Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ending a Marriage

My wife and I have decided to divorce. She is 25 and I am 67. We have been together almost 5 years - married less than a year. Over the last couple to three years I have give her and her family around 500,000 baht. She has 3 dress shops around Pattaya.

She has agreed to pay 12,000 I recently borrowed from a friend for her.. Also 52,000 I told her I had borrowed from my brother. She has also agreed to pay me back 150,000 for all the money I gave her to open the shops etc.

Do I need to have some legal document related to this BEFORE I do the divorce. I know that 50% of everything acquired AFTER the marriage can be split. Her shops are just getting started, so it wouldn't do me any good to force her to sell them and split 50/50. I just want to be sure that if she changes her mind later on, I can be protected and get my money back...

Thanks in advance for any HELPFUL replies... Wankers and Trolls, keep it to yourself.

Hi Michael

I remember you from the Thaigers forum, sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you. I can't offer any help or advice, but hopefully there's a BM here who might be able to point you in the direction of a decent Lawyer or course of action.

Sorry I can't help mate.

Cheers

Butch

You should of course ask a lawyer, but I can understand you being wary of one.

You can get free advice from one at one of the Expats Clubs in the Pattaya area.

I would not trust her promise to pay back 'later'.......do you have any lien or ownership yourself or is it in her name?

My first thought was you have got off relatively lightly and if you can afford to walk away from it, I would do that.

First, i am sorry to hear of your marriage coming to an end. It's a 50/50 chance anywhere in the world and then sometimes it's only a matter of when. Does 5 years or 25 years count as a success or failure? To me, it is not just about time, but depends on our initial marriage contract and expectations which is not the same for any of us.

Ok, in regards to your divorce, if she is willing, then have her sign a 'promissory note' for the amount she 'owes' you and to be included within the Divorce Agreement (depending on your pre-nuptial agreement).

And yes, IMHO you're getting off easy at 100k baht per year after a 5 year relationship :).

I would use one or two of the three law firms (2nd opinions in semi-complicated legal or medical issues) we used to write up and witness our pre-nuptial agreement. One of them was Siam Legal International in Bangkok. They have a team of lawyers who consult on issues and their fees are reasonable. When interviewing local lawyers, we ran into some that i would not trust or pay their exorbitant fees or some that had undisclosed fees (they would quote 'normal').

I see that Siam Legal now has an office in Pattaya, but we used their main office in Bangkok.

Bangkok:

http://www.siam-legal.com/thai-law/bangkok-lawyer.php

Pattaya:

http://www.siam-legal.com/thai-law/pattaya-lawyer.php

Divorce process in Thailand via Siam Legal website:

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/thailand-divorce.php

Good luck and enjoy finding your next relationship :).

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 2

Just forget about it. Get your divorce, keep quiet and move on with your life.

Lots of things can go wrong for you just write it off and enjoy your retirement.

Edited by mike_asia

Thanks for all the replies. I am doing a promissory note for the amount. I will do both English and Thai Translation. Both will be notarized and included in the divorce papers at the Amphur. That way, it is "registered" as part of the divorce should I have to take further action later.

Thanks for all the replies. I am doing a promissory note for the amount. I will do both English and Thai Translation. Both will be notarized and included in the divorce papers at the Amphur. That way, it is "registered" as part of the divorce should I have to take further action later.

You will never collect it and are wasting your time. The most likely 'further action' is her new boyfriend inflicting physical harm on you or you end up being a so called suicide which means thrown out a window.

Let it go don't be daft.

I'm sorry about your marriage. As others have stated just get the divorce and get on with your life. 500,000 baht is only a little over $14,000 US. She may have good intentions, but the monetary pressure of sustaining 3 business's and paying you back will be too much for her...

You only need to go with her and your 2 copies of marriage certificates to your local town hall for an uncontested divorce. Both of you have a marriage document.

you both will be asked what agreed settlement (if any ) is made.

you put in writing whatever agreemnet is made.

you get your divorce certificate there and then.

It is simple and does not need a lawyer.