Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 126 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Purchasing Tickets via Booking Companies- Expedia

My recent last flight out of Thailand, I left booking it a little late.

I usually book directly with the airline, but big prices were coming in for a Biz Class flight to the UK

So I used Skyscanner......which I was quite impressed with.

I found a flight I was interested in and the Skyscanner linked to me to Expedia Thailand and I made the booking.

My recommendations is to use Skyscanner and then try to duplicate the fare directly with the airline website, but in my case Expedia seemed to be able to offer a better price, so I booked and it was a smooth process, although now being on Expedia's mailing list for emails was rather tiresome.

I am sure if you have no problems and no need to change the booking everything will be fine... and my outward flight went OK. But sadly while in the UK I had a need to change my return date, but could not really nail down when I would be returning. The rescheduling of the booking would cost 4000 baht (a ticket condition of the carrier), and since I could not really nail a date down there was a possibility I would need to do this again, I thought this a waste of money. I was impetuous and felt my reasons for rescheduling or even cancelling were sufficient (death in the family) to enable me to cancel and get a refund, so that is what I did. The event changing my travel plans occurred just 3 days before I was due to fly, and I did not want to be classed as a 'no-show'

I can only say now if you think there is a slight possibility you need to cancel a return leg, beware of booking via Expedia.

In my attempts to cancel and get a refund I have spent multiple hours on the phone, many emails have been sent and I have had to deal with such stupidity and blocking methods I could likely become murderous.

If I call Expedia UK, they say I can only deal with Expedia Thailand.

Calling either connects you to a call centre in India.

Each call you have to re-explain everything again.

Each email will generate a response saying please call us, and give you a number that is wrong.

I have spent hours on the phone, one call of a mind numbing 65 minutes, 30 of which I was left on hold.

They keep calling my Thai number, despite being told I am in UK and my supplying a UK number.

I sincerely believe they wish to mess me around until I give up, which I may well do, the refund is supposed to be 42,000 baht, but as of 17 Sept, no sign of it.

Should have taken insurance!

Edited by jacko

My recent last flight out of Thailand, I left booking it a little late.

I usually book directly with the airline, but big prices were coming in for a Biz Class flight to the UK

So I used Skyscanner......which I was quite impressed with.

I found a flight I was interested in and the Skyscanner linked to me to Expedia Thailand and I made the booking.

My recommendations is to use Skyscanner and then try to duplicate the fare directly with the airline website, but in my case Expedia seemed to be able to offer a better price, so I booked and it was a smooth process, although now being on Expedia's mailing list for emails was rather tiresome.

I am sure if you have no problems and no need to change the booking everything will be fine... and my outward flight went OK. But sadly while in the UK I had a need to change my return date, but could not really nail down when I would be returning. The rescheduling of the booking would cost 4000 baht (a ticket condition of the carrier), and since I could not really nail a date down there was a possibility I would need to do this again, I thought this a waste of money. I was impetuous and felt my reasons for rescheduling or even cancelling were sufficient to enable me to cancel and get a refund, so that is what I did. The event changing my travel plans occurred just 3 days before I was due to fly, and I did not want to be classed as a 'no-show'

I can only say now if you think there is a slight possibility you need to cancel a return leg, beware of booking via Expedia.

In my attempts to cancel and get a refund I have spent multiple hours on the phone, many emails have been sent and I have had to deal with such stupidity and blocking methods I could likely become murderous.

If I call Expedia UK, they say I can only deal with Expedia Thailand.

Calling either connects you to a call centre in India.

Each call you have to re-explain everything again.

Each email will generate a response saying please call us, and give you a number that is wrong.

I have spent hours on the phone, one call of a mind numbing 65 minutes, 30 of which I was left on hold.

They keep calling my Thai number, despite being told I am in UK and my supplying a UK number.

I sincerely believe they wish to mess me around until I give up, which I may well do, the refund is likely under 30,000 baht after deductions.

Should have taken insurance!

OK I feel your pain, but as someone who has sold Bucket shop tickets heres your problem.

Skyscanner and a most of the 'Screen scrapers' look for the cheapest possible fares.

Those cheap fares are nearly always Non-Changeable, Non-Refundable. You pays your money and you take your chances.

Thats how a lot of the fares are cheap. Most usually if you want an 'Open' return or a ticket where one or both of the legs is changeable the price is higher.

Skyscanner will always go for the cheapest fares around unless you tell it otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Normally I book direct with the airlines, but for the trip to my Brother-in-Laws funeral netflights.com was coming up as the cheapest option for Qatar, so I booked on-line with them...... this was for a flight that was going 32 hours after I clicked "confirm" on the website...... It took 8.5 hours before I received confirmation of the booking with a PNR. It turned out to be a different PNR to the one that Qatar had for the booking. A phone call to Qatar Customer services desk was required so I could print out the documents,... luckily the CS rep was very helpful in assisting with my enquiry and stayed on the line until I confirmed that I had received the email.

It's not the first time where I've booked on-line through an agent and the had to chase up afterwards for PNR/eTicket numbers.

• Upvote 1

Well I just booked directly on the Emirates site.... and they tore me a new one! :D

I just recalled that the last time i had used Expedia was for a simple hop to the IOM, and when I arrived with a small check in bag the airline (Fly Maybe), ripped me for the small case. I could have hand carried it, but then security would take my shaving foam and want to go through it all. I never learn.

Edited by jacko

Usually, I use the third party booking sites to scan for fares, but somehow I always just book directly with the airline. It's easier to deal with any problems that way. I'll use the travel sites to book hotel rooms, but in those cases there's not so much that can go wrong. Even then, I've had problems.

The best idea it to use something like Skyscanner to find the cheapest 3 or 4 prices, Skyscanner will then take you to their site. Give them a ring and ask for the price of an open return or a changeable dated ticket. Price is usually 10% higher.

• 2 weeks later...

I did actually get a call from Expedia saying I would get a refund in 10-12 weeks!

But until I see the money ... we shall have to see.

Thinking about it the UK taxes on an Ex-UK Biz Class flight are probably quite a lot, and since I did not take the flight they should be refunded.... I have already paid some more taxes on a booking and flight taken later.

I too feel your pain Jacko but in the interests of balance here is my Expedia story.

I have booked both fares and hotels.There was no changes in the air fares but I did changes with the hotel bookings. I found them fine to deal with and I was dealing with India as well. I also was on their list to occasionally get special hotel discounts and used a voucher to stay at a top class Pattaya hotel for the price of a low class one. All in all a good deal. One other comment. If they have a local service and local number, use it. Ringing at night for instance could get you sent anywhere in the world but ringing in your local business hours might get you one on one with a local operator.

• Upvote 1

I too feel your pain Jacko but in the interests of balance here is my Expedia story.

I have booked both fares and hotels.There was no changes in the air fares but I did changes with the hotel bookings. I found them fine to deal with and I was dealing with India as well. I also was on their list to occasionally get special hotel discounts and used a voucher to stay at a top class Pattaya hotel for the price of a low class one. All in all a good deal. One other comment. If they have a local service and local number, use it. Ringing at night for instance could get you sent anywhere in the world but ringing in your local business hours might get you one on one with a local operator.

Well most of the time I was calling from the UK and needing to talk to Thailand. I also think that likely I would get better English understanding from India. Perhaps Expedia will come through yet, it is just that you do get screwed around from pillar to post and a sense of being fobbed off.

Got a flight booked for January and I knew when I booked it that it's a "use it or lose it ticket" may be able to get some tax back but that's it if I can't make the flight.its cheap.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Forget skyscanner and use https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can then go to the airline, or phone them, to get on the exact planes you need and crucially, in the right class of ticket.

Look also for cashback, https://www.topcashback.co.uk/homeor to a lesser extent http://quidco.com/

Use apps - Etihad has 10% off for using their app. Use an Amex discount( AMXROW) , or search the UAE voucher code websitehttp://www.vouchercodesuae.com/

Alternatively

http://www.etihad.com/en-ae/promotions/vouchercodesuae/?CJPID=5474140

http://www.flynous.com/etihad-airways-promotion-code-great-discount-all-flights/

http://www.vouchercodesuae.com/etihad.com?c=968604

http://www.flynous.com/etihad-airways-promotion-code-great-discount-all-flights/

http://www.flynous.com/qatar-airways-promotion-code-great-discount/

Forget skyscanner and use https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can then go to the airline, or phone them, to get on the exact planes you need and crucially, in the right class of ticket.

Look also for cashback, https://www.topcashback.co.uk/homeor to a lesser extent http://quidco.com/

I used quidco for a while and to put it bluntly was not impressed...... the last time I used them the cashback was a grand total of £5.62 on a spend of £1183 with Emirates..... they made the cashback worse by only paying out on the airfare, not airfare + taxes.

Also used quidco for a while when booking airport parking, but didn't take long to suss out that you could get much cheaper quotes via other means, even after the quidco cashback.

• Upvote 1

I used quidco for a while and to put it bluntly was not impressed...... the last time I used them the cashback was a grand total of £5.62 on a spend of £1183 with Emirates..... they made the cashback worse by only paying out on the airfare, not airfare + taxes.

Also used quidco for a while when booking airport parking, but didn't take long to suss out that you could get much cheaper quotes via other means, even after the quidco cashback.

Agreed. TopCashBack is miles better but if you get a few quid back then why not, however the route.

Other sites tend to be offering "IT" or special fares with no flexibility and certainly not the flexibility the airline offers. You also have to speak to the intermediary to sort out changes and not the airline.

Dealing with intermediaries is a pain as I am finding out. The airline and the intermediary point at each other and it is hard to make progress.

I have been told I am entitled to a refund, but it will take 8-12 weeks. I responded with oh, you mean up to 1/4 year! When the clock started on that countdown I am unsure too. Expedia inform me it is 'carrier policy'......

Agreed. TopCashBack is miles better but if you get a few quid back then why not, however the route.

Other sites tend to be offering "IT" or special fares with no flexibility and certainly not the flexibility the airline offers. You also have to speak to the intermediary to sort out changes and not the airline.

Booked via cashback link on my bank account Qatar Airways was 8% (£60 max) ... Quidco - up to 3% and Topcashback - 1.85%..

And my bank paid the cashback within a month of the booking compared to than waiting for months!!!

Booked via cashback link on my bank account Qatar Airways was 8% (£60 max) ... Quidco - up to 3% and Topcashback - 1.85%..

And my bank paid the cashback within a month of the booking compared to than waiting for months!!!

OK, I'll bite. What is the bank that gives 8% back please?

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

I have a scheme that has worked for some years now. I deal with a company that advertises best price guaranteed. I scan the internet and when I find the deal, flight and conditions that suit me I copy and paste to the agent. I recently booked at a great price some $200 lower than their best price! Not only did they get that deal for me but I also got a dollar off (best price guarantee) and a voucher for $20 for my next flight. I really cannot think how I can better this deal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

OK, I'll bite. What is the bank that gives 8% back please?

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

It was a cashback "offer" on my Lloyds Current account.... at the same time they were offering 5% cashback for a booking with Emirates. All it needed, after opting in, was to book using my Llouyds debit or credit card.

It was a cashback "offer" on my Lloyds Current account.... at the same time they were offering 5% cashback for a booking with Emirates. All it needed, after opting in, was to book using my Llouyds debit or credit card.

Isn't that the bank that just made £2.5000,000,000 profit and then announced it will lay off 9000 staff and close 200 branches?

Isn't that the bank that just made £2.5000,000,000 profit and then announced it will lay off 9000 staff and close 200 branches?

On-line banking is one of the reasons banks are closing down branches - Long gone are the days everybody did their banking at their local branch....

On-line banking is one of the reasons banks are closing down branches - Long gone are the days everybody did their banking at their local branch....

Its the reason many small towns are now little more than Ghost towns, Online shopping and huge out of Town supermarkets

Its the reason many small towns are now little more than Ghost towns, Online shopping and huge out of Town supermarkets

Hardly. If no-one uses the banks then why would closing the banks stop people coming to town ?

The lack of free parking (ours just went up to £1.20 an hour) is the big killer and the lack of an anchor tenant to keep people coming in and then using the ancillary shops.

Hardly. If no-one uses the banks then why would closing the banks stop people coming to town ?

The lack of free parking (ours just went up to £1.20 an hour) is the big killer and the lack of an anchor tenant to keep people coming in and then using the ancillary shops.

My UK town centre was busy as anything yesterday. The buses offer cheap special prices in and out. Pity most of them were foreigners who appeared to be mooching.

My UK town centre was busy as anything yesterday. The buses offer cheap special prices in and out. Pity most of them were foreigners who appeared to be mooching.

My retail stuff is largely in affluent market towns but despite most folk not really needing to care about parking charges, it is a pet hate and they simply drive their cars to elsewhere.

We largely don't have busses or at best one an hour for a few hours a day with none on a weekend in places.

It keeps the poor elsewhere :bhappy

My retail stuff is largely in affluent market towns but despite most folk not really needing to care about parking charges, it is a pet hate and they simply drive their cars to elsewhere.

We largely don't have busses or at best one an hour for a few hours a day with none on a weekend in places.

It keeps the poor elsewhere :bhappy

Seriously I went into the town centre yesterday, a trip of just over a mile, a quid return!

Pity it isn't really worth going, beggars dotted around who all look able bodied, the police don't seem to worry about them. Shops are mostly charity shops, gambling shops and Pound Shops! No police about, but plenty traffic wardens.

If it were not for a rather good Wetherspoons......

Edited by jacko