Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

I stopped by Hideaway for a modified version of their light American breakfast.  I traded the beans (seriously? American?) for another hash brown and the pancake which is authentic but I didn't want one for another sausage.  Just what I needed after my first night in the bars.

HideawayBreakfast.jpg

Edited by tko
spelling
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tko said:

I stopped by Hideaway for a modified version of their light American breakfast.  I traded the beans (seriously? American?) for another hash brown and the pancake which is authentic but I didnt one for another sausage.  Just what I needed after my first night in the bars.

HideawayBreakfast.jpg

The sausages and rashers look good, and I am sure you'd be given more butter for the toast if required but those eggs look awful with bugger all yoke to dip anything into. Of course that is a personal opinion and I wouldn't be offended if you said they were bloody delicious! 

7 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

The sausages and rashers look good, and I am sure you'd be given more butter for the toast if required but those eggs look awful with bugger all yoke to dip anything into. Of course that is a personal opinion and I wouldn't be offended if you said they were bloody delicious! 

Hard-frying egg yolks does appear to be a Thai thing, possibly related to a fear of salmonella but mostly just a matter of taste. I have encountered a lot TGs who were totally shocked that farang ate eggs with runny yolks.  I used to order pad krapao moo at least once a week at a favorite Thai hole-in-the-wall restaurant,  but the cook absolutely refused to lightly fry the egg.

Evil

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Hard-frying egg yolks does appear to be a Thai thing, possibly related to a fear of salmonella but mostly just a matter of taste. I have encountered a lot TGs who were totally shocked that farang ate eggs with runny yolks.  I used to order pad krapao moo at least once a week at a favorite Thai hole-in-the-wall restaurant,  but the cook absolutely refused to lightly fry the egg.

Evil

I confess I love to dip toast into the yolk and hate it when the eggs are overcooked.  But having been to some of the outdoor markets and seeing the eggs stored in the sun does give me pause.  Maybe they only do it in the less developed parts of SE Asia.

10 hours ago, Shooter said:

I confess I love to dip toast into the yolk and hate it when the eggs are overcooked.  But having been to some of the outdoor markets and seeing the eggs stored in the sun does give me pause.  Maybe they only do it in the less developed parts of SE Asia.

Better safe than sick..... I also hate it when around the yolk part has not been cooked much, snotty eggs I call them.... really puts me off. 

I have gotten quite sick from eggs here, duck eggs actually.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Better safe than sick..... I also hate it when around the yolk part has not been cooked much, snotty eggs I call them.... really puts me off. 

I have gotten quite sick from eggs here, duck eggs actually.

Yup.  I save my runny eggs for stateside.  I buy them from reputable sources and store them properly until cooking.  So far so good.  Thailand?  Well I eat a lot of scrambled eggs there.  ?

14 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Yup.  I save my runny eggs for stateside.  I buy them from reputable sources and store them properly until cooking.  So far so good.  Thailand?  Well I eat a lot of scrambled eggs there.  ?

Yeah, I usually go for omelets, they make them okay and fresh, sometimes there are cold disgusting looking pre-cooked fried eggs on offer in hotels which are awful. Scrambled all too frequently arrive cold. 

The fried eggs are pretty good at Nicky's I find. 

Edited by jacko
10 minutes ago, jacko said:

sometimes there are cold disgusting looking pre-cooked fried eggs on offer in hotels

That was my biggest gripe with Retox, Lengkee. I'm sure if you rummage amongst the rubble you'll find one or two fried eggs still holding their shape. Perhaps a bird or two using them as trampolines ...Weeee ..... Weeeeee!.

56 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Noun or verb ??

Which word?

• Haha 1
  • 11 months later...

I'm kicking this thread alive again. There's always a need for information about inexpensive restaurants which serve good food. I'm trapped in the U.S. due to Covid, so I can't offer dining experiences more recent than two years ago, but I can help out by posting menus and info on specials from restaurants' Facebook pages and Web sites. I would advise everyone to check the restaurants' social media sites to be sure the information below is still accurate.  Things change fast in these strange times!

I'll start with the LK Metro area.  The Rockhouse has a new menu. Whenever I ate there, the food was good and value for money.

rockhouse.png

Harry's is another dependable restaurant in the LK Metro area.  It offers Swedish and international dishes at reasonable prices.

harryslogo.png

harrys.PNG

harrys2.PNG

I never had a bad meal at Kilkenny. I found the Sunday lamb roast and the weekly porkchop special very tasty and excellent value for money. Kilkenny was one of my "go-to" restaurants while living in Pattaya. I'm posting a list of their most recent specials.  As I recall, it's the same daily special(s) every week, but check Kilkenny's Facebook page to be sure.

killogo.png   kilA.png

KilB.png

Kilc.png

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated Feb. 26, 2022)

Nice to see that at least Harry's has Thai food on offer. I don't go to LOS to eat the same old Western foods, except for a (very) occasional pizza with my Thai kids.?

• 4 months later...

This week's specials at Cheap Charlie's, taken from its Facebook page. Very low prices on the specials and only 99 baht with Cheap Charlie's Reward Card.

CC.PNGCS2.PNGCCW.PNG

2917494.png

291796422.png

292041732n.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evil Penevil changed the title to Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated July 4, 2022)

I saw the Wombat & Kiwi Bar (corner of Soi 9, Jomtien Beach Road) mentioned on another board, so I went to their Facebook page.  The prices are very low:

Wombat.jpg

This is their Monday special:

They also have "all-you-can-eat" specials for 99 baht!  I don't like to link directly to Facebook, but it's easy to find the details for anyone who's interested.  They also have a Sunday roast for 99 or 150 baht.

Untitled-1.jpg

Since I've been in the U.S. for the past 30 months, I can't vouch for the quality of the food.  But at least one "boots-on-ground" reviewer whose judgment I trust says it's good and definitely value for money.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 3

The Queen Victoria Inn is a venerable and popular restaurant and guest house that's been serving visitors to Pattaya for more than two decades.  I always found it a reliable and inexpensive place to have a meal or an ale while taking a break from the bustle of Soi 6.

My standard disclaimer:  I haven't been in Pattaya since late January 2020, so I can't know what's happened ass Pattaya emerges from the Covid restrictions.  I'm posted the Queen Vic menu for informative purposes.  Those with boots on the ground will have to write the reviews.

The queen Vic has plenty of specials and ordinary menu items under 300 baht.  It also has three weekly all-you-can-eat buffets, but the curry and U.K.-style Chinese buffets are 325 baht and the Sunday carvery is 370 baht.  You can find more info on the buffets on the Queen Vic Web site.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

The QV Facebook page says they have begun offering Philly cheesesteaks, but I couldn't see any details regarding price.

11.jpg

The Nordic breakfast (scrambled eggs and smoked salmon) at 180 baht was a favorite of mine.

7.jpg

12.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

Strolled down to Lek Hotel this morning to use the last buffet voucher in the booklet.  Thought was the 120B price has probably risen 555...  Good news - the price has not risen.  Bad news - the buffet is no more - area is empty.

Soi 6 is a favorite of mine and i often end my stroll at the Queen Vic. Gather enough food take away for 2 days dinner and while waiting have yet another Rum.  Bolt meets me at the door.

6 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

The Queen Victoria Inn is a venerable and popular restaurant and guest house that's been serving visitors to Pattaya for more than two decades.  I always found it a reliable and inexpensive place to have a meal or an ale while taking a break from the bustle of Soi 6.

My standard disclaimer:  I haven't been in Pattaya since late January 2020, so I can't know what's happened ass Pattaya emerges from the Covid restrictions.  I'm posted the Queen Vic menu for informative purposes.  Those with boots on the ground will have to write the reviews.

The queen Vic has plenty of specials and ordinary menu items under 300 baht.  It also has three weekly all-you-can-eat buffets, but the curry and U.K.-style Chinese buffets are 325 baht and the Sunday carvery is 370 baht.  You can find more info on the buffets on the Queen Vic Web site.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

The QV Facebook page says they have begun offering Philly cheesesteaks, but I couldn't see any details regarding price.

11.jpg

The Nordic breakfast (scrambled eggs and smoked salmon) at 180 baht was a favorite of mine.

7.jpg

12.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I ate there a few times in February/March and thought the service and food was as before covid.  Good food.  Good service.  Comfort food.  No idea who owns or runs it but they have a better clue how to run a restaurant than I ever will. 

On 3/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, Shooter said:

I buy the organic ones from the supermarkets.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:28 PM, Evil Penevil said:

This week's specials at Cheap Charlie's, taken from its Facebook page. Very low prices on the specials and only 99 baht with Cheap Charlie's Reward Card.

CC.PNGCS2.PNGCCW.PNG

2917494.png

291796422.png

292041732n.png

its almost 3 years and now planning  a trip to pattaya next month, i have the Cc discount card  is it still valid? and is it at the same place in bukhao?

On 7/17/2022 at 12:27 AM, kratos said:

its almost 3 years and now planning  a trip to pattaya next month, i have the Cc discount card  is it still valid? and is it at the same place in bukhao?

I don't know if the card is still valid but Cheap Charlies is still there and open, up from the hospital on Buakhao. 

https://goo.gl/maps/dfJ5q6TXDgYzJgVw7

Edited by jacko
11 hours ago, kratos said:

I haven't been in Pattaya for 30 months, but I try to contribute to the board by re-posting FB and Web site menus and specials for inexpensive food.

To my knowledge, Cheap Charlie's is still on Buakhao, but I don't know about the discount card. Maybe someone with boots on the ground can ask or you could send a message via CC's FB page?

Evil

• Like 2
12 hours ago, kratos said:

Still operating in the same place on Buakhao but I have no knowledge of their discount card.

Can confirm that the Lek Hotel buffet breakfast coupons are worthless as the buffet has ceased.  My last 120B coupon is staring at me as I type...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I’m not having much luck finding Western food that is anything more than mediocre, especially when it’s delivered.  Usually, pizza makes it to my place OK, but even that is sometimes asking too much. I ordered a pizza yesterday and when I opened the box, all the ingredients had shifted to one side of the pizza.  Maybe the driver had to make a very quick stop?

Otherwise, even when dining out, I end up with food that’s barely edible, more often than not.  Wouldn’t you think one could find some good food?  Nothing too fancy.  Maybe some good Mexican food, or Italian.  Once in a while, I get lucky, but that’s what it is. Pure luck. And it’s not as if I’m trying to be cheap.  

Thai food is another story.  Usually, I can find good Thai food.