Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Olympic Moments

That time has come around again. The Olympics start on Saturday and I’m planning to settle in to watch some of the finest athletes in the world strut their stuff.

It is winter in Perth and outside it is cold and wet so I am happy to stay in. Each night I will cook a plate of comfort food and settle down to watch events that I would probably never watch. You know the ones I mean. Things like the gymnastics, synchronised swimming. beach volley ball, archery, track cycling and many others will appear on my TV and I’ll watch them because it he olympics.

Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the programmers who take all the feeds and decide what I want to see but perhaps this is part of the fun. I suddenly become an expert in so many sports that I have never seen before and in the privacy of my lounge room I can imagine myself competing in each event. I will admit that I am not too happy with the inclusion of main street sports like soccer being classed as an olympic event because my TV seems to have some type of soccer tournament on each week and there are so many other events that should get airplay at this time.

In Australia our media is obsessed with gold medals so we get coverage of sports that we do well in such as swimming, rugby or cricket. This often means we don’t see the table tennis, fencing or wrestling but we can hope for a few crosses during quiet times.

I looked up some events that we don’t see anymore, Jeu de Paume, Pankration and underwater swimming would all be interesting events. Who wouldn’t want to see the 200 meter swimming obstacle race and bring back the tug o war if you ask me.

Of course the strongest, fastest and highest sports will still rate a mention and I love watching as athletes compete in events that they have trained for 8 years to get to this point. There will be drama, there will be excitement and there will be disappointment. I jut hope that in the end the winners will be the sports themselves.

What more can we say?

Let the games begin.

• Upvote 2

One of the things that I think is wrong with the olympics is when the rich countries have to show there opulence to all the other countries.

Its like they are buying their medals.

A classic example involves the US Basketball teams. They are too good to stay in the athletes village but instead have chartered a luxury cruise liner for the team

We are not talking about a big powerboat but a ship with 196 rooms. It has its own pool and even a cigar lounge.

boat.jpg

The story has it that some team members have been sledging players from other countries.

Now I know that the US has the best team and they will get a medal just by turning up but I think this somehow spoils the spirit of the olympic games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There's always been cheating.......and cash involved in the Ancient games ......In the modern era pollution from the Seine in Paris........While In the first London Olympics events awash with drug enhanced athletes.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ancient-history-cheating-olympics-180960003/

But when you see the finest physics specimens on the planet parade in their national costumes and beaming smiles it gives you just a little hope we can come together.

A horrible crash on the last downhill portion of the women's road race today. The lady landed on he back and fractured her spine. Also a concussion.

Video:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Cyclist-Involved-in-Horrific-Crash-on-Womens-Road-Race-389420651.html

story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/sports/olympics/schedule-rio-summer-games-results-watch.html

Yesterday a French gymnast broke his tibia on the vault.

graphic video:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/gymnast-samir-ait-said-breaks-leg-vault-rio-olympics

update on cyclist:

3 small "cracks". In intensive care.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1569608/annemiek-van-vleuten-crash-dutch-cyclist-said-to-be-conscious-and-ok-after-horror-fall/

Edited by midlifecrisis

Bumping this thread.........Seems to be a lack of interest on the board compared even to the Super Bowl.

Phelps.......GOAT? 'Greatest of All Time' He's got more golds already than the UK has in it's Swimming History. Fantastic!

Two things from me: I'm forgoing my morning swim and gym because I'm watching events live from 'early doors'....The Olympics are making me fat!! (Fatter)

..And I've changed. Prior to this Olympics It's always been GB No.1, (still is) and Ireland,The Aussies,Kiwi's, Canada, if the UK's not involved.... and of course a soft-spot for Thailand. But now I'm increasingly favouring the US... I don't want China to get any more cocky.

Bumping this thread.........Seems to be a lack of interest on the board compared even to the Super Bowl.

Phelps.......GOAT? 'Greatest of All Time' He's got more golds already than the UK has in it's Swimming History. Fantastic!

Two things from me: I'm forgoing my morning swim and gym because I'm watching events live from 'early doors'....The Olympics are making me fat!! (Fatter)

..And I've changed. Prior to this Olympics It's always been GB No.1, (still is) and Ireland,The Aussies,Kiwi's, Canada, if the UK's not involved.... and of course a soft-spot for Thailand. But now I'm increasingly favouring the US... I don't want China to get any more cocky.

Thanks for the bump. I noticed that as well.

But please, if you are for the Americans you must favor them and not favour them.

;)

:chogdee2

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the bump. I noticed that as well.

But please, if you are for the Americans you must favor them and not favour them.

;)

:chogdee2

Yes I did spot an opportunity for a joke there but thought I'd leave for an observant US BM to make.

'Go U S A'...........unless GB have a medal chance...In which case I hope you see stars and we stripe your Yankee bottoms.

• Upvote 1

Yes I did spot an opportunity for a joke there but thought I'd leave for an observant US BM to make.

'Go U S A'...........unless GB have a medal chance...In which case I hope you see stars and we stripe your Yankee bottoms.

Well thanks for another nice comment.

My mom was German and sometimes I root for them but for me it is always US, England, Canada and Germany but I love the Irish and Australians and others. Back in the Cold War I rooted for Katarina Witt but I'm only human. Steffie Graf? That was tough for my monger side.

But of course home side rooting is to be expected.

As long as nobody loses an eye it is all just fun and games. The other day a Dutch lady crashed on her bike and cracked three vertebrae. Nationality was not a consideration when I saw that during the broadcast.

Edited by midlifecrisis

Piers Morgan came out with the "no surprise the American's first medal was in shooting" crack immediately following the event. Of course. That is what he does with anything related to guns.

It dawned on me after he said it that archery is a sport derived from a weapon designed to kill animals and people. Where is the angst over the bow and arrow? Bows are still used for hunting and could be used to kill people. Piers Morgan wants to be in American but hates our system. I guess he just likes to get paid well for having a big mouth.

While we are at it ban the javelin.

Did I miss any?

Piers Morgan came out with the "no surprise the American's first medal was in shooting" crack immediately following the event. Of course. That is what he does with anything related to guns.

It dawned on me after he said it that archery is a sport derived from a weapon designed to kill animals and people. Where is the angst over the bow and arrow? Bows are still used for hunting and could be used to kill people. Piers Morgan wants to be in American but hates our system. I guess he just likes to get paid well for having a big mouth.

Did I miss any?

A frozen leg of lamb...(Lamb to the slaughter, Roald Dahl)

Did I miss any?

You are welcome to Morgan, one of the all-time hated twats, in the UK. To be honest though, I heard the gun quip from many sources at the time, primarily Beeb though. Cecil's supporters and pride might take issue to the bows and arrows :lol:

I thought you already had a Javelin ban in schools in USA?

You are welcome to Morgan, one of the all-time hated twats, in the UK. To be honest though, I heard the gun quip from many sources at the time, primarily Beeb though. Cecil's supporters and pride might take issue to the bows and arrows :lol:

I thought you already had a Javelin ban in schools in USA?

Isn't Morgan back in the UK being despised?

I fought for the Renshuden in Camden Town as a boy.........

Respect was drilled into us.........I did let myself down just once in a team match when another boy.....(useless at Judo) repeatedly kicked my shins without any attempt to throw me. I broke contact with him kicked him back and called him a cunt.

The ref must have thought I had a a point because we were both penalised. Though my trainer, at that time the UK light heavyweight champ gave me a severe talking to. The fact that I won anyway perhaps helped to modify him. But I learnt my lesson.

At the highest level the Olympics......what occurs below is really out of order.........

https://youtu.be/Tiy5Zft-OxE

Edited by atlas2

Just fantastic, I'm so proud of our UK athletes. Size of population is not the deciding factor when it comes to individual and team prowess, but boy does our little country punch above its weight. Always has, actually my dear Watson.

Just fantastic, I'm so proud of our UK athletes. Size of population is not the deciding factor when it comes to individual and team prowess, but boy does our little country punch above its weight. Always has, actually my dear Watson.

Hi,

BBC athletic staff are in the main good. Michael Johnson is the best. Cram is fine as well but I hate it when Brendan Foster makes excuses for poor performances. I heard the lad was unwell overnight etc... :gulp America has the right way of treating athletes. In America no matter what your record if you fail in the trials you are OUT.