Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated March 19, 2021)

I stopped by Hideaway for a modified version of their light American breakfast.  I traded the beans (seriously? American?) for another hash brown and the pancake which is authentic but I didn't want one for another sausage.  Just what I needed after my first night in the bars.

HideawayBreakfast.jpg

Edited by tko
spelling
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently read a statement that said if you pay under 300 baht for a Western meal in Pattaya, you get garbage. That's both unfair and uninformed, an attempt at a thinly disguised "hatchet job." I dis

Witherspoons is a very popular sports bar and restaurant on Soi Bukhao near the corner with Soi LengKee. Not too long ago it ran into problems with Thai authorities over its operating hours, but those

Casa Pascal offers the best breakfast buffet in its price class in central Pattaya.     It is located just off 2nd Road near The Avenue and across from Royal Garden Plaza.       Eggs and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tko said:

I stopped by Hideaway for a modified version of their light American breakfast.  I traded the beans (seriously? American?) for another hash brown and the pancake which is authentic but I didnt one for another sausage.  Just what I needed after my first night in the bars.

HideawayBreakfast.jpg

The sausages and rashers look good, and I am sure you'd be given more butter for the toast if required but those eggs look awful with bugger all yoke to dip anything into. Of course that is a personal opinion and I wouldn't be offended if you said they were bloody delicious! 

7 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

The sausages and rashers look good, and I am sure you'd be given more butter for the toast if required but those eggs look awful with bugger all yoke to dip anything into. Of course that is a personal opinion and I wouldn't be offended if you said they were bloody delicious! 

Hard-frying egg yolks does appear to be a Thai thing, possibly related to a fear of salmonella but mostly just a matter of taste. I have encountered a lot TGs who were totally shocked that farang ate eggs with runny yolks.  I used to order pad krapao moo at least once a week at a favorite Thai hole-in-the-wall restaurant,  but the cook absolutely refused to lightly fry the egg.

Evil

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Hard-frying egg yolks does appear to be a Thai thing, possibly related to a fear of salmonella but mostly just a matter of taste. I have encountered a lot TGs who were totally shocked that farang ate eggs with runny yolks.  I used to order pad krapao moo at least once a week at a favorite Thai hole-in-the-wall restaurant,  but the cook absolutely refused to lightly fry the egg.

Evil

I confess I love to dip toast into the yolk and hate it when the eggs are overcooked.  But having been to some of the outdoor markets and seeing the eggs stored in the sun does give me pause.  Maybe they only do it in the less developed parts of SE Asia.

10 hours ago, Shooter said:

I confess I love to dip toast into the yolk and hate it when the eggs are overcooked.  But having been to some of the outdoor markets and seeing the eggs stored in the sun does give me pause.  Maybe they only do it in the less developed parts of SE Asia.

Better safe than sick..... I also hate it when around the yolk part has not been cooked much, snotty eggs I call them.... really puts me off. 

I have gotten quite sick from eggs here, duck eggs actually.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Better safe than sick..... I also hate it when around the yolk part has not been cooked much, snotty eggs I call them.... really puts me off. 

I have gotten quite sick from eggs here, duck eggs actually.

Yup.  I save my runny eggs for stateside.  I buy them from reputable sources and store them properly until cooking.  So far so good.  Thailand?  Well I eat a lot of scrambled eggs there.  ?

14 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Yup.  I save my runny eggs for stateside.  I buy them from reputable sources and store them properly until cooking.  So far so good.  Thailand?  Well I eat a lot of scrambled eggs there.  ?

Yeah, I usually go for omelets, they make them okay and fresh, sometimes there are cold disgusting looking pre-cooked fried eggs on offer in hotels which are awful. Scrambled all too frequently arrive cold. 

The fried eggs are pretty good at Nicky's I find. 

Edited by jacko
10 minutes ago, jacko said:

sometimes there are cold disgusting looking pre-cooked fried eggs on offer in hotels

That was my biggest gripe with Retox, Lengkee. I'm sure if you rummage amongst the rubble you'll find one or two fried eggs still holding their shape. Perhaps a bird or two using them as trampolines ...Weeee ..... Weeeeee!.

56 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Noun or verb ??

Which word?

• Haha 1