Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Mail receiving "back home" (e.g. USA)

I have to setup a mail service with scanning, forwarding and receiving capability back in the USA.

I'd be interested in recommendations for mail box style services that have "real" physical addresses (needs to be address for credit cards and banks too).

I have a mail box at a UPS store. They forward mail and advertise that they would also open and scan at my direction. I haven't used the scan service. This likely wouldn't meet all of your requirements. When I submit a forwarding order with USPS, their computer immediately recognizes it as a commercial mail service. Think I had the same thing happen with Best Buy when I tried to order something. Wells Fargo will take it as a mailing address as long as I also provide a Home/Permanent address which I still have. American Express accepted it as an address.

• Upvote 1

I've been using USAMail1.com for the past four years. However, it is best to use a mail forwarding company in the city you visit most often in case you want to have packages delivered prior to your arrival. If that isn't an issue and you'll have all your mail forwarded to Thailand, then a company anywhere will do. USAMail1.com clicks all the boxes for me. They can even set you up with a US telephone number.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

I use USGlobalmail.com

They look great, except they charge more for letter scanning than the others. Additionally, their address in Houston, TX has 8.25% sales tax.

$10/mo for 2 year contract looks good tho.

I'm leaning towards https://travelingmailbox.com

The address is in a 7% sales tax area, they have 35 free page scans/mo, 40 envelopes/mo, free shredding...all for $15/mo

Also, they have a very responsive online chat, so I don't need to be calling or emailing them.

Seems the others have extra charges for page scans and similar monthly rates.

I'm leaning towards https://travelingmailbox.com

The address is in a 7% sales tax area, they have 35 free page scans/mo, 40 envelopes/mo, free shredding...all for $15/mo

Also, they have a very responsive online chat, so I don't need to be calling or emailing them.

Seems the others have extra charges for page scans and similar monthly rates.

What is meant by a 7% tax area?

This idea is new to me.

What is meant by a 7% tax area?

This idea is new to me.

The reason that's a factor is if I do any online purchases, sales tax applies based on address.

I know it's a minor consideration, but every little bit helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

The reason that's a factor is if I do any online purchases, sales tax applies based on address.

I know it's a minor consideration, but every little bit helps.

No, not minor. In California sales taxes can vary by county.

So when I do Amazon it may be higher here in Fresno than San Jose, if I understand you correctly. If local jurisdictions are relevant.

After all, is that not why companies incorporate in some states or countries instead of others?

But understand you are on mobile,

No, not minor. In California sales taxes can vary by county.

So when I do Amazon it may be higher here in Fresno than San Jose, if I understand you correctly. If local jurisdictions are relevant.

After all, is that not why companies incorporate in some states or countries instead of others?

But understand you are on mobile,

When I said "sales tax area", I meant the city, county, and state where the default address was located.

BTW, I think companies incorporate based on taxes and factors other than local sales tax.

When I said "sales tax area", I meant the city, county, and state where the default address was located.

BTW, I think companies incorporate based on taxes and factors other than local sales tax.

agreed. In your case I think the rate is very good.

Delaware is a no sales tax state.

Delaware is a no sales tax state.

True, and no local municipality taxes either as far as I can tell.

None of the mail services I looked at had addresses in Delaware though.

I think it'd be a real competitive edge if they did.

I have a mailbox service in Las Vegas, Nevada. When mail comes in, they send you an email and you get a listing of what is in your box, sender and what size of letter it is. They forward the mail to Thailand whenever you choose to do so. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get from Vegas to Pattaya. The scanning is an option, but they will open the envelope to scan it, so you may not want them to see your confidential information.

A word of warning is that anything containing what feels like a credit card will beome "lost" in the Thai mail system. Better to use a courier service for that, i.e. DHL, but that is expensive.

maillinkplus.com

• Upvote 3

I have a mailbox service in Las Vegas, Nevada. When mail comes in, they send you an email and you get a listing of what is in your box, sender and what size of letter it is. They forward the mail to Thailand whenever you choose to do so. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get from Vegas to Pattaya. The scanning is an option, but they will open the envelope to scan it, so you may not want them to see your confidential information.

A word of warning is that anything containing what feels like a credit card will beome "lost" in the Thai mail system. Better to use a courier service for that, i.e. DHL, but that is expensive.

maillinkplus.com

I'm staying away from Vegas because of their higher sales tax rate.

At first I was leaning towards Nevada because I mistakenly thought they had zero sales tax, but it's actually rather high.

What happens when you file your taxes? I always thought it would be smart to establish residency in a state with no income taxes, such as Texas. Then, if you were to file your federal return using a Texas address, no state would be after you to file a state return. Anyway, having a residence in one state and a mailing address in another might be problematic, at times.

Google "St Brendan Isle mail forwarding". I don't need their service yet but when and if I do they would be my first choice. They are based out of Florida and work alot with full time RV people, yachtsman, merchant mariners etc.

They also have the physical address you want and can use them as your state domicile.

For me, I have decided the best option from all the sites mentioned here is travelingmailbox.com.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to ask what the best way to get mail from the United states, in my case California, would be. I'm planning on being in Thailand for an extended amount of time(6 months to a year) and it would be nice to receive mail. Thanks for the heads up.

• 5 months later...

For me, I have decided the best option from all the sites mentioned here is travelingmailbox.com.

How does this seem to be working out ? I maintain a residence in Illinois but am considering giving it up. I'm here 8 months a year but Illinois is still banging me for taxes; Florida or Texas is on the horizon.

How does this seem to be working out ? I maintain a residence in Illinois but am considering giving it up. I'm here 8 months a year but Illinois is still banging me for taxes; Florida or Texas is on the horizon.

It's working great.

I get an email when any mail arrives, I can view the envelope, and if I want to see the contents, I can get it scanned within a few hours.

I had them forward some mail to me after viewing it, since I needed to fill out some forms, and that worked perfectly.