Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Oishi Japanese Buffet at The Avenue Mall

Evil,

Thanks for the pictures and review of my favorite Pattaya restaurant - the Oishi Buffet.

During my time in Pattaya, we dine weekly for the unlimited quantity of salmon and other sashimi, the limited sushi options, but more importantly the diversity of other foods not available in other Japanese style restaurants. At Oishi Restaurant in addition to the section of Japanese foods, there are also sections of Chinese Dim Sum, Korean BBQ foods and other cook to order Asian foods.

Yes, the desserts are 'western,' but very tasty even for the Asians tastes - banoffee, cakes, ice cream, jello and raspberry pana cotta (not all available every day). Drinks include hot coffee, hot tea and soft drinks.

Yes, Oishi Restaurant is a little more expensive than other local buffets. We have also noticed most diners appear to be Thai 'white collar' salaried workers and therefore the restaurant is especially busy at the beginning of each month. Yes, few foreigners patronize this restaurant and most of my local farang friends don't revisit, but we are not deterred :). We seem to enjoy a 'fusion' of foods and the combination available at Oishi fit us well.

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 2

At Oishi Restaurant in addition to the section of Japanese foods, there are also sections of Chinese Dim Sum, Korean BBQ foods and other cook to order Asian foods.

Yes, that was something I missed in the review: Oishi has two open "kitchens" where food is cooked is cooked to order.

IMG_6272.jpg

You can order tempura, for example. I'm normally happy to fill up on sushi and sashimi, as well as the soups, small warm dishes and a dim sum bun or two, so I haven't paid too much attention to the cook-to-order option.

The dim sum corner:

IMG_6258.jpg

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

Oh Evil... ya missed much by not going to those stations at the end... (and I was also going to say the same for the two cook to order stations, but you added that... although you don't do it justice... ;)...

I generally give the prepared foods a miss (including the dim sum)... and head to the cook to order stations... They are one of the high points of the place... At the first station, you pick your items and they stir fry it... At the second station, it is more of a grill setup... Pick your meats, or skewers, or fish and they grill it... They also have additional set items at those stations...

It should be noted your table has little clothes pins with numbers on them... You tag your plate with your number at the grill, and they return the cooked item to your table... In the case of a set item... you deposit your number into a corresponding bowl...

In the last station...

There are cold soba noodles, and

also a (sort of) Japanese hot pot setup... where you select the items, and they add the broth and bring it to your table with a candle to keep it warm...

... there is one more item, but I am drawing a blank at the moment...

Desserts are located in 3 places...

There is an open display case (near the soup) with little parfaits... (the last pic)

On the counter near the end, opposite the station on the end are cakes (you 2nd from the end pic, where the little girl is helping herself to cake)

On the 2nd from the end station, are fruits/salads...

When I was last there (about a month ago)... They also had a station across from the soups (against the seating area) where a guy would make to order sushi cones (and something else)... Not sure if it is still there...

Lastly Drinks: sake & beer are available for purchase (over and above the set cost).. Included with the price are soft drinks, tea, coffee...

Over all, I agree with the assessment... it is ok, but falls short of the mark for being exceptional...

In contrast, Singapore is littered with EXCEPTIONAL Japanese buffets of this style...

• Upvote 2

Thanks for another great report Evil. I have had Oishi buffet a couple of times and personally prefer going to Fuji. More expensive but IHMO better quality

Thanks for another great report Evil. I have had Oishi buffet a couple of times and personally prefer going to Fuji. More expensive but IHMO better quality

Is Fuji an all you can eat buffet?

Is Fuji an all you can eat buffet?

No, it's not. You order dishes from the menu.

ShabuShi, which is an all-you-can-eat buffet that also belongs to the Oishi group, is located in Central Festival. It's a hot-pot style arrangement where you grab the ingredients off a conveyor belt, but it also has sushi and other dishes for a very reasonable 375 baht.

Both Fuji and ShabuShi are often rammed with customers. That's one advantage of Oishi at The Avenue, it gets busy but I've never seen it full.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • 1 year later...

My new year meal was all you can eat sushi/sashimi. Oishi is more than just sushi. Have a look around. I've gone with a few TG and they were ordering up flaming soups that the staff prepared at our table, All included.

attachicon.gifImage00014.JPG

Thanks, will do.

• 2 weeks later...