Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

Bullfrog. I don't think that the Coins will suit for Xmas Day on the basis of what you are looking at. This is your well cooked but standard meal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I went there today....4 x two seater tables outside by the motorcys I wouldn't eat nor drink there disregarding what meal or what time of year it was...

post-6485-0-25715800-1477459324.jpg

An update on My Way's beef tenderloin file (180 grams, or (EDIT IN to correct error) 6.3 ounces for Americans) at 295 baht.

post-6485-0-04097400-1477457277.jpg

It comes with a small side salad and choice of potatoes, which in my case was fried.

post-6485-0-32359500-1477457273.jpg

post-6485-0-21851300-1477457291.jpg

The beef was tender and full of flavor. My Way has held a high standard through the years regarding its beef. I would have preferred the gravy on the side, but I forgot to tell the waitress and got it European style.

post-6485-0-52173800-1477457281.jpg

It was cooked as I ordered it, medium rare.

post-6485-0-80135900-1477457284.jpg

post-6485-0-07741900-1477457288.jpg

Bottom line: My Way (in the arcade on 2nd Road that runs beside Kiss Food and Beefeater) remains a good option for those who want decent beef but aren't prepared to spend a lot.

Evil

:devil

This became my destination dinner after Coins proved little more than a pavement with tables. Unfortunately it doesn't open till 3pm..

looks very nice...

My Way has proven to be one of the most consistent small restaurants in Pattaya. I've eaten there for close to 10 years and never had a bad meal.

Evil

• Upvote 1

EP....Do you have any suggestions for Xmas Dinner....????

Bite Me is definately one option...The girls are sort of "family" to me in there too....

Jolly's is doing a buffet for 599 Baht by the way...

Casa Pascal is 1,395 for early sitting and 1,695 for late sitting (both prices are from memory and are ball park figures)

I don't have much experience with Christmas dinners in Pattaya. Before I moved here, I never spent an Xmas here. Since moving, I've mostly eaten Xmas dinner at friends' homes or other special arrangements. This year it may well be Bite Me! although that's not certain as a friend may be planning a private party. I'll start a thread about Xmas dinner options later today. I've seen prices ranging from 550 baht (Sutus Court) through 2,495 baht (Edge at the Hilton). Bite Me! costs 1,200 something, with three sittings (1 p.m.; 4 p.m.; 7 p.m.).

A lot depends on whether you want stuff like hats and Christmas crackers and whether it has to be child friendly or it's only the food which is important. There is no shortage of options, but many will be booked solid by Dec. 10, so it doesn't pay to ponder too long.

Evil

I don't have much experience with Christmas dinners in Pattaya. Before I moved here, I never spent an Xmas here. Since moving, I've mostly eaten Xmas dinner at friends' homes or other special arrangements. This year it may well be Bite Me! although that's not certain as a friend may be planning a private party. I'll start a thread about Xmas dinner options later today. I've seen prices ranging from 550 baht (Sutus Court) through 2,495 baht (Edge at the Hilton). Bite Me! costs 1,200 something, with three sittings (1 p.m.; 4 p.m.; 7 p.m.).

A lot depends on whether you want stuff like hats and Christmas crackers and whether it has to be child friendly or it's only the food which is important. There is no shortage of options, but many will be booked solid by Dec. 10, so it doesn't pay to ponder too long.

Evil

For many years I spent Xmas at a friend's house in CR. It also doubled as his eldest daughter's birthday so was quite a big gathering. I guess I moved down here about 4 years ago and also spent it around a friend's house.

One thing is for sure, if I am by myself, I will go to Bite Me at 11 am opening...Peter is an excellent bloke and the whole place reminds me of Doug and Yim in Soi Rangnam......Although Peter has yet to ban me and reinstate me the next morning!!!

I noticed the Devonshire (my old regiment) is interestingly priced per course which suits me as I wouldn't eat a pud anyway....I think it is 150/399/120 for each course...

I went there today....4 x two seater tables outside by the motorcys I wouldn't eat nor drink there disregarding what meal or what time of year it was...

We must be going to different places then! Heaps of indoor seating at the Coins. I did forget however that for me part of the joy of Pattaya is being able to eat outdoors every day. The only place that break the rule for is Retox but even then I have been moving away so that I can eat out doors. As for the Coins. I find that the comings and goings at the massage place next door plus the street theatre of Soi Buakhao is almost worth the price. Vive la difference

We must be going to different places then! Heaps of indoor seating at the Coins. I did forget however that for me part of the joy of Pattaya is being able to eat outdoors every day. The only place that break the rule for is Retox but even then I have been moving away so that I can eat out doors. As for the Coins. I find that the comings and goings at the massage place next door plus the street theatre of Soi Buakhao is almost worth the price. Vive la difference

I too am an outdoor / open air drinker/diner ......Were you refering to Coins or 18 Coins opposite???

Oops. The one on the left heading South.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This one:

1.jpg

2.jpg

It does have indoor seating. The chairs are more comfortable and substantial than many other Pattaya restaurants. Although it's an open-front restaurant, the ventilation "inside" worked well and it wasn't warm at all.

3.jpg

4.jpg

They have proper place mats as well.

5.jpg

I got there at 7.30 p.m., intending to have a Sunday roast dinner but :crying: Roast beef, pork and chicken were sold out, even the mashed potatoes were finished, so French fries were the only potato option with other meals. I've always said you should get to buffets and roast dinners as early as possible, so I should have taken my own advice. It's like the Pete Seeger song:

Where have all the roast dinners gone,
long time passing?
short time ago?
Where have all the roast dinners gone?
In punters bellies everyone
Oh, when will I ever learn?

I settled for a ham and cheese toastie at 85 baht. It was good.

6.jpg

The ham had been sliced from a joint and wasn't the thin-sliced processed stuff. The bread was fresh and thick and the cheese had a lot of flavor. It had also been toasted in a sandwich press. It was among the best toasties I've had in Pattaya.

7.jpg

Still hungry, I moved on to Harry's on Soi Diana which offers a Sunday roast buffet for 199 baht. But again- :cry1 it was finished. So I had one more sandwich, a Scandinavian-style open-faced shrimp sandwich with boil egg, dill and mayonnaise for 185 baht.

8.jpg

It was good, with plenty of shrimp. The cook had gone a touch heavy on the mayo and light on the dill for my taste, but that is down to personal preference.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I actually took it as good sign the roast dinners were sold out in both places as that indicates they are popular. Clearly popularity with customers isn't the most important factor in judging the quality of a restaurant's food; otherwise, McDonalds and KFC would be serving the best food in the world. But for a meal like a Sunday roast, it's not a bad thing that expats and tourists flock to eat it.

I noticed from the menu that The Coins offers roast dinners every day, not just Sundays. I'll try to order it today.

Santa Penevil

christmas_animated_santa-dancing.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil

Thanks Evil. You got it right.

Just one point that I would make and that is that the roast meal is certainly enough for me. I have tried to avoid what we call "Pig Out Palaces" where its all you can eat. Perhaps it is this type of place that is the cause of Pattaya having more than its fair share of over-weights. Back to the Coins. I still think that for 169 baht plus 15 baht for the water with all the UK newspapers to read and the street theater being as good as it is, the place is a bargain.

This one:

attachicon.gif 1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

It does have indoor seating. The chairs are more comfortable and substantial than many other Pattaya restaurants. Although it's an open-front restaurant, the ventilation "inside" worked well and it wasn't warm at all.

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

They have proper place mats as well.

attachicon.gif5.jpg

I got there at 7.30 p.m., intending to have a Sunday roast dinner but :crying: Roast beef, pork and chicken were sold out, even the mashed potatoes were finished, so French fries were the only potato option with other meals. I've always said you should get to buffets and roast dinners as early as possible, so I should have taken my own advice. It's like the Pete Seeger song:

long time passing?

short time ago?

Where have all the roast dinners gone?

In punters bellies everyone

I settled for a ham and cheese toastie at 85 baht. It was good.

attachicon.gif6.jpg

The ham had been sliced from a joint and wasn't the thin-sliced processed stuff. The bread was fresh and thick and the cheese had a lot of flavor. It had also been toasted in a sandwich press. It was among the best toasties I've had in Pattaya.

attachicon.gif7.jpg

Still hungry, I moved on to Harry's on Soi Diana which offers a Sunday roast buffet for 199 baht. But again- :cry1 it was finished. So I had one more sandwich, a Scandinavian-style open-faced shrimp sandwich with boil egg, dill and mayonnaise for 185 baht.

attachicon.gif8.jpg

It was good, with plenty of shrimp. The cook had gone a touch heavy on the mayo and light on the dill for my taste, but that is down to personal preference.

attachicon.gif9.jpg

attachicon.gif10.jpg

attachicon.gif11.jpg

I actually took it as good sign the roast dinners were sold out in both places as that indicates they are popular. Clearly popularity with customers isn't the most important factor in judging the quality of a restaurant's food; otherwise, McDonalds and KFC would be serving the best food in the world. But for a meal like a Sunday roast, it's not a bad thing that expats and tourists flock to eat it.

I noticed from the menu that The Coins offers roast dinners every day, not just Sundays. I'll try to order it today.

Santa Penevil

attachicon.gifchristmas_animated_santa-dancing.gif

Hi Evil thanks for another good report.

I have not eaten the roast at The Coins but a couple of years ago I did eat at the roast at the old 18 Coins,(the owners/ management of 18 coins moved over to the Coins a while back).

If you had ever walked past the 18 coins at that time early on a Sunday afternoon you would realise why they would be sold out at 7.30 pm, the place would be packed out. They probably sold out a lot earlier.

The one time I had the roast there they were doing a chicken and pork combo, (I avoid beef at that price level), the chicken and pork were both tender, and the rest of the plate was decent for the price. I can't remember the exact time I went but it was early afternoon and I had to wait for a table.

The reason I haven't eaten a roast there again is that I only eat a roast, on average, once or twice a month, so prefer to go for something that is very good, such as Nicky's.

As far as having a roast today, I would be wary. On occasions I have had roasts in midweek they have been reheated and not very good. Now I stick to the Sunday specials.

I haven't been in Harry's but every time I walk past it seems busy, so again, it's no surprise that they were sold out in the evenings.

Cheers

TG

Edited by tallguy

I too am an outdoor / open air drinker/diner ......Were you refering to Coins or 18 Coins opposite???

I prefer to get inside, as outside in small places, whatever food I get is often spoiled by someone smoking nearby.

I prefer to get inside, as outside in small places, whatever food I get is often spoiled by someone smoking nearby.

Oddly, I have never smoked but find secondary smoke quite comforting probably due to growing up in a household of smokers..........but of course it doesn't come without health risks..

Anyways, this thread proves yet again that we all have our little quirks but are able to express our points of view without vitriol..

Thanks Evil. You got it right.

Just one point that I would make and that is that the roast meal is certainly enough for me. I have tried to avoid what we call "Pig Out Palaces" where its all you can eat. Perhaps it is this type of place that is the cause of Pattaya having more than its fair share of over-weights. Back to the Coins. I still think that for 169 baht plus 15 baht for the water with all the UK newspapers to read and the street theater being as good as it is, the place is a bargain.

Thanks for the advice , a nice roast as you say a bargain , also I enjoy a ice tea they do a nice one ,

Joe

Thanks for the advice , a nice roast as you say a bargain , also I enjoy a ice tea they do a nice one ,

Joe

Thanks Joe for your review. There are two reasons why I think that this place (and others like it) are worth a mention. I, like a lot of others, over eat in those places that have all you can eat for say 299 baht. I hope that you walked away contented simply didnt need any more.

The other point was one that I addressed yesterday in another thread. This was the rising cost of Thailand and my contention that there are a lot of lower price alternatives. I ate at places like Retox (98 baht for the best breakfast in town?), Jolly Friar and smaller Thai restaurants last month and found some great meals for under 200 baht including a drink. If I am driven to have a hamburger I am happy with the cheeseburger, fries and salad at the PBG for 140 baht. Incidentally and also tagging onto my earlier post, all these places were recommended by ex pats living here.

I hasten to mention that looking for enjoying lower cost meals is not because I am mean or needy. It is simply one of my ploys for controlling my weight which would run riot if I ate at some of the places mentioned in the food reviews. Having said that I was starting to get addicted to sweet and sour prawns and the deep fried prawns in my little home cooking Thai place for 100 baht each.

I wanted something light for dinner a couple of weeks ago and had the grilled chicken sandwich on pita bread at the Golf Club (LK Metro) for 150 baht.

2.jpg

A nicely grilled and generous portion of chicken

3.jpg

with bean sprouts and slices of (for Thailand) good tomato. The only thing I didn't really like was the sauce, which seemed to be a combination of yoghurt and mayonnaise. But it was served on the side, so no problem.

1.jpg

But not everything at the Golf Cub is healthy. I've had the chiliburger (135 baht) far more often than the grilled chicken.

post-6485-0-22363500-1354597986.jpg

Evil

• Upvote 1

The chilli burger looks lush!!....

Each time I have taken a walk around that loop the GC tables were all being used so never had the chance to eat in there......but I have memories of going into one of the bars opposite (Metro?) and seeing that they had a GC menu....Perhaps you know which ones offer GC food and let us know...

I have ordered food from the Metro Bar's Golf Club menu a few times and it has always been delivered hot and quite well prepared and cooked.

Edit: Oh, and I can eat it in air-conditioned comfort in good company with a nice cold pint of Guinness.

Edited by yorta2
  • Upvote 1

The chilli burger looks lush!!....

Each time I have taken a walk around that loop the GC tables were all being used so never had the chance to eat in there......but I have memories of going into one of the bars opposite (Metro?) and seeing that they had a GC menu....Perhaps you know which ones offer GC food and let us know...

Metro Apartments has had a long standing arrangement with the Golf Club. Bars like Drunken Duck and Kilkenny do their own food but some of the other smaller bars may have a similar arrangement as the Metro.
  • Upvote 1

Edit: Oh, and I can eat it in air-conditioned comfort in good company with a nice cold pint of Guinness.

I have always been in good company there...it has always been empty......perhaps because I need a shower..

Metro Apartments has had a long standing arrangement with the Golf Club. Bars like Drunken Duck and Kilkenny do their own food but some of the other smaller bars may have a similar arrangement as the Metro.

Thanks..

.Perhaps you know which ones offer GC food and let us know...

My experience has been that any bar without it's own food service can have food orders brought in from nearby bars/restaurants.

Evil

• Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)