...to fill my belly with quality food.... not with the side garbage...In thailand the desserts are simply crap.... a Cornetto is the best choice... or the best one a Swensen's ice cream cup...

In that quote, you appear to be saying you want all the food at a meal on one plate as one course. You seem to be rejecting the idea of a multi-course meal ("the side garbage"). Again, you have contradicted yourself with your post on April 16.

Two other observations:

1) In English, the word "meal" refers to the food eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner (supper, tea, etc.). A meal does not have to include two or more courses, nor does there have to be a lot of food on the plate. You can have your own personal definition of "meal," but then you need to make that clear. Thousands of Western short-term visitors and permanent residents in Pattaya eat a lot of meals in restaurants and many, many times those meals won't consist of multiple courses. Nevertheless, they have had meals in restaurants that weren't garbage and very often cost less than 300 baht.

2) Your objections to the Western food served in Pattaya most often center on portion size, not the quality or taste of the food. Why do you then call the food "garbage," which would only apply to very bad, inedible food?

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

2) Your objections to the Western food served in Pattaya most often center on portion size, not the quality or taste of the food. Why do you then call the food "garbage," which would only apply to very bad, inedible food?

Evil

Yep... if I'm still hungry following the so called quality meal... no matter of the quality, I'm still cheated... BTW... I look for quality meal to fill my stomach for reasonable prices... And I'm a small guy with no wolf appetite... the " giga beef pie " I had in the Fraser's ( see my report ) made me totally full was only an appetizer for my english mate.... he isn't a big guy either.... If I say it was a small portion, you can believe me... it was...

Yep... if I'm still hungry following the so called quality meal... no matter of the quality, I'm still cheated... BTW... I look for quality meal to fill my stomach for reasonable prices... And I'm a small guy with no wolf appetite... the " giga beef pie " I had in the Fraser's ( see my report ) made me totally full was only an appetizer for my english mate.... he isn't a big guy either.... If I say it was a small portion, you can believe me... it was...

Your response explains why you want a larger portion than you sometimes get, but it doesn't answer the question I asked: Why do you then call the food "garbage," which would only apply to very bad, inedible food?

It would also be good if you answered the other question I asked: Why would you say a Western meal under 300 baht is "garbage" but you usually get "good quality, great foods" under 300 baht?

Evil

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Your response explains why you want a larger portion than you sometimes get, but it doesn't answer the question I asked: Why do you then call the food "garbage," which would only apply to very bad, inedible food?

It would also be good if you answered the other question I asked: Why would you say a Western meal under 300 baht is "garbage" but you usually get "good quality, great foods" under 300 baht?

Evil

Food vs meal... Food is a plate, meal is a complex experience.... let see the " Deli " at the TuckCom... meal, but... looks poor, simple food, small portions...no any special I would pay the farang tax... And anyway... you are right... I was too sharp.... but if you see the restaurants offers something special, worth the farang tax... hardly under 300 baht...

• Downvote 2

Ok, I'll play along....so another criteria:

Western Food

Good

AND a "Full-Filling Meal" :).

I just happen to be in the new Harbor Mall on Klang (taking a break from Songkran water play :) and saw they also have an "All Seasons Steak Buffet." A few times, I've eaten at the one at The Avenue (closed a few months ago) and Central Festival Mall, but have a few friends who visit weekly as they want the protein. For me, it meets 3 of the 4 criterion and the "Good" is subjective, but Good is not "Great" so i guess it qualifies :).

FullSizeRender (11).jpgFullSizeRender (8).jpg

https://www.facebook.com/allseasonssteakbuffet/?fref=nf

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 1

Dropped in at New York Pizza House today for the first time.

I ordered the house pizza, the eponymous New York Pizza. You get your choice of sizes and crusts and I ordered small, thin crust.

Despite ordering the smallest size I couldn't finish it. The 'za comes with grated cheese and hot sauce you can pour on yourself.

The pizza plus bottled water came to 235 baht. I added a 40 baht tip and still got change back from 300 baht. What's not to like?

By the way, in addition to the excellent Bite Me across the street there is a French restaurant next door called Aux Agapes. The interior looks nice though I didn't see a menu. Something else to check out!

Sorry, no photos as I'm the last white man in Pattaya who doesn't have a smartphone.

Ok, I'll play along....so another criteria:

Western Food

Good

AND a "Full-Filling Meal" :).

I just happen to be in the new Harbor Mall on Klang (taking a break from Songkran water play :) and saw they also have an "All Seasons Steak Buffet." A few times, I've eaten at the one at The Avenue (closed a few months ago) and Central Festival Mall, but have a few friends who visit weekly as they want the protein. For me, it meets 3 of the 4 criterion and the "Good" is subjective, but Good is not "Great" so i guess it qualifies :).

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender (11).jpgattachicon.gifFullSizeRender (8).jpg

https://www.facebook.com/allseasonssteakbuffet/?fref=nf

I tried a few times... the beef steaks are unedible shoe soles, left all on the plate, the pork steaks almost the same... the chicken steak is fine, but chicken and steak together to mention ??? I went there because my beloved russian borsch on the menu, but it was a disappointment, it was cold and poor.... On the other sides, the thai foods were Ok...

1.jpg

Santa Fe Steak is a Thai restaurant chain with branches all over the country. Despite its name, beef plays a rather subordinate role on its menu. Santa Fe Pork or Santa Fe Chop would be more accurate. In addition to beef and pork, it offers chicken, fish and pasta, all at very moderate prices. It's certainly possible to tuck away a fair amount of food at Santa Fe for 300 baht or less, as the mains, including the specials, come with complimentary soup and salad. Some of the specials also include a beverage, so the customer is getting a three-course meal and (non-alcoholic) drink for under 300 baht or even 200 baht.

2.jpg

I had lunch at Santa Fe Steak on the 6th floor of Central Festival on April 19, the big day for Songkran festivities on Beach Road. I broke up my photo excursion into the climactic hours of water-tossing madness by ducking into "Centan" around 1 pm to wash the white paste off my face; get some relief from the heat and sun; and have a bite to eat. Thanks to my quick-dry clothing and the effect of standing a few minutes in the intense sunlight, I was mostly dry at that point. You can see the pics of my whole April 19th outing here (post #317).

4.jpg

I decided to eat at Santa Fe Steak mainly because I'd never been there before. It was a relatively small restaurant that was about half-full. It was very clean and tidy. I was the only farang diner. I assumed the name "Santa Fe" was used due to the Santa Fe Railway's association with the beef industry of the 1800's. The railroad's full name, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, wouldn't have been as catchy.

5.jpg

I chose the "imported ribeye steak" at 239 baht. I chose to drink a bottle of Heineken, but if I'd had ice tea at 24 baht, I'd have come well under 300 baht.

6.jpg

It came with small portions of French fries and tater tots and a few lettuce leaves on the plate as well as ...

7.jpg

sides of salad and (corn) soup. They weren't bad, just meaningless. The gravy or brown sauce looked so horribly gelatinous I didn't even taste it.

I had ordered the steak medium rare and that's how it came.

8.jpg

The steak was tender, but not very flavorful for rib eye. I can imagine it was imported U.S. beef, although of the "Select" or "Choice -" grade. It's roughly the same grad of meat used in some U.S. chains. Nothing wrong with that.

10.jpg

9.jpg

I had no trouble finishing the steak. The rest of the meal was a bit of a disappointment, but for the price, there's no reason to complain.

11.jpg

This isn't a full review of Santa Fe Steak as I've only had one meal there. I've read and heard there's better value for money to be had by taking one of the pork, fish or pasta specials.

There's no problem in eating under 300 baht at Santa Fe Steak. The "good" rating is a bit more difficult. If we only have two categories, good and bad, there's no question it would be good because it's not bad. But if we get more sophisticated and imagine three ratings - good, acceptable and bad - then the weakness of the sides would pull it down to the acceptable category.

12.JPG

A little trivia. You have to love how Google translates one of the sentences from Santa Fe Steak's Web site: "Elephant soft aroma were still taste the steak like no other." That's a blurb I couldn't resist.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

Dropped in at New York Pizza House today for the first time.

I ordered the house pizza, the eponymous New York Pizza. You get your choice of sizes and crusts and I ordered small, thin crust.

Despite ordering the smallest size I couldn't finish it. The 'za comes with grated cheese and hot sauce you can pour on yourself.

The pizza plus bottled water came to 235 baht. I added a 40 baht tip and still got change back from 300 baht. What's not to like?

By the way, in addition to the excellent Bite Me across the street there is a French restaurant next door called Aux Agapes. The interior looks nice though I didn't see a menu. Something else to check out!

Sorry, no photos as I'm the last white man in Pattaya who doesn't have a smartphone.

Occasionally, I have pizza delivered from New York Pizza so i think they have my order with specific nuances linked to our phone#. I like the Hawaiian with thin crust and extra sauce, but the Hawaiian Pizza at The Camel in Ban Chang was definitely better. Yes, it also takes me two attempts to finish the small. I guess getting older has also affected our appetites :).

Well, in regards to the 'smartphone,' there are a couple of you guys in that 'cheap charlie group' that don't have smartphones even when offered one for FREE, so it appears to be a lifestyle choice :).

I tried a few times... the beef steaks are unedible shoe soles, left all on the plate, the pork steaks almost the same... the chicken steak is fine, but chicken and steak together to mention ??? I went there because my beloved russian borsch on the menu, but it was a disappointment, it was cold and poor.... On the other sides, the thai foods were Ok...

Yes, I agree. My friends who love it go for the unlimited cheap protein (weightlifters) and i occasionally join them just for the social, but sometimes i don't eat. It's 'good' for them, but not for us.

Edited by losgrad

Wrong, I know some who do not even have a mobile phone.....

They have a club and meet in restaurants, so far never more than one has managed to make it at the same time or day.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Wrong, I know some who do not even have a mobile phone.....

They have a club and meet in restaurants, so far never more than one has managed to make it at the same time or day.

Glad to hear I'm not the only Luddite in town :D

Glad to hear I'm not the only Luddite in town :D

You are part of a unique group. The few, the proud, the Luddite's.

Hey Evil, Thank you for the fine grub info........

Hey Evil, What's better

Food or Sex ?

"I'm livin for givin the Devil his due"

Hey Evil, What's better

Food or Sex ?

Is that a trick question? :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I remember the answer from junior high- It depends on which dish you're eating. (alt answers- which dish you're offered, which dish you can afford.)

And then there's the famous analogy usually attributed to Mel Brooks, "Sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good." But I'm not sure that applies to either sex or pizza in Pattaya.

Evil

Is that a trick question? :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I remember the answer from junior high- It depends on which dish you're eating. (alt answers- which dish you're offered, which dish you can afford.)

And then there's the famous analogy usually attributed to Mel Brooks, "Sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good." But I'm not sure that applies to either sex or pizza in Pattaya.

Evil

Bro......................Depends on who's cooking................

OBLA DEE BRO

post-6485-0-36674300-1461698351.jpg

I tried the Tuesday special special at Nicky's near the intersection of Soi Bukhao and Soi 15. The facade of the building had been redone. The 175-baht special was chicken casserole, which resembles a stew but has been cooked slowly in the oven rather than on top of the stove.

post-6485-0-03173300-1461698336.jpg

The casserole was advertised as coming with a crusty rolls, but I guess they had run out of rolls by the time I ordered my meal at 9.30 pm and I got two slices of buttered bread. It was excellent bread, fresh and with a home-baked taste.

post-6485-0-10452600-1461698340.jpg

The portion was very large, more than enough for me.

post-6485-0-34774300-1461698344.jpg

The casserole consisted of chunks and pieces of chicken, potato, carrots and celery in a delicious thick sauce.

post-6485-0-06763800-1461698348.jpg

Nicky's offers a different special every day Monday through Saturday at 175 baht as well as a week-long two-course special at 300 baht.

post-6485-0-62593400-1461698331.jpg

Bottom line: The chicken casserole was a very filling meal for 175 baht and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Evil

devil.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

I wanted to try the relocated Sizzler on the Beach Road side of Royal Garden Plaza. Our initial plan had been to eat lunch there and take advantage of the pre-4 pm specials for less than 300 baht, but we were delayed until 5.30 pm, so we had to order from the regular menu.

It's a very spacious restaurant that had only a few customers at that hour.

post-6485-0-41254800-1461785132.jpg

The signature salad bar was still in good shape, with the 60-some bowls, trays and containers all full and fresh.

post-6485-0-49623700-1461785145.jpg

post-6485-0-74067100-1461785149.jpg

post-6485-0-68173200-1461785136.jpg

post-6485-0-02543100-1461785141.jpg

I decided to see if I could remain under 300 baht for a main course - and I could, at 299 baht. There were even a couple of main dishes around 250 baht, but they were all chicken. Forget beef, pork, fish or seafood if you want to spend less than 300 baht.

But first, we took a turn at the salad bar. My Source Coyote's choices:

post-6485-0-27821000-1461786014.jpg

And a bowl of very tasty hot and sour soup.

post-6485-0-07407100-1461785126.jpg

My plate of salad (cole slaw; minted carrots and almond; pumpkin and cashews; Asian potato salad) and the Sizzler toast that comes with some mains. It was all very good.

post-6485-0-56338300-1461786017.jpg

I ordered the hibachi chicken with pineapple and rice for 299 baht.

post-6485-0-20391400-1461785977.jpg

It was a rather small portion in and of itself, but considering unlimited helpings at the salad bar, which features soup, pasta, fruit and desserts as well as "make-it-yourself" salad ingredients and prepared salads, you won't leave Sizzler hungry.

post-6485-0-65424500-1461786020.jpg

In any case, we ordered two more mains and split them, so it was indeed a filling and varied meal.

We had the New York steak:

post-6485-0-00273600-1461785158.jpg

post-6485-0-87639200-1461785161.jpg

and the sizzling shrimp, both of which were delicious.

post-6485-0-99468400-1461785153.jpg

post-6485-0-48237700-1461785991.jpg

post-6485-0-33940200-1461785988.jpg

Bottom line: We had an excellent meal at Sizzler, but if you want to stay under 300 baht, get there before 4 pm unless you're fond of chicken.

Evil

devil.gif

• Upvote 4

I wanted to try the relocated Sizzler on the Beach Road side of Royal Garden Plaza. Our initial plan had been to eat lunch there and take advantage of the pre-4 pm specials for less than 300 baht, but we were delayed until 5.30 pm, so we had to order from the regular menu.

It's a very spacious restaurant that had only a few customers at that hour.

Bottom line: We had an excellent meal at Sizzler, but if you want to stay under 300 baht, get there before 4 pm unless you're fond of chicken.

Evil

devil.gif

I usually don't schedule my eating to specials, but apparently on Wednesday's the dinner menu is significantly discounted as there was an unexpected queue for seating. The normal 399 baht combo meals were 289 baht. However, by 9 pm most patrons had finished and many tables were open.

Enjoy your veggies....

P.S. This new location on the beach side of the 1st Floor has attracted many more customers than their prior location on the back of the 3rd Floor.

For those living in or around Jomtien i found a nice little spot. i opted for the 99 baht Spaghetti Carbonara. Decent portion with two small slices of garlic bread. The Carbonara was actually very tasty with nice chunks of ham and bacon, on par with what you would pay upwards of 200 baht elsewhere. Garlic bread was also very nice.

20160429_172527_resize.jpg

The place is called Concordia and is a small little restaurant guest house. It is located on soi Winchester/soi Wat Boon about 500 meters up from Jomtien 2nd rd. Here are signs to watch for.

20160429_174237_resize.jpg

20160429_174255_resize.jpg

20160429_174344_resize.jpg

Their Thai food is also very good, i have tried both the garlic pepper pork and the penang moo, sorry i didn't get any snaps of them before but i will be back to this place for sure

I had a very good cheeseburger at the Rock House on LK Metro Friday evening:

post-276-0-69958600-1462093885.jpg

It was a bargain at 185 baht, with a good-sized patty of beef, plenty of cheese and a fresh bun.

post-276-0-03320500-1462093866.jpg

post-276-0-62830300-1462093958.jpg

The tomato, raw onion and lettuce complemented the burger but didn't overwhelm it.

post-276-0-12446700-1462093970.jpg

The steak fries (chips) were also good; crispy on the outside, fluffy inside and not at all soggy, which is the downfall of a lot of thick-cut fries.

post-276-0-43680000-1462093962.jpg

Bottom line: The RH cheeseburger was better than you get in many Pattaya restaurants. It was made from quality ingredients and balanced in terms of the flavors contributed by its components. I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

IMG_0180.jpg

Malee 3 offers European and Thai food at very low prices, among the lowest in Pattaya for a sit-down restaurant. It's in a subsoi off Soi Bukhao, but I'll give more info on its location at the end of this post.

IMG_0181.jpg

The exterior sign says Malee features Russian and Uzbek cuisine in addition to European and Thai, but I didn't see much evidence of Russian or Uzbek dishes on the menu. There were, however, several Dutch specialities listed, mostly snacks.

IMG_0175.jpg

Although it's not a fancy restaurant, but it's clean and comfortable. Because it's open-front, it can get quite warm, even when sitting next to a fan, when Pattaya is undergoing a hot spell like now.

IMG_0178.jpg

The big attraction of Malee is its price range. There are a lot of dishes under 200 baht and quite a few around 100 baht, with its burgers going for 45 to 60 baht and breakfast for 65 baht.

IMG_0161.jpg

I had the roast lamb dinner at 159 baht and it tasted surprisingly good for the price. It consisted of one thick piece of lamb which most restaurants would have sliced into three thin pieces; roast potatoes; gravy; and mixed vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, carrots and snap peas.

IMG_0164.jpg

It wasn't a large portion, particularly regarding the lamb, but it was adequate for me.

IMG_0166.jpg

The lamb was tasty and moist, but not the most tender I've had. It certainly wasn't tough or overly chewy, just not as tender as most lamb. There was some fat on the meat, but not too much.

IMG_0167.jpg

I would have preferred for the gravy to have been served on the side- I forgot to ask- and not poured all over the plate. But the gravy was good and had been been made from the drippings from the lamb.

[IMG_0168.jpg

The vegetables seemed to be fresh and not frozen. They hadn't been overcooked and retained a lot of flavor.

IMG_0169.jpg

The roast potatoes were also good, crispy on the outside, fluffy inside.

IMG_0170.jpg

In addition to the 65-baht special, the breakfast portion of the menu offered a lot of choices, including pancakes.

Untitled-1a.jpg

Malee is located down a subsoi off Soi Bukhao between Soi Diana and Soi 15. The subsoi is directly opposite Pattaya City Hospital with a motorcycle shop on the southwest corner.

IMG_0182.jpg

Bottom line: It's not fine dining, but I'll certainly be back to sample more of Malee's budget fare. I particularly want to try Toad in the Hole for 99 baht.

Evil

• Upvote 3

Evil

devil.gif

Cool so they have SIzzler there now thanks for the info Evil. Yep their salad bar usually is good and was the steak tender"ish"?

Edited by Kev
  • Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)