Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

Cool so they have SIzzler there now thanks for the info Evil. Yep their salad bar usually is good and was the steak tender"ish"?

Yup, it was tender. Sizzler uses imported beef for its steaks.

Evil

:devil

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

MM has started a thread here on PattayaMeals.com, a meal preparation and home delivery service. All but one of its 30 meals are under 200 baht and there's no delivery charge or tipping. It seems to be an excellent option for those who live in central Pattaya or Jomtien. Check out MM's thread.

Evil

And now for those of you who are hearty eaters: Nicky's on Soi Bukhao has really big portions for 250 baht. I ate there with two friends last night. I had the 1/2 roast chicken with stuffing, roast potatoes and garden peas.

post-6485-0-39608100-1463969815.jpg

That's a substantial portion of chicken, backed up by big helpings of potatoes and peas. It was roasted properly, with the meat very moist. Best chicken I've had for awhile in Pattaya.

post-6485-0-28612300-1463969819.jpg

A bit stingy on the stuffing, though, but that's a minor point. I would have preferred more stuffing and less potatoes.

post-6485-0-97250400-1463969834.jpg

One friend had the pork chops, mashed potatoes and garden peas. Again, very generous portions for 250 baht.

post-6485-0-89160200-1463969811.jpg

post-6485-0-58684400-1463969827.jpg

I'm not sure about the price of the fish 'n chips, but I believe it was around 200 baht.

post-6485-0-19493300-1463969822.jpg

post-6485-0-03233400-1463969831.jpg

You can see the size of roast chicken in the photo below. The fish 'n chips came with two large slices of freshly baked bread.

post-6485-0-06605500-1463969839.jpg

If you're really hungry and don't favor a buffet, Nicky's is a good option under 300 baht. All three of us were pleased with the meals we had.

Evil

• Upvote 4

Thanks for another great detailed report! As far as Tequila Reef i don't like their style of Mexican food but have always enjoyed the ribs and skirt steak. Excellent margaritas

Thanks for another great detailed report! As far as Tequila Reef i don't like their style of Mexican food but have always enjoyed the ribs and skirt steak. Excellent margaritas

Yup, TR's margaritas are among the best in Pattaya. The cocktail bar outside the Areca also makes fine margaritas, as does the Horizon bar atop the Hilton.

Evil

Steak & Co is running some specials that will put you under 300 baht on three days of the week. The early bird hours are noon to 5 pm. I;ve had the ribs at S & C and they are excellent. From S & C's Facebook page:

Capture.JPG

This is another opportunity to enjoy high-end food at a low price.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

This update is in two separate parts. First part:

attachicon.gifIMGP45188.jpg

Tequila Reef on Soi 7 has garnered mixed reviews through the years on the Pattaya boards. Some people love it, others loathe it. I don't know if it is luck or the hand of Buddha, but I've never had a bad meal there. I don't know what accounts for others' bad experiences. Maybe it's the inconsistency that haunts many Pattaya restaurant? There have also been some rather bitter discussions about the "authenticity" of the food at Tequila Reef. That's a muddled concept at best; for me, it's how the food tastes, rather than authenticity, that is important.

attachicon.gifIMG_7801.jpg

In any case, Tequila Reef does have plenty of options on its menu under 300 baht; the daily specials, for example, although some are over 300 baht.

Mexican Monday
2 Item Mexican Combo Plate 235 Baht
I ordered the beef taco and cheese enchilada with Mexican rice on the side. A burrito was an option.
Taco Tuesday
Your Choice of Beef, Chicken or Pork Taco 60 Baht
Ribs Wednesday
Our Famous St. Louis Style Pork Ribs (Half Rack) 305 Baht
Burrito Thursday
East LA or Texas Crash and Burn Burrito 235 Baht
Fajitas Friday
Our House Specialty of Sizzling Fajitas 325 Baht
Salmon Saturday
Salmon Filet Dinner 375 Baht

And there's a lot on the regular menu under 300 baht:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

attachicon.gifCapturea.JPG

Second part:

Some more options from the Pattaya Meals delivery service:

#1 Twelve Chicken Wings (Barbecue) with blue cheese dip at 170 baht ;

#3 Cheese Burger Platter with bacon, fried egg and potato wedges at 245 baht (Cheeseburger's basic price is 195 baht, plus 30 baht for bacon and 20 baht for egg). It's built on a thick patty of importedAustraliam Black Angus beef.

#7 Cashew Chicken at 145 baht;

#20 Eggplant Parmigiana with spaghetti at 165 baht;

The order was placed at about 5.00 p.m. and arrived at 5.30 p.m. Every thing was warm, properly cooked and very tasty. For me at least, it's an attractive alternative to going out in the heat and humidity.

Evil

devil.gif

Are the beans the re-fried style?

Are the beans the re-fried style?

Yes, they are. But remember that "refried" is a mistranslation of the Spanish word refrito, which ,means "well-fried" rather than "fried again."

Evil

Yes, they are. But remember that "refried" is a mistranslation of the Spanish word refrito, which ,means "well-fried" rather than "fried again."

Evil

It's what the dish is called though. I go over to Detroit to Mexican Village and all the restaurants have refried on the menu. https://www.google.ca/#q=refried+beans

Here's more of your defintion from Wiki

The name is a direct calque of Spanish frijoles refritos, refritos meaning "well-fried", and not "fried again" as might be assumed from the use of re- in English. The prefix re- could be used as an intensifier in Latin, as evident in e.g. resplendent, a meaning that has been inherited by Spanish alongside the more common meaning indicating repetition.

In this dish, after being boiled and then mashed into a paste, the beans are sometimes then fried or baked, though usually neither, thus making the term "refried" even more misleading.[1]

Edited by Chester007
  • 1 month later...

The arcade which runs parallel to Soi Diana and diagonally across from Mike's Mall on 2nd Road includes some notable Pattaya restaurants: Kiss Foods, Beefeater, Patrick's, My Way and Little India.

1.jpg

This week I decided to try a relative newcomer to the arcade, Calles Grill & Bar. It's not brand new as it opened in October last year, but I had never had occasion to try it before. It occupies the premises of the defunct Big Horn Steakhouse. Basically it's a grill restaurant specializing in steaks and Swedish meat dishes, but with some international favorites on the menu as well.

2.jpg

It's bright and cheerful inside; not fancy but comfortable and welcoming.

3.jpg

3A.jpg

4.jpg

If you get a window seat, you can keep an eye on the goings-on at Papagayo coyote club across the walkway.

4A.jpg

The menu serves as the placemat (or vice versa, I guess). It's a moderately priced (but not cheap) restaurant with a number of dishes under 300 baht.

4D.jpg

The first dish I ordered was listed on the menu as "Butt Naked Cordon Bleu," or an unbreaded escalope of pork loin stuffed with ham and cheese and thick-cut "steakhouse fries" and gorgonzola sauce on the side. However, what I got was an "ordinary," fully breaded cordon bleu, It looked pretty good and I was in a bit of a hurry, so I decided not to complain.

5.jpg

It was indeed a good cordon bleu, properly cooked with plenty of flavor. The only thing I thought a bit odd was the gorgonzola sauce along with it. Absolutely nothing wrong with the sauce, but it tended to overwhelm the cheese that stuffed the schnitzel. I used the sauce on the steak fries instead,

5a.jpg

It cost 295 baht and a SML was 100 baht. Despite the order mix up, I was happy with the meal.

6.jpg

Yesterday I tried the daily special at 299 baht (pic from Calles' Facebook page).

6A.jpg

This time, what I got corresponded to the description: two pieces of pork filet served Scandinavian plank-style with mashed potatoes, mushroom sauce and a grilled tomato.

7A.jpg

Again, the pork was properly seasoned and cooked, were the mashed potatoes. The sauce had a real mushroom flavor.

7B.jpg

7C.jpg

8A.jpg

It came with carrots and snap peas which were hidden by the meat.

10A.jpg

11.jpg

Bottom line: I really liked the pork plank steak and thought it good value for money at 299 baht. I enjoy Swedish food and will be back to try a few more dishes.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just to chime in on Tequila Reef:

Usually, it's good, at least the food I've tried there. I mostly eat one of the burrito varieties. They must have a substitute cook from time to time, because the taste can vary. A others have said, the margaritas are good. Get a window seat and, depending on the time of day, you can watch all the girls on Soi 7 arriving for work. Occasionally, there's a cutie to be found.

I know this doesn't sync ...but I wanted to mention 'Tesco's Finest' without starting a thread.

Tesco's Teprasit now have a wall on the left-hand side as you enter just past the fish.......filled with great treats...and comparatively cheap. Their finest brand has some good stuff. Tea 100 bags for 89 baht.....Truffles.........Ground coffees......Bitter marmalade........Various Honeys..........A freezer with garden peas.....Cheesecakes.......etc

I bought a couple of bottles of passion-fruit coulis......Which I drool over fresh yogurt......De'lish!!

Brits and others check it out

PS don't but the Kettle Crisps........They are fucking great..You'll pile it on!!

Edited by atlas2
  • 3 weeks later...

sailor.jpg

The Sailor Restaurant offers some of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, Western food of any sit-down restaurant in Pattaya. However, it is very much a case of you get what you pay for. Of the four meals I've had there, one has been inedible (food was rancid) and two were merely bad, but the most recent (last week) was acceptable if not good.

No question whatsoever that Sailor qualifies as under 300 baht ... I believe every dish on its menu is less than 200 baht. But whether the food is good, well, that much more problematic. However, no discussion of cheap eats in Pattaya would be complete without at least a mention of the Sailor.

After an absence of two years due to the three awful meals, I decided to make a return visit as I heard from friends the food had improved. Once again, I tried the pork schnitzel with potato salad. The last time I ordered it, the potato salad was rancid and the schnitzel had been pounded so thin and fried so hard it couldn't be chewed.

IMG_5233.jpg

This time the schnitzel was much better. It was a small square of breaded pork that wasn't paper-thin and had been properly cooked. It tasted OK, if nothing special.

IMG_5236.jpg

At 100 baht for the schnitzel and 40 baht for Coke Zero, you can't fault the price.

IMG_5239.jpg

The potato salad, also a small portion, was basically chunks of boiled potatoes dressed with mayonaise and sprinkled with chopped chives. There was no mustard or any other seasoning in the dressing. It was the kind of potato salad served in elementary school cafeterias in the US.

IMG_5238.jpg

It was a bit off-putting to find a piece of macaroni in the potato salad. The most benign explanation would be that the same spoon had been used to plate the potato salad as had been used to dish up another customer's macaroni salad.

IMG_5242.jpg

The Sailor isn't air-conditioned and the dining area was extremely hot, even though I was sitting under a bank of ceiling fans. For that reason alone, I won't be going back any time soon. I wouldn't endure that sort of discomfort while dining even if the food was much better.

For several decades the Sailor has been noted for its service with a snarl as much as its cheap if dodgy food. The surly waitresses were among the most unfriendly I've encountered anywhere in the world. I'm happy to say that appears to have improved a bit. A waitress actually smiled at me last week and didn't use a rude tone of voice. Remarkable!

The only reason I can think of for anyone to eat at the Sailor is a very tight budget. The food isn't good, nor is it a pleasant place to have a meal. If you're willing to spend just a little more money, better is available all over Pattaya.

Evil

Punch and Judy has a very good special on Wednesdays:

Punch-Burger-Pic-640x360.jpg

In fact, P&J has decent specials every day . Tomorrow, for example:

Punch_Judy-DealBanner-1000x555-04.jpg

And the rest of the week:

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

P&J's Sunday roast has long been popular among Pattaya expats. I've had mixed results at P&J's on Sundays- mostly excellent but occassionally disappointing. Definitely the best idea is to get there as close as possible to noon (start time for service of the Sunday roast dinners).

Some memorable Sunday meals at P&J over the years in the pics below. Portions are very large and the price reasonable.

post-9139-0-23883600-1414957182.jpg

post-9139-0-32041500-1367874264.jpg

post-9139-0-41117800-1367874272.jpg

post-9139-0-89990600-1367874269.jpg

P&J is a very pleasant place to have a meal or a drink. It's airy, spacious, clean and the seats are comfortable. Service is friendly and the kitchen is accommodating to special requests about the food.

post-9139-0-29436900-1414957170.jpg

The only downside is the location for those who lack their own wheels. P&J i not on the baht bus route and you will have to take a moto or be prepared for a 20-minute walk from the nearest points reachable by BB.

Capture.JPG

Evil

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

post-6485-0-92807500-1469803257.jpg

This is a restaurant that will warm the cockles of every thrifty diner's heart. You can get a decent, albeit small, portion of steak, French fries and salad for 119 baht. Or pork steak with the same accompaniments for baht.

post-6485-0-48362300-1469803243.jpg

It's called in English Steak 9 Rai Sai 3 and is located on the east side of 3rd Road about halfway between Soi Lengkee and Pattaya Klang. More on how to find it at the end of this post. It's a small open-air restaurant that is easy to miss.

post-6485-0-07364000-1469803226.jpg

Let's be realistic. For 119 baht, you aren't going to get the best steak in Pattaya. Also, the steak I got was overcooked, even though I had asked for it rare in both Thai and English.

post-6485-0-08414600-1469803231.jpg

The frozen crinkle fries had been cooked properly, but there weren't many of them. The salad was fresh- I just wish it hadn't been drowned in Thousand Island dressing out of a bottle.

post-6485-0-46340200-1469803234.jpg

It was definitely Thai beef, but it wasn't tough. If it hadn't been overcooked, I would have been very happy with it.

[post-6485-0-50877200-1469803238.jpg

When I arrived at 7.00 p.m. one night last week., the place was almost full. I got the last table. The inexpensive food seemed popular with both Thais and farang. And everything on the menu is very cheap and real value for money.

post-6485-0-64391100-1469803351.jpg

For those with big appetites, you can order extra meat and French fries at a discounted price. A double portion of steak would be 228 baht. A big bottle of Leo or Chang goes for 75 baht, while Coke is only 15 baht and water 10 baht!

[post-6485-0-34859600-1469803346.jpg

Besides the misses with the steak, the table I had faced right out on 3rd Road. It was hot and you got all the noise and exhaust fumes from the street.

post-6485-0-56447300-1469803222.jpg

I wouldn't have rushed back to Steak 9, but unusual circumstances put me there again Tuesday with BM capdagde (Andy Cap). We had planned to eat at the Tsunami Sushi Buffet, but there were no seats at 6.00 p.m., so we continued down 3rd Road to Steak 9. Andy was hungry, so he ordered both the steak and fish, a budget "surf and turf" combo.

post-6485-0-84532800-1469803337.jpg

He was happy with his meal and said the beef was better than a lot you get in France.

post-6485-0-54868000-1469803355.jpg

I had the pork steak and it, too, was good. It was juicy and not overcooked with plenty of flavor, definitely different to the tasteless pork you often get in the West.

Steak 9 won't become a regular haunt, but I wouldn't hesitate to eat there again if I have my way past. The food I've had there is better than at other budget restaurants like the Sailor or Seaside, altrhough the menu is more limited.

The red marker shows its location. It's within easy walking distance of the LK Metro area. If you're riding the baht bus on Soi Bukhao, get off

post-6485-0-02662600-1469803218.gif

Evil

devil.gif

I've eaten at the Reef a number of times. Most of the time the meals are tasty. Then you would have the truly awful meal. I never had a problem sending the food back.

• 1 month later...

Retox Game On, on Soi Honey near 2nd Road, deserves a full-scale review, but for now, I'll just mention one meal I had there: the gammon steak with eggs, thick-cut chips and fried pineapple for 275 baht.

IMG_0101.jpg

It was a a large portion with a thick piece of ham- once gammon is cooked, it becomes ham - two eggs, two slices of pineapple and plenty of chips.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

The eggs were fresh and cooked perfectly "sunny side up."

IMG_0104A.jpg

The ham was a bit salty, but I like it that way. It was moist and had a lot of flavor, clearly a quality product.

IMG_0107.jpg

The pineapple added a sweet balance to the saltiness of the ham.

IMG_0108.jpg

I didn't much like the chips; they weren't crisp and too soft and soggy for my taste. I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of thick-cut chips and prefer the thin-cut style that have been twice fried. I would certainly go back to Retox Game On for its ham and eggs, but I'd ask for fried potatoes rather than chips.

Retox Game On appears very popular as a sports bar, but this short review only covers one meal under 300 baht. It has an extensive menu, with a lot of options under 300 baht. It's mostly U.K. comfort food, but there are some "international" and Thai dishes as well.

Untitled-1a.jpg

Evil

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

One night last week I felt a need for comfort food, so I popped into Secrets for a plate of macaroni and cheese at 199 baht, including two slices of garlic bread.

post-6485-0-10036400-1477266922.jpg

Mac and cheese is the quintessential comfort food for me, bringing back memories of elementary school lunches and Saturday dinners on cold fall and winter evenings. It's one of the simplest comfort foods to make, but also among the best. The combination of pasta and cheddar cheese is irresistible.

post-6485-0-14245100-1477266930.jpg

Secrets' mac and cheese didn't disappoint. It was stove top as opposed to oven baked, but still very good. The sauce was rich and creamy with a heavy cheddar taste. That's exactly how I like it. The pasta was a perfect al dente. Mushy pasta is unfortunately all too common in Pattaya restaurants, but not at Secrets.

post-6485-0-39977900-1477266934.jpg

It was a generous portion, if not a huge one. But unless you're burning 10,000 calories a day, you shouldn't be eating huge portions of high-calorie high-carbohydrate food.

post-6485-0-17930700-1477266939.jpg

Bottom line: Good! There's not much more I need to say about mac and cheese. Through the years, Secrets has proved to be a good place for classic U.K. and U.S. comfort food.

Evil

devil.gif

• Downvote 1
  • Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)