Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

In August 2015 I went to Manilla for a visit and spend some time with a DIA lady I had been chatting with for a while, I had been to Manilla with her a couple of years previously. She works as a maid in Singapore and was going home for a couple of weeks so I thought why not join her for a week of GFE.

I flew Jetstar, the discount arm of Qantas, and being a Cheap Charlie I opted for the hand held baggage only, as I don't need to take much for a week and it can all fit into a day pack that qualifies as cabin luggage. The flight times were almost human with departure from Perth after 8am followed by a couple of hours in Singapore and arrival at Manilla at 8:30pm.

Not having any luggage to worry about meant clearing customs and immigration was simple. Next to find the GFE. Well that was easier said than done as I did not exit through the tunnel I was supposed to and it took a while to find her. During this time a “limo” driver smelling fresh meat attached himself to me and “helped”. After a couple of texts I found her and an entourage. After saying hello we agreed to take the “limo” to the hotel, the entourage wanted to be dropped off on the way so they could go home. So into the traffic of Manilla.

We made it to the Oasis Paco Park Hotel in one piece having dropped the entourage off along the way. It seems that dropping the entourage off merited a change in the negotiated over-inflated price of the “limo”. After 13 hours travelling I could not be bothered arguing, tried to pay the driver but he did not have change. Wanker. Had to get the hotel reception to break a note so I could pay him, made sure they got small money so there would be no need for him to make change or get a further tip. I had booked a superior room through Agoda, no problems with the check-in.

The room was large and clean, the bed was big enough to have its own postcode. I'm used to to large beds in Thailand, but this one was large enough for a party and was also comfortable to sleep in.

Manila201565.jpg

The rooms have been refurbished in the last couple of years, when I stayed there a couple of years ago I was given one of the first rooms to get the treatment and it was great. They have spent the time and money on the rest of the rooms, so they are good in spite of the outer visage of the hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. My room was on the second floor, the only challenge there for the faint of heart is the two sets of wooden stairs, including a quaint circular stair case to get there. Free workout. There is free WIFI in the public areas of the hotel and some rooms, but it was a bit slow in my room.

So after a getting reacquainted session with the GFE it was off to the local 7/11 to get a new SIM card for data. Asked the 7/11 staff which was the best company and “deal” for data, as they were all under 25. Took a couple of goes to explain that calls and text held no interest for me then they all agreed on one of the multiple options.

After inserting the new SIM card my phone decided to stop playing the game of being a phone and WIFI hotspot and started to imitate an inert piece of plastic. Well that set the agenda for the following day, it would be off to the local mall to find a technology guru to see if they could revive it.

After a breakfast at a local establishment it was off to Robinsons Place Mall.

Manila201501.jpg

Manila201502.jpg

Manila201503.jpg

Manila201505.jpg

Manila2015151.jpg

One reason there are Pinoys all over working. This was on the outer wall of the University next to the food joints.

Manila201510.jpg

t was about now the GFE remembered I like to walk places as I like to see the neighbourhood and find interesting nooks and crannies, this walking thing is not popular with any lady of Asian extraction as far as I can ascertain. I also needed to find a place that made drinkable coffee. It is worrying that the best coffee in the area I could find was Starbucks.

To Robinsons Place Mall. Only to discover that it does not open till 10.00am so we waited with the hoi-ploy on the steps at the entrance for the place to open.

After consulting with a couple of the local tech gurus at the mall who wanted to charge silly money, (must have been my smiling white face) and would not guarantee success, let alone restoration of all the apps and data I had on board. I decided to do it myself with a little help from the internet. Fortunately I had backed-up all my contacts before my trip, so I would be able restore them on my return home.

Following a bit of research I worked out out how to restore to factory settings just as the guru offered, it meant I would lose all apps including banking and other ones I use regularly and the version of Android would need updating but I would, and did, end up with an operating phone. Ah first world problems in a developing country.

Phone sorted it was out to dinner. The GFE wanted to go to Mall of Asia. So a taxi there, not too far. The place is huge with all the usual stores just more of them, cinemas, and literally hundreds of eating places. After a a wander through the place we decided on a place that looked Filipino not rubber stamped chain restaurant. Well it must have been as the menu had no English option and the wait staff decided not to speak English when I asked about the food. I ordered catfish and some BBQ chicken the GFE had some noodles. The fish had seen better days and made a solid thud noise when I tapped it with a fork, I ate most of it any way and was to see the folly of my way later. The rest of the meal was ok. It took a lot of effort to get the attention of the staff to pay the bill, no tip for poor service.

Manila201506.jpg

Manila201507.jpg

Manila201509.jpg

The following day we were off to meet the GFE's mother and older sister at Rizal Park. I was not feeling the best as the catfish from the previous evening was making itself known.

Rizal Park seemed a little strange place to meet them as mother is getting on and she has trouble walking any distance, but apparently it was easy for them to get there by Jeepney from where they lived. It is a large park with a huge flag pole and nationalistic statues to inspire the locals. The park is surrounded by museums and gardens, these were not the purpose of the visit. Most of the gardens were closed due to the impending storms that were the harbinger of Typhoon Ineng.

Manila201511.jpg

Manila201512.jpg

Manila201513.jpg

Manila201514.jpg

After the obligatory selfies it was decided that we would go to Chinatown for lunch. This required finding a taxi willing to go to the desired destination, not as simple as one would think. It took over 20 taxis to find one prepared to accept the fare.

Manila201515.jpg

Manila201516.jpg

Like Chinatowns across the world this one was a mixture of businesses with food places dotted throughout the area. A place was selected and I bought lunch for all. Again mother's limited mobility proves a challenge so progress is slow.

The main topic for discussion is the planned trip to Infanta, the home district for the family on Friday which is on the east coast of Luzon Island. This will involve a 4 or 5 hour drive each way. The plan is to leave early on Friday so we can visit mother's sister and some other members of the family, stay overnight and return on Saturday. A Jeepney and driver who is from that area has been located and a price negotiated. My suggestion that we hire a car and I could drive was dismissed as not practical due to the unique characteristics of driving in the Philippines. I suppose having over a million kilometres experience in 4 countries was not relevant. So the Jeepney is booked.

We strolled through the Chinatown area till mother and sister decided it was time to head home. The next challenge was to find a taxi to get back to the hotel, again driving through Manila traffic is not a popular option for the taxi drivers, the use of meters seems to be an option in spite of the regulations.

Manila201517.jpg

Manila201518.jpg

Manila201519.jpg

Manila201521.jpg

Manila201522.jpg

Manila201523.jpg

The following day I decided to investigate Paco Park which is across the road from the hotel, it seems it holds a place in the history of the country, being the final resting place for one of the heroes of the independence movement, Dr José Rizal, following his detention and subsequent execution at Fort Santiago.

Manila201525.jpg

Manila201526.jpg

Manila201527.jpg

Manila201528.jpg

Manila201529.jpg

Manila201530.jpg

Manila201532.jpg

Manila201533.jpg

Manila201535.jpg

Manila201537.jpg

• Upvote 3

Continued

Paco Park was followed by a trip to Fort Santiago. This excursion was inspired by a trip report by Firth1974. (My photos are not up to his.) Another place worth a visit, it takes a couple of hours to have a good look around. The larger area with the cathedral and other historic buildings is interesting to investigate, we left in a hurry as there was another storm coming.

Wikipedia describes the place thus; Fort Santiago (Spanish: Fuerte de Santiago; Filipino: Moóg ng Santiago) is a citadel first built by Spanish conquistador, Miguel López de Legazpi for the new established city of Manila in the Philippines. The defense fortress is part of the structures of the walled city of Manila referred to as Intramuros.

The fort is one of the most important historical sites in Manila. Several lives were lost in its prisons during the Spanish Colonial Periodand World War II. José Rizal, the Philippine national hero, was imprisoned here before his execution in 1896. The Rizal Shrine museum displays memorabilia of the hero in their collection and the fort features, embedded onto the ground in bronze, his footsteps representing his final walk from his cell to the location of the actual execution.

It is only a few meters away from the Manila Cathedral and the Palacio del Gobernador (lit. Governor's Palace, currently the office of the Commission on Elections).

For some reason all the trees were numbered. Not sure why, stocktake? Larcenous locals?

Manila201552.jpg

Manila201553.jpg

Manila201554.jpg

Manila201555.jpg

Manila201556.jpg

Who remebers playing on tis type of gear? Outlawed in most parts of PC world.

Manila201557.jpg

Manila201558.jpg

Manila201559.jpg

Manila201560.jpg

Manila201561.jpg

The weather dictated a lot of what we did in the next few days, not much going out except to the malls for food. There were a couple of impressive storms that discouraged doing much. We met up with the GFE's daughter and her tom a couple of times, these folk were the entourage from the airport I was not introduced to at the time (still not sure of their names). As they had travelled from some distant part of the the metro area they were hungry when we met them, so I had to feed them. Being a dutiful daughter she took mum's dirty laundry to wash, my laundry was still in my bag.

​During one visit to Mall of Asia we had to go this with daughter and partner.

Manila201581.jpg

I had planned to book out of the Oasis Paco Park Hotel so we could go to Infanta. As the typhoon was imminent and they were expecting it to cause some major problems on the east coast of Luzon the trip was deferred. Unfortunately Oasis was fully booked at this time so no extending the stay there. As a result a new hotel was needed in Manila, so I booked Pearl Manila Hotel which was just down the road.

The Pearl Manila Hotel is listed as a 3 star hotel. It might have been when it was built in the 70's but the current reality is that it is somewhat tired. I was less than impressed when the rail in the wardrobe collapsed when I tried to hang up a shirt, then the remote for the 18” TV did not work (the limit of the technical assistance was new batteries) and keeping with the trend the WiFi was patchy when it did connect. My impression of the place was not improved when the folk digging up the road for new drainage started work at 7am and worked through till after dark, in spite of being on the 6th floor they sounded like they were using heavy machinery just outside the room.

Manila201566.jpg

Manila2015152.jpg

With the change of plans new plans needed to be made. So new adventures to plan. I asked for suggestions and reminded that my companion had lived in Singapore for more than 20 years. So after a bit of looking around I decided we would go to Manila Ocean Park . It is on the bay just near Rizal Park. It is worth checking the website for discount admission offers, that said we went to the general admission and bought a package. There were very few people in that line as opposed to those redeeming their packages booked online. There are a series of attractions and you can select which ones you get to see by selecting the appropriate package, we avoided some that were aimed at young kids but still managed 8 or 10 areas in our tour of the facility. It took a couple of hours which included grazing time as we wondered around the place. It is a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

Getting there involved another walk through Rizal Park

Manila201573.jpg

Manila201572.jpg

Manila201575.jpg

Manila201576.jpg

Leave some pipes around and kids will be kids.

Manila201578.jpg

Manila201579.jpg

The following day I chose to go to the zoo. Manila Zoo is of the older style zoo with cages for the animals, it seems popular with the locals, and has dual pricing on entrance, one price for Manillians and another price for the rest of the world.

Manila201585.jpg

Kites enclosed in such a small cage. :(

Manila201586.jpg

Manila201587.jpg

Manila201588.jpg

Not sure I would be so brave as to row in that lot.

Manila201589.jpg

This one decided he had enough of the cage and was annoying his family from the safety of the roof

Manila201590.jpg

Manila201591.jpg

Manila201592.jpg

The walk back to the hotel revealed some interesting places

When it rains in Manilla it rains and floods, the warnings on the power poles say it all.

Manila201584.jpg

Manila201593.jpg

Some things you don't expect.

Manila201594.jpg

Manila201595.jpg

Manila201596.jpg

Manila201598.jpg

Edited by Chang_paarp
  • Upvote 3

Part 3

With the passing of the typhoon it was decided we could finally go to Infanta, so plans were made for a single day return trip. We had to leave the hotel at stupid o'clock (about 3am) and catch a cab to meet the family and Jeepney crew outside a Jollibee at 4 or 5am. So we are off!

Into the darkness we plunge. Through the outer suburbs of Manila and into the countryside the jeepney roars. After an hour or so we stop for breakfast and then into the dawn, up into the mountains and through some very winding and narrow roads.

Manila2015101.jpg

Manila2015102.jpg

Manila2015103.jpg

Manila2015104.jpg

Manila2015105.jpg

About 11 we arrived in Infanta and collected our tour guide in the form of GFE's brother. Our first stop was the resort he used work at with the odd name of Club Manila East Pacific. From their beach front lookout we could look at the bay Infanta is located on.

Manila2015133.jpg

Manila2015106.jpg

Then off to a private picnic park located on a stream, most of the huts were damaged by the storm. (Didn't stop the owners from charging an entrance fee.) The huts could also have done with a clean up of all the food scraps scattered through out the huts. The place could be nice after it was cleaned up.

Manila2015108.jpg

Next it was off to the bay where we could admire an island. It was then decided I would like to visit the island and look at the resort there, so a fishing boat was summonsed to take us there.

Manila2015109.jpg

Manila2015110.jpg

Manila2015114.jpg

Manila2015115.jpg

On arrival at the island we waded from the boat up the beach to behold the resort in all it's glory. It seemed to have survived the recent storm with minimal new damage. About this time the GFE's brother tried to sell me a share in said resort.

Manila2015116.jpg

Manila2015117.jpg

Manila2015118.jpg

Manila2015119.jpg

Manila2015120.jpg

Manila2015121.jpg

Manila2015122.jpg

Manila2015125.jpg

Manila2015126.jpg

Manila2015127.jpg

Having seen all that is worth seeing on the island we returned to the mainland, I paid the captain of the vessel for returning us to where we started. So off to lunch in the centre of town, and all of a sudden there were a gaggle of family and friends ordering food. The food was OK and the bill was not outrageous for about 12 or 14 people.

Manila2015129.jpg

Manila2015128.jpg

After lunch some of the family decided to join us for the afternoon's tour of the district. Next stop was the Princess Ness Resort, a study in concrete. It had also sustained some damage from the typhoon.

Manila2015132.jpg

Manila2015130.jpg

Manila2015131.jpg

Then to a waterfall and picnic area, this one was open to the public.

Manila2015137.jpg

Manila2015139.jpg

The nephew had been following us on his bike till this point and then his bike stopped, so he rings father who is with us in the jeepney, after some discussion it was decided to go back and see what the problem was. U-turns are not easy in one of these things, especially on the minor roads we were travelling on. Nephew and bike was located and bike inspected. The prognosis was not good, so they loaded the bike into the back of the jeepney and took it to someone to fix.

Manila2015142.jpg

Edited by Chang_paarp
  • Upvote 3

Great read Lance, that must of taken some time to write out!

Your inspiring me to do another Trip Report for my trip to Japan in September, that's of anyone wants to read it!

Interesting and enjoyable. Maybe a trip to Corregidor Island is an idea for next time, it's not exactly cheap but it is a day away from Manila , food provided and you get driven around the island by a decent driver in safety.

I understand also the problems with feeding everyone, to be honest I put a stop to that a long time ago and told my mrs enough is enough. I don't mind feeding immediate family but when cousins, friends and in laws turn up they can feed themselves. You certainly covered a lot of ground in a short space of time though. Good report and fun to read.

Interesting and enjoyable. Maybe a trip to Corregidor Island is an idea for next time, it's not exactly cheap but it is a day away from Manila , food provided and you get driven around the island by a decent driver in safety.

I understand also the problems with feeding everyone, to be honest I put a stop to that a long time ago and told my mrs enough is enough. I don't mind feeding immediate family but when cousins, friends and in laws turn up they can feed themselves. You certainly covered a lot of ground in a short space of time though. Good report and fun to read.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the weather is like in Manila beginning of November?

Outings with Filipinos can be "interesting". I remember an organisd trip for staff of the MMDA to a beach resort south of ManiLa, huge coach load of people, overnight at the resort with dinner and return the next day. Well we get there after a long trip and NO VACANCIES. No one had bothered to make a booking......just turned up with 40 people at the weekend expecting to get in.

All the other resorts were full most slept in the little day cabins or on the beach sand. GF and I shared a cab to the nearest town and got the bus home. Lessn learned.

Good report, thanks.

Having been to the PI and knowing the history shared between the USA and the Philippines, the poverty bothers me and it makes me wonder why we chose to employ Chinese citizens while allowing our friend and ally to stay poor.

The answer of course is world stability. Billions of poor and angry Chinese are a bigger threat than millions of poor Filipinos on an isolated bunch of islands.

Luzon is right in the path of many typhoons too.

There is a special place in my heart for the PI and her people.

Thanks for the great trip report. I stayed close to where you did in Manila - across from the US Embassy. Your room was much nicer. I have been to the zoo. Did you make it to the aquarium? It is nicer than the zoo. I went to the zoo with a family that had a small child. Just like kids everywhere.

Having been to the PI and knowing the history shared between the USA and the Philippines, the poverty bothers me and it makes me wonder why we chose to employ Chinese citizens while allowing our friend and ally to stay poor.

The answer of course is world stability. Billions of poor and angry Chinese are a bigger threat than millions of poor Filipinos on an isolated bunch of islands.

Luzon is right in the path of many typhoons too.

There is a special place in my heart for the PI and her people.

Thanks for the great trip report. I stayed close to where you did in Manila - across from the US Embassy. Your room was much nicer. I have been to the zoo. Did you make it to the aquarium? It is nicer than the zoo. I went to the zoo with a family that had a small child. Just like kids everywhere.

Went to the Manilla Ocean Park which is on the harbour down from Rizal Park. It has an aquarium and other attractions, was a good way to spend an afternoon. I chose not to book online and got the same specials by going to the general admission section. It took less time to do than those who were collecting their online booked tickets.

Hi there and thanks for a great report.

Its a funny thing but the Philippines leave me with so many contradictory feelings. I have been doing home work in the last week or two regarding a visit in the next few months. The truth is that I keep on getting put off a visit and your report has as many negatives as positives and I am back to wondering if it is worth the effort. This in no way shows any disrespect to your excellent report. i am still fence sitting!

Hi Teelack, I made my first visit in March of this year and TBH i will be in no hurry to return. I had no problem with the people at all, they were all very friendly and welcoming, however they did feel that they had the rights to the contents of my wallet..lol, I would visit a local bar with lady I was staying with and discover at the end of the night that all her friends had been drinking at my expense, likewise in the restaurant or take away, everyone eats free when the westerners are in town. The infrastructure is way behind what I expected and was a real culture shock. I was happy that i had tagged on a 4 day stay in Bangkok before returning to the UK, a welcome return to the modern world..I am sure you will make the right choice.

• Upvote 1

Great report. Is it really that harsh that they all just order stuff and expect you to pay? Sounds very un-christian for a such religious country...

Anyhow, gotta try the philippines some day.

Not that different to going out with some Thai folk. The lunch cost less than 2000 peso so we are not talking huge amounts of money. I cost more to take the GFE, her daughter and partner to Art In Island, or that dodgy Ferris Wheel at Mall of Asia.

• 5 months later...

Yes as Midlifecrisis comments, there is an interesting history between the USA and the Philippines. They are a generally a well educated nation (at least for the middle classes) but they have this major problem with religion and the belief that everything uttered by members of the Catholic clergy is the truth and must be followed to the letter. Result, a massive population, which is increasing at an unsustainable rate far outstripping their resources be that to educate, feed, and employ only a fraction of that mass of peoples.

Possibly the US should have done more for them but the reality is the PI's is its own worst enemy and what with the massive and endemic corruption, general lawlessness particularly with the current president it really is the basket case of all of Asia. The rest of Asia is moving forward at a tremendous rate leaving the PI's way behind.