Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Beerfest at The Avenue on 2nd Road

The old Beerfest seemed to cater to the Russian crowd... From Mr E's wonderful report, that seems to not have changed... (I'll check in a couple of weeks when I return...)...

Hope they have other than the commercial beer's when I get there...

...and out of curiosity.. I thought it was considered "illegal" to brew beer.. (if you weren't otherwise well connected)...

Hope Mr G tries out the food and lets us know how authentic it is (or not)...

...and out of curiosity.. I thought it was considered "illegal" to brew beer.. (if you weren't otherwise well connected)...

I've only heard this, so I don't know if it is accurate or not, but the story goes that microbreweries which only sell their beer to customers at an attached bar/restaurant can obtain a license/dispensation from local authorities. It is entirely possible that tea is the microbrewery's secret ingredient.

Evil

:devil

Is pelmini like pieroggi? I used to eat a version of that in the USA.

Pelmeni are much smaller than pierogis, which have a thicker dough covering and are mostly (but not always) crescent-shaped. Polish pierogis can have either sweet or savory fillings, while pelmeni are virtually always savory and mostly meat-filled, although regional variations with vegetable fillings do occur. The pierogis widely available in the U.S. are mostly filled with mashed potatoes flavored with onions, cheese, bacon or another ingredient, but there are many, many kinds of fillings (mushrooms, sauerkraut, meat, cabbage, etc) in Poland, not just mashed potato. Sweet pierogis often have a berry filling.

Pierogi is considered a national dish of Poland with a lot of regional variations. Different types of pierogis are served on holidays such as Christmas and on special occasions like weddings, wakes and christenings. There's a lot of tradition associated with pierogis.

The menu at Beerfest features varenyky, which are Ukrainian dumplings very similar to pierogi.

Pierogis from the Web:

Captureccc.JPG

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

I said I'd wait a week or so before visiting Beerfest again to give them a chance to get the draft beer flowing, but the hot weather hastened my return. A couple of days ago, the 95 degree heat and high humidity really got to me as soon as I I stepped outside. I just didn't have the energy to go further than the nearby Avenue Mall, so I had another meal at Beerfest.

IMG_0002.jpg

I had wanted to try the okroshka (Russian cold summer soup, 100 baht), but it wasn't available. I instead had a small cup of cream of mushroom instead (60 baht), which had a darker color and deeper flavor than you usually get with mushroom soup..

IMG_0003.jpg

Beerfest also has Ukranian varenyky on the menu. Varenyky are crescent-shaped filled dumplings that are larger than pelmeni and closer to Polish pierogis in size and the thickness of the dough covering. At Beerfest, the varenyky filled with cabbage and bacon (100 baht).

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

It was OK, but I didn't like it as much as the pelmeni. Beerfest had been a bit stingy with the filling of the varenyky, resulting a low ratio of filling to dough. Th filling tasted fine, but was somewhat watery.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3A.jpg

If I want to have Russian dumplings again at Beerfest, I'll stick to the pelmeni. But no doubt, the soup (60 baht), varenyky (100 baht) and Coke Zero (40 baht) cost a total of 200 baht, which is cheap for a filling meal.

My next report should be about their craft beer.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1