Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Tops... what is to become of it?

Funny this post was bumped. Tops and this location came to mind after I received an email from them.

(I used to order goods off the internet with them and they delivered to the house in a van, usually drinks and heavy stuff. The booze vanished off the website so I stopped using them.) Just wondered whether this large empty building was still that, while it was so packed busy outside.... someone go take a look!

Edited by jacko

I passed through there a couple of nights ago and it was still empty.

The lights were on in the downstairs large room as if something was being prepped for a start up.

The Indian restaurant that was downstairs has in fact moved to the next floor at the top of the escalator.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

A few stalls have accumulated over the last 2-weeks, clothes, shoes, phones, trinkets, even Real Estate and a soup kitchen down at the bottom...maybe they have heard a rumour.

But the large tops supermarket area still has nothing in there.

Until they put something big in there they are all doomed due to lack of foot traffic.

20170223_193919 (Small).jpg

20170223_193954 (Small).jpg

Yes I strolled through there about 2 weeks ago and it was empty bar a few stalls.

Seems such a waste.

I hate to see things like that happen but is the property owner making more money because of the change?

I don't know. Some time ago that whole block, including the hotel next door, now called the Basaya, was earmarked for another Mall. Not sure what happened to that plan, but there surely are enough places to shop in town these days and more in the pipeline.

As an aside, anyone remember the old name of that hotel? I forget. I do recall it is where the coaches from Bangkok used to terminate before the days of the North Rd Rung Ruen bus station.

Now that was convenient, as I would stroll round to PK Hotel, (or was it PC) I think it as called on Beach Rd, and be unpacked and in a beer bar in no time.

Edited by jacko

I don't know. Some time ago that whole block, including the hotel next door, now called the Basaya, was earmarked for another Mall. Not sure what happened to that plan, but there surely are enough places to shop in town these days and more in the pipeline.

As an aside, anyone remember the old name of that hotel? I forget. I do recall it is where the coaches from Bangkok used to terminate before the days of the North Rd Rung Ruen bus station.

Now that was convenient, as I would stroll round to PK Hotel, I think it as called on Beach Rd, and be unpacked and in a beer bar in no time.

I was speaking specifically about the bar/7-11 switch but one thing I have noticed over the years from comments here and meeting bar owners and other ex-pats over there, there are often business decisions made that don't make the kind of sense we have come to expect in the USA or other western countries.

Here, a lot of thought and number crunching goes on before destroying a business that is successful and replacing it with another. Things are pretty sophisticated in that regard here. That makes it more likely that the replacement will be more successful than the original business.

An this is just one instance over there. I am sure there are many other head scratching examples. Which kind of goes back to what I asked before. As a business man you think you would always strive to do better not worse. It would seem that with the Tops property it was not well thought out.

Certainly replacing a large business with many smaller businesses and kiosks could lead to lots more rental income but in this case I do not see that from the photographs.

I would think the property owner is hemorrhaging THB. His electricity bill must be greater for one thing.

We have all you can eat Asian places here. They may look a little nicer but it looks to be the same business model.

Is there a good supermarket close by besides that?

Isn't there one on Central Pattaya? Tops was/is on South Pattaya I believe.

I was just making a list today of things to not bring and just pickup in a market, including wine.

I think the nearest supermarket to the old Tops is the market in the basement of Central Festival. But Foodland might be a tiny hair closer.