Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

International driving licence?

Hi

1- You need an IDP, not one an IDL

2- the problem is not the fine, but the fact that insurances will be very happy to not pay anything in case you make an accident not having all mandatory documents...

His location shows as UK, therefore he is asking for an IDL not a Thai licence, which, as I said previously he can get from a post office.

KM

Is it still realy necessary for an IDL?, is the fine for not having one cheaper than getting one?

No, in the UK they are relatively cheap at £5.50 which is less than a single stop and fine....(400 baht), with no guarantee you will not be stopped multiple times.

Who knows what flavour of the month is with police, they are certainly still collecting for their retirement fund as I saw Friday in town. The 3rd Rd Klang junction was doing a good trade for no left turn on red, the 2nd heading North across klang also had the regular guy picking off those without helmets or those stopping too far forward.

Edited by jacko

can get one in Thailand by post

http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/

Warning! This site delivers one of these many "IDL" that are absolutely not official! Sure this IDL may be enough to avoid a fine from a policeman, but in case of serious problem with insurances, it may worth nothing.

What is needed is an "IDP" : International Driving *Permit*. It's a grey document, a little bigger than a passport, and nearly the same in every country. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

BTW, there are articles/people saying that an IDP is not necessary if your country Driving License/Permit is in English... I don't know, and looks like nobody knows for certain! A long thread on ThaiVisa got no conclusion, mainly because several official USA & Australian organisations or Consulates recommend to get an IDP to drive in Thailand...?? In doubt, I would get one.

I agree with your comments, Idefix. About a year ago I approached my local bank branch in Australia (NAB) about the free travel insurance I receive when I buy my plane ticket via my NAB credit card, just to ensure that I have been covered for the past few years since I gave up purchasing insurance. I was told that, as long as I informed the bank of my travel dates I was covered (I didn't know I had to do that - just thought that seeing I had bought a dated ticket on my card I would be covered). There is a place on their website to advise the dates of travel. Anyway, I was also asked if I intended to drive a motor vehicle in Thailand. Upon answering in the positive, I was told that I would not be insured to ride any motorbike in Thailand, nor would I be insured for accident or injury if I drove any other vehicle that I was licensed for if I didn't have a current IDP with the correct endorsements. Luckily, I do have one, but think it is a rip-off to have to pay for it every year when I already pay for a drivers' licence anyway.

Just saying I use my Thai licence in Australia and the Uk very convenient

I use my Thai license in the USA, but was advised that if I were stopped or in an accident, the police might have some issues with it. I don't know what the insurance situation would be.

Has anyone any idea if it is possible for an expat to get an IDP in Thailand for their Thai license to be used in other countries?

I agree with your comments, Idefix. About a year ago I approached my local bank branch in Australia (NAB) about the free travel insurance I receive when I buy my plane ticket via my NAB credit card, just to ensure that I have been covered for the past few years since I gave up purchasing insurance. I was told that, as long as I informed the bank of my travel dates I was covered (I didn't know I had to do that - just thought that seeing I had bought a dated ticket on my card I would be covered). There is a place on their website to advise the dates of travel. Anyway, I was also asked if I intended to drive a motor vehicle in Thailand. Upon answering in the positive, I was told that I would not be insured to ride any motorbike in Thailand, nor would I be insured for accident or injury if I drove any other vehicle that I was licensed for if I didn't have a current IDP with the correct endorsements. Luckily, I do have one, but think it is a rip-off to have to pay for it every year when I already pay for a drivers' licence anyway.

I also have travel insurance through my bank and they had a clause regarding riding motorbikes abroad that they would only cover bikes up to 125cc and only if you were wearing a helmet. I told them that the bike I would ride in Thailand was150cc and that I have a much bigger bike in the UK which i ride regularly. They checked with their underwriters or who ever who said I would be covered for any size of bike that my license currently allows - which is unrestricted on size.

KM

I have no problems with that (above) but Thailand is a play area for many Australian families, and also a trap for young players who have (maybe) never ridden a bike before and think they will be okay there, so there have been huge medical bills and much grief following accidents. It has also meant huge bills for insurers, so they have rebelled. Do what you will, but be prepared for consequences.... I rode bikes in LOS for a couple of years, and also drove rented cars, but without a IDP and, luckily, without an accident. Won't try it again.

For what an IDP costs I would hardly class it as a rip-off.

When I rented from Expat Car Rentals last year,I think they would have rented on my US license but they were visibly happy when I produced an IDP. I have encountered a couple of middle of the day checkpoints where the police were checking licenses.

OK Cheers, I'll pop to the post office next week and let the other guys know it will be best for them

For me it's a 70 mile round trip to get one, but it's worth it as I do quite a lot of driving in Thailand...

When I rented from Expat Car Rentals last year,I think they would have rented on my US license but they were visibly happy when I produced an IDP. I have encountered a couple of middle of the day checkpoints where the police were checking licenses.

As previously posted, when a UK pal visited me he ignored my advice about getting a UK IDP. He had no problem hiring a bike on a UK licence, but the policeman who stopped him wanted to see an IDP and he got fined.

I also recall being pulled up and being nearby a Brit tourist arguing the toss with a cop because the rental company had NOT required an IDP, yet here was a policeman who did, as if they cared. It is only about making money guys.

Edited by jacko

For what an IDP costs I would hardly class it as a rip-off.

Maybe it's cheap in UK, but in NSW (Australia) it costs AUD35.00, plus you need to get a new passport-type photo every 3 years. :angry2:

So, I reckon it's a bit of a rip-off.

Maybe it's cheap in UK, but in NSW (Australia) it costs AUD35.00, plus you need to get a new passport-type photo every 3 years. :angry2:

So, I reckon it's a bit of a rip-off.

In the UK the IDP only last a year , so it's a new photo every year ,

How long do they last in OZ ?

Joe

In the UK the IDP only last a year , so it's a new photo every year ,

How long do they last in OZ ?

Joe

The IDP only lasts a year in Aust., but when I had my photos taken the first time I had 5 or 6 prints, so I could use some on future renewals. I then found that the photos can only be 3 years old. Will find out next year if anybody notices....

I live in Thailand and I have a Thai drivers license for a car but not for a motorcycle. If the traffic is bad in Pattaya like in the evenings or on the weekend I usually ride my motorbike and I was tired of having to go to the police station and pay 400 baht every time that the Pattaya police stopped me. I bought one of the so-called International Drivers Licenses like are advertised online a couple of years ago and it works like a charm. Sure, I know that they aren't legal and you wouldn't try and rent a car in the US with one but I know from using it that it works like a charm in Thailand and Cambodia. I figure that on my motorbike if anyone gets hurt in an accident it will be me so I'm not worried about insurance :smile: .

I only realised that my IDP had expired last week .....

I couldn't be arsed to go to my nearest Crown Post Office ... so sent an application to RAC.

I sent Wednesday ... and got in the post today ... so only took a week.

Cost £8 ... compared to the PO's £5.50 ... but it would have cost me more than the difference in petrol and parking!

:chogdee

Spud

• Upvote 1