Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

My Internet connection collapsed in the middle of my previous post and only about half of it reached the board. It took the techs a day to straighten the problem out and I've filled in the gaps, mostly missing pics. Sorry for the fractured early version.

Inconsistency is the hobgoblin of almost all restaurants in Pattaya, not just the small ones. A restaurant that serves up great food one day can be way off the mark the next day. That generally has to do with who's in the kitchen- the regular chef or cook or a substitute. A big, big problem is that a lot of Thai cooks don't know how farang food is supposed to taste. They prepare dishes according to recipes or instructions, but don't have a real sense of what they are supposed to be sending out to customers.

In terms of consistency, Casa Pascal is exceptional. It achieved a high standard for its food years ago and has maintained that standard. In 2014, I took a lot of pics at CP but never got aroundto doing a review. I'm posting them below so you can compare them with the recent pics from 2017. Not much has changed.

Just one other note: there's been some discussion as to whether CP offers baked beans at its buffet. Some days I've seen beans on the buffet table, other days not. I don't eat farang breakfast more than twice a month, so I don't know why beans are available some days and not others.

Evil

:devil

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1aa.jpg

1b.jpg

1bb.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

1f.jpg

1g.jpg

6a.jpg

6b.jpg

6c.jpg

7a.jpg

7b.jpg

8a.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

"A big, big problem is that a lot of Thai cooks don't know how farang food is supposed to taste. They prepare dishes according to recipes or instructions, but don't have a real sense of what they are supposed to be sending out to customers."

The same can be said of Issan food cooked by "Chonburi chefs" ......

I had the pancake breakfast this morning at Secrets on Soi 14. It cost 169 baht for three fluffy pancakes, a good portion of streaky bacon (I could have chosen side bacon) and a small pitcher of real maple syrup. I ordered two fried eggs for 30 baht and a large glass of apple juice for 90 baht.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

It all went down very well. To make use of one of the oldest cliches, it reminded me of the pancake breakfasts my mother made. Homemade pancakes, not from a mix.

IMG_0114.jpg

The bacon was crisp and not too salty, good quality stuff.

IMG_0115.jpg

I don't often have pancakes in Pattaya because I have almost always been disappointed, but I can recommend the Secrets' pancakes to anyone who enjoys home-style pancakes.

Evil

• Upvote 3

IMG_0086.jpg

I've had several meals at Spaghetti Bistro, a newly opened small restaurant on Soi 15 behind The Avenue Shopping Plaza.

IMG_0092.jpg

As its name indicates, pasta is its mainstay and it offers a surprisingly large choice for a small restaurant. All the standard pasta dishes on the menu can be done with spaghetti, penne or tagliatelle and there's an option to "design your own" plate of pasta in terms of sauce and ingredients. It also serves other Western dishes (steak, pork chops, chicken, tuna, salmon, salads, appetizers, sandwiches and desserts) and a few Thai dishes.

1.jpg

It does have some interesting items on the menu that I am looking forward to trying the. "Oriental Merguez & Harissa" pasta as well as the "Camembert on Toast." The menu clearly has some French and international touches to it. It's mainly Italian, but not strictly so.

2.jpg

There are four tables and some bar counter seats under the roof, plus a couple of small tables outside. It has a ceiling-mounted flat-screen TV and free WiFi.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

I tried the "Triple Cheesy (Parmesan, Emmental, blue cheese) with penne for 220 baht. It was a decent portion with excellent flavor. The chef got the mixture of cheeses just right.

IMG_0091.jpg

post-6485-0-81681600-1502230242.jpg

The penne was cooked as it should be, al dente. A problem with a lot of the pasta in Pattaya is that it is overcooked.

IMG_0089.jpg

Another day I had the old standard from my school lunches, spaghetti and meatballs, for 185 baht. The Spaghetti Bistrot version added diced fresh tomato. Again, a good portion with great flavor in the sauce and meatballs.

IMG_0105.jpg

post-6485-0-40230300-1502230254.jpg

post-6485-0-87402500-1502230257.jpgIMG_0102.jpg

Spaghetti Bistrot offers a daily special, such as the "Surf N Turf" announced in the pic below that I took from the restaurant's Facebook page. I've also seen Chicken Parmesan as a special for 240 baht. It also offers bottled beers, wine and spirits.

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

One interesting feature is that it offers both take-away and delivery. It's also open from 9.00 a.m. to 3.00 a.m., which are ambitious hours.

IMG_0112.jpg

The menu is extensive and rather sophisticated for a small restaurant. I no idea who owns it, but I've only ever seen Thais working there. The chef must have had a strong background in preparing European farang food. The only American items on the menu are the "Chicken Wings New Orleans" and the Chicken Parm, which was first made by Italian immigrants to the U.S.

post-6485-0-40019700-1502230227.jpgI certainly hope Spaghetti Bistrot succeeds, but I worry about its location. Soi 15 between 2nd Road and Soi Bukhao has very little foot traffic. Perhaps there are enough farang who live or stay in the immediate area to attract a solid customer base; otherwise it may struggle. The prices are reasonable for the quality of the food, but many enclosed restaurants with air conditioning offer similar dishes in the same price range. I wish them the best and I'm keeping.

Evil

devil.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

Thank you very much for this idea!!!

I will definately try it out...Do you have any idea about wine prices/availability??? If they don't do wine then its only a quick stumble to Wine Connection in the Avenue.....There are a few on the snack menu that could make for a nice slow afternoon ......

I will definately try it out...Do you have any idea about wine prices/availability??? If they don't do wine then its only a quick stumble to Wine Connection in the Avenue.....There are a few on the snack menu that could make for a nice slow afternoon ......

I don't believe they serve wine, but I'm not absolutely sure. I'll check for you next time I walk past.

Evil

Great reports Evil, thanks for posting, especially enjoyed the Casa comparison , 3 years and the have a formula that seems to work so have stuck with it. One small question, the maple syrup at Secrets, was it a substitute or the real thing?. I know it's a bit pedantic but flavoured "corn syrup" vs genuine Maple can make or break a pancake breakfast for me.

I don't believe they serve wine, but I'm not absolutely sure. I'll check for you next time I walk past.

Evil

Surely the Italians love their wine as much as the French ?

Maybe they accept that you BYOB if you pay a corkage ?

Sendt fra min ALE-L21 med Tapatalk

I'm going to try to make this an update day as I have pics from about 10 restaurants I haven't posted yet. I'll start with Le Pub on Soi Diamond between Walking Street and 2nd Road. Le Pub is the first bar on your right if you turn in to Soi Diamond from 2nd Road and conversely, the last on your left if approaching from WS. It's an excellent bar for many reasons and the food is one of them. Food is served between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m.

7a.jpg

I've had the bacon-and-egg roll several times. It's excellent and great value for money at 100 baht. The roll is cooked to order from quality ingredients. It's one of the better bacon-and-egg rolls I've had in Pattaya. Unlike a lot of cooks, the one at Le Pub knows how a bacon-and-egg bap should taste.

7b.jpg

I had a very late supper at Took La Dae on Beach Road in the wee hours of Monday. Took Lae Dee restaurants are always connected to a Foodland Supermarket. Like the supermarkets, the restaurants are open 24/7. The Beach Road branch is located under Royal Garden Plaza.

1.jpg

They serve Thai and other Asian staples as well as standard Western dishes at low prices. Indeed, the name Took Lae Dee is usually translated as "Cheap and Good." The "cheap" part is indisputable but "good" may be a bit optimistic. "Cheap and OK" would be more accurate.

4.jpg

The Took Lae Dee on Beach Road was clean, well-lit, spacious, air-conditioned and set up with an open kitchen, all of which are very positives for me. At 1.00 a.m., it had about 10 diners. None of us had to worry about service, as I counted 12 staff members.

2.jpg

The menu is hard to read at this resolution, but it does give an idea of prices and the range of dishes on offer. As said, it's pretty standard stuff with no big surprises. The Western dishes mostly fall into the "comfort food" category. I was intrigued by menu item #15: Pork Chop Hungarian Style. I began to think of ways a pork chop could be designated as Hungarian style, but again, it's probably best I keep them to myself. lmfao.gif

3.jpg

post-6485-0-87515700-1502855809.jpg

I ordered the yakisoba (Japanese stir-fry noodles) with seafood. I know full well that 1.00 a.m. isn't the best time to have a meal in restaurant like Took Lae Dee and figured yakisoba would be among the safer dishes. My first warning signal that something could be off was the speed with which my order arrived. It came within a couple of minutes. That meant it had to have been sitting already cooked and was reheated at best.

7.jpg

post-6485-0-42996400-1502855815.jpg

Unfortunately, my noodles were just above room temperature at best. The taste was OK, not remarkable, but it should have been served HOT.

9.jpg

Yakisoba is a modern Japanese dish that dates from the 1930's. The sauce is made from a combination of soy, oyster and Worcestershire sauces, plus ketchup and a little sugar for balance. The cook in this case had gone heavy on the ketchup and light on the other sauces. That's how yakisoba is often served on Okinawa as U.S. servicemen like it that way, but it wasn't what I was expecting from Took Lae Dee. The noodles were also too soft, a sure sign that they had been standing too long and the residual heat had overcooked them.

10.jpg

post-6485-0-45145200-1502855824.jpg

The yakisoba with seafood cost 126 baht, which is cheap for an indoor sit-down restaurant, but the portion was small. I'm not a fanatic about portion size, but this was on the skimpiest side. I came with a complimentary glass of ice water and had a Coke Zero for 35 baht. Total cost was 161 baht, including 7% VAT but with no service charge. The prices on the menu are net, i.e., inclusive of VAT.

11.jpg

post-6485-0-93818400-1502856004.jpg

Took Lae Dee is quite popular with both farang and Thais, so I won't refuse a another visit because of one lukewarm experience. Next time I'll go during the afternoon or early evening and try a Western dish. The cheapest farang dish on the menu is 64 baht for soup and the most expensive is 293 baht for the rib-eye steak. However, most come in under 150 baht.

5.jpg

post-6485-0-74900100-1502855811.jpg

Took Lae Dee offers what has to be one of Pattaya's least expensive breakfast specials at 62 baht for two eggs (fried or scrambled); bacon, ham or sausage; toast; juice; and coffee or tea. BUT, considering what's available elsewhere for around 100 baht, the Took Lae Dee special doesn't look like much of a deal.

6.jpg

post-6485-0-55993900-1502855813.jpg

Other breakfast choices are 119 baht and at that price, you're much better off going to Retox. Bottom line: there is none yet. I'll see if Took Lae Dee can rise in my estimation after a second visit. But no question, if you want a sit-down restaurant with some of Pattaya's cheapest prices, then TLD fills the bill.

Evil

devil.gif

devil.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

Thanks for post on Took La Dae at Royal Garden, I never knew there was one there. I've eaten at several around Thailand and always enjoyed them. Not the best food but good enough to say I had edible Thai food. Good source to 'try' different dishes, not too much lost if they don't suit your pallet.

Thanks for post on Took La Dae at Royal Garden, I never knew there was one there. I've eaten at several around Thailand and always enjoyed them. Not the best food but good enough to say I had edible Thai food. Good source to 'try' different dishes, not too much lost if they don't suit your pallet.

It and the Foodland Supermarket on Beach Road opened recently, within the past few months, I believe. The supermarket has pretty good prices.

Evil

From bacon baps to something entirely different ...

1.jpg

Five Star J is one of the older vegetarian restaurants in Pattaya. Located at the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road, it's a small restaurant with an extensive menu of vegetarian and vegan dishes. The restaurant changed ownership in 2015 and now not only eschews meat, but also chemical additives (MSG, preservatives, artificial coloring) refined sugar, trans fats and other substances the new owner considers unhealthy.

2.JPG

(Photo is from the restaurant's Web site)

I'm not exactly a healthy eater, but I have made an effort in recent years to improve my diet. I've cut back on red meat and cured pork products; they are now occasional treats rather than daily staples. One or two meals a week at Five Star J is another step in the right direction. For anyone who is serious about vegetarian or vegan food and avoiding chemical additives, it's one of the few options available in central Pattaya.

3.jpg

For anyone not familiar with the terminology, vegetarian means you don't eat meat, while vegans shun not only meat but animal products like eggs, milk, cheese and sometimes even honey. It's more complicated than that, as some vegans only eat raw foods and others exclude plants grown underground, but that's the general idea. The menu at Five Star J is marked as to which dishes are vegan. Eggs and cheese are used in some of the vegetarian dishes.

I didn't count the number of items on the menu, but the restaurant's Web site says there are over 100. It's an eclectic mix of cuisines and cooking styles, ranging from vegetarian takes on Thai classics to "mock meat" Western dishes like hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza and desserts. Pasta and noodles in various forms are well represented on the menu. Prices are reasonable, with most dishes under 200 baht and many between 100 and 150 baht.

Here are a few examples from the much bigger online menu:

3a.jpg

Five Star J has the option of ordering online for delivery, pick up and or in advance of dining in, as all dishes are made to order and there could be a wait on busy nights.

3b.jpg

The interior is well-lit and scrupulously clean, important factors for me. It is a bit cramped, with eight tables for four in a rather tight space. There are a couple of tables outside.

4.jpg

On a recent visit I had the "fresh spring rolls, Vietnamese style," as a starter for 129 baht.

5.jpg

It consisted of salad greens (not just lettuce), seaweed, raw vegetables, mint and other herbs wrapped in rice paper. It came with a with peanut/pineapple sauce.

6.jpg

Basically, it's a salad in a different form. It tasted great as the mint and herbs gave it a lot of flavor and a little bite.

7.jpg

I don't think peanuts and pineapple are complementary flavors and would have preferred the sauce to be peanut only, perhaps with a separate pineapple variant for those who want some natural sweetness. On the whole, it was a good starter and enough for two people to share.

8.jpg

I ordered the shiitake mushroom with white lettuce (139 baht) as my main course.

9.jpg

It was a simple dish, but played up the natural flavor of the shiitake. The sauce was salty, which I like, but it might have been a bit much for some. Five Star J doesn't use the ubiquitous nam pla (fish sauce), so the saltiness must have come from soy sauce.

10.jpg

Another evening I had the Swiss rösti with three fried eggs (189 baht). Again simplicity done well. The rösti had been fried in coconut oil and tasted excellent. The eggs were farm fresh.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

For dessert I had the black sesame paste dumplings in ginger syrup (69 baht). This was a variation of traditional Chinese tangyuan, but with a strong ginger taste and not as sweet as its Chinese counterpart.

14.jpg

I had apple juice to drink with the spring rolls and weissbier with the rösti dish. Five Star J offers complimentary water with its meals and the server asks whether you want it cold or at room temperature. Wine, beer and a variety of soft drinks, fruit juices and fruit shakes are available.

14a.jpg

The staff has a friendly manner and is knowledgeable about the food served. Before ordering, each diner is asked to look at a page in the menu which explains the type of food the restaurant serves. I assume this is to head off problems with first-time customers who may not understand it's strictly a vegetarian restaurant.

Bottom line: Five Star J is a healthy island in a sea of junk food. I'm not about to convert to vegetarianism, but I'm trying to eat better as I get older. A quote attributed to U.S. baseball great Mickey Mantle comes to mind: "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

So if you've ever thought about reforming your diet, give it a try. What have you got to lose except a couple of pounds?

Evil

devil.gif

There's a very lively Australian pub across the street from Five Star J.

15.jpg

For those not interested in vegetarian food, you might try the pub's Saturday steak special.

16.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

Great review of 5 Star - thanks.

I ate there several times on my last trip: there are so many interesting dishes to try out.

The mistake I made on the first couple of visits was to order too much. The helpings are quite substantial and belie the prices.

Evil,thanks for the in-depth coverage of Casa Pascal. Have you tried the BBQ Lunch portion there? If it's as good as the breakfast choices,I may have a new favorite.

Great review of 5 Star - thanks.

I ate there several times on my last trip: there are so many interesting dishes to try out.

The mistake I made on the first couple of visits was to order too much. The helpings are quite substantial and belie the prices.

Yes, the portions are quite large. If you're eating alone, I would suggest ordering one dish at a time. I've found that the appetizers are big enough for a meal for a single diner.

Evil,thanks for the in-depth coverage of Casa Pascal. Have you tried the BBQ Lunch portion there? If it's as good as the breakfast choices,I may have a new favorite.

I have eaten at Casa Pascal around noon a couple of times and didn't find it much different than the breakfast buffet on other visits. It's basically the same mix of warm dishes- pasta, potatoes in various forms, stews, stir-fry, soups, some Thai dishes, etc.- throughout the buffet service (8.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.) What's different for me is that by noon I am inclined to skip the bacon and eggs at the BBQ station and go more for the grilled chicken and pork. Inside I don't bother with the breakfast "incidentals" but concentrate on the non-breakfast stuff.

Evil

:devil:

Edited by Evil Penevil

0.jpg

Hachiban Ramen 8 is a chain of inexpensive Japanese ramen (noodle) restaurants that has about 100 branches in Thailand, usually in or near shopping malls and big retail outlets. I eat in the one on the ground floor of Tukcom, but there are branches in Central Festival, Central Marina and elsewhere in Pattaya.
1.jpg
The menu is pretty much limited to noodles in various forms. Hachiban Ramen 8 is to Japanese noodles what McDonald's is to U.S. hamburgers. There are a few dishes with gyoza (dumplings, aka potstickers) or fried rice, but for the most part it's like a "best of" porno video - ramen, ramen, ramen. And within the ramen category, it's noodle soup that dominates, although there are a couple of cold noodle dishes. Some dishes have also been adapted to Thai ingredients and preferences.
1a.jpg
What you won't see on the menu is Western food. However, I'm including Hachiban in this thread because it's quite inexpensive- you can have a meal for well under 200 baht, even under 100 baht- and at least it's non-Thai food, if not farang. Some more examples from the menu:
1b.jpg
1c.jpg
Hachiban ticks all the boxes for when it comes to cleanliness, lighting and space. Another plus factor is the absence of annoying background music.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
It operates on an open kitchen basis and you can watch the cooks prepare your meal. Thai customers often do just that.
5.jpg
6.jpg
The big plastic menu cards with pics, descriptions and prices for each dish make it easy to order.
7.jpg
Separate cards promote the limited-time specials. I tried the negi chashumen (ramen with pork slices and chopped leek). It was exceptional value for money at 78 baht or 100 baht including a soft drink.
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
Another day I had the gyoza and ramen set, essentially Japanese comfort food, for 143 baht. Good taste, but it didn't scale any culinary heights; not, of course, that I would expect it to for 143 baht.
11.jpg
12.jpg
13a.jpg
14a.jpg
In case you're wondering about the round ingredient with the red numeral eight in the center, it is a slice of kamaboko, or fish cake. It's a tradition in Japan to make fish cakes with decorative designs inside. I thought perhaps 8 is a lucky number in Japan as it is in China. It is to some degree, but Hachiban Ramen 8 is named for National Highway 8 in Japan, the road on which the chain's first restaurant was located.
Bottom line: Hachiban Ramen 8 is a good option for a quick lunch or dinner. It's cheap and the food tastes fine, assuming you like Japanese noodles.
Evil
devil.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

Sorry I didn't answer sooner.Turns out they do serve wine, both red and white. I don't know anything about the brands, though.

Evil

Sorry I didn't answer sooner.Turns out they do serve wine, both red and white. I don't know anything about the brands, though.

Evil

Thanks..

I see you mentioned Walkabout Creek earlier. I used to use it quite often but stopped due to personal reasons. At the time they did an excellent Aussie burger well worth visiting for....

Thanks..

I see you mentioned Walkabout Creek earlier. I used to use it quite often but stopped due to personal reasons. At the time they did an excellent Aussie burger well worth visiting for....

I plan to try the steak there one day, but the times I've walked past in the evening, it seemed to have a fair number of drunk and rowdy young fellows. That's the kind of bar I usually avoid.

More info on the wine at Spaghetti Bistro. I took the photo tonight.

IMG_0155.jpg

And this is what I had for supper:

IMG_0157.jpg

The menu calls it "Oriental merguez & harissa." Merguez is a spicy lamb sausage of North African origin. Harissa is a paste made from chillies and various spices. It's common in Moroccan cooking. That a sophisticated dish for a small outdoor eatery in Pattaya.

IMG_0158.jpg

I had it with tagliatelle and it cost 185 baht.

IMG_0163.jpg

I liked it very much. I enjoy merguez and it's not often you see it on menus in Pattaya.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

I like the "open kitchen" model. Yesterday a Russian woman was giving the cook a lot of suggestions about preparing her meal.

IMG_0156.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I know The Bite has its own thread, but its daily specials and new discount card deserve mention in this thread. Last night I had the pulled lamb ragu on noodles at 275 baht.

IMG_0007.jpg

The lamb had been slow-cooked in a red wine stock.

IMG_0012.jpg

It was delicious! Tender and packed with flavor. The noodles had been cooked a perfect al dente.

IMG_0011.jpg

The pictures can be deceiving. It wasn't a small portion of lamb. I spread out the ragu to give a better idea of how much lamb there actually was.

IMG_0017.jpg

The Bite has begun with a rebate card, which makes their already reasonable even less expensive.

IMG_0019.jpg

The way it works is that you get one stamp on the back of the card for each 100 baht you spend. If your total bill is 310 baht, you get three stamps. My total bill, with the daily special, dessert and beverage, was 470 baht and I got four stamps. Ten stamps and you get 100 baht off your next meal. Not a bad deal at all! You can use the 100 baht off on the daily and weekly specials as well as the a la carte menu, but not in connection with other discount like Eatigo.

I topped off my meal with the sticky toffee and date pudding with butterscotch sauce and ice cream for 145 baht. Excellent!

IMG_0022.jpg

In central Pattaya, there aren't many places you can eat a main dish as good as The Bite offers for under 300 baht.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

EP, your food reviews are awesome as always.

I'm glad to see Five Star J fries with coconut oil. In most cooking oils, heating destroys the beneficial fats, but this is not true with coconut oil apparently. (Olive oil is fine for drizzling over salad, etc.)

Five Star J, Spaghetti Bistro, Great American Sandwich Company -- I've got my work cut out for me. Back in town next week, can't wait.

• Upvote 1
  • Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)