Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Declaration limit $20'000 is for the part of "bringing money in Thailand"

but there is also a €10'000 limit "bringing money out of UK" (or out of EU, same)

Yes I was talking to someone, saying how I was going to bring USD20,000 cash equivalent next trip into Thailand, now a sizeable £16,000. But I was reminded of the ex-UK € limit, which is a rather lowly £8600. Bloody EU and their rules, be glad to be rid of them. I dont mind declaring ex-UK, but to be honest, would not like to make a declaration entering Thailand with over the £16000. Anyone do this quite regular....?

The rate bank transfer v TT cash exchange at a full baht per £ better I prefer in my pocket.

Edited by jacko
  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

The US dollar has dropped, although I keep reading articles that say it's due for another bounce. The theory is that it's a safe haven and some parts of the world have banking systems that aren't doing so well. I guess Europe and Italy are currently what people are worried about.

USD has come back slightly in the last month or so. Hanging around 32 is better than 31.

I am planning my total move to Thailand before years end. Only asking for your opinions on the US dollar rate by years end. Thank you in advance.

I doubt anyone really knows for sure.

I would be inclined to say the baht will hold or strengthen against the US dollar.

The Thai economy seems to be doing pretty well, so I would guess that the baht will likely appreciate. Since the US economy is also doing well, I think the dollar will remain around 30 or 31 to the dollar. Who knows?

The Thai economy seems to be doing pretty well, so I would guess that the baht will likely appreciate. Since the US economy is also doing well, I think the dollar will remain around 30 or 31 to the dollar. Who knows?

Some people seem to think that the US economy is doing "well" only because of the past monetary stimulus and the Trump tax plan which will add trillions to the national debt over the next decade. They point to current debt levels, both public and private and wonder how any of that can be sustained. And yet much of the world is in the same boat. I wouldn't count on things remaining stable.

Good comparison of various rates, yes pays to shop around!

Actually I get the impression, if one is changing cash, you should just go straight to TT exchanges in Pattaya.

Ahh TT exchanges are in yellow and black I assume.

Yes that is correct, although beware of at least one copy cat using the same colours, but not quite offering the same rates.

I have also been told of very slight variations between TT exchanges in varying locations, if I recall correctly the ones on Buakhao bettered the Beach Rd or Walking St ones.

Edited by jacko

The US midterm elections are in November. History tells us that both parties do whatever they can to keep the economy up through an election. Incumbents on both sides wish to be reelected. Generally speaking the economy stays strong and sometimes fades early the following year. If the economy stays strong so does the dollar. Who the boink knows how the baht will hold against the dollar.

Okay, ready for Harry Truman's economist's other hand?

Enter the "Irrationals". On election eve, 2016 Trump was elected. Democrats, progressives, liberals, and more than a few Republicans & conservatives heads exploded! Grey matter on ceilings/walls everywhere. They have been in psychotic rage and obsessive behavior against all things Trump. Hilary called those who liked the changes Trump wants to make to our country the "Deplorables".

We now have the "Irrationals". They do and say the most stupid, dumb, and self loathings things. Many are politicians. Who knows what they may do to sabotage the economy? Irrationals, I just made that up!

In answer to the OP's original question: There is no way of knowing what is going to happen. We live in ever changing times. You could hedge your funds and do monthly equal transfers for the next 6 months....

Edited by BigusDicus

Actually I get the impression, if one is changing cash, you should just go straight to TT exchanges in Pattaya.

Bad impression. Better to compare with exchange booths at proximity.

I bought several times euros at the begin of this month when he was rather low;

Not one time had TT the best rate !

I bought from Yenjit and the tiny booth next to MegaBreak Pool on Soi Diana.

Bad impression. Better to compare with exchange booths at proximity.

I bought several times euros at the begin of this month when he was rather low;

Not one time had TT the best rate !

I bought from Yenjit and the tiny booth next to MegaBreak Pool on Soi Diana.

TT is the best rate in all the pictures posted above by Chang_paarp for the Euro as well,

Most people are not actually buying Euros, but selling them!

Yenjit do look good though here....(website).

Worth checking them out thanks.

(Is this a new location for Yenjit? I couldn't find the place on Google Maps..just a place saying 'you save, we serve' in Thai)

Edited by jacko

Hi,

IMO Trump wants a manufacturing revival. That means a weak dollar. Like Germany wanted the Euro as the Deutchmark hindered exports as it was too strong.

Hi,

IMO Trump wants a manufacturing revival. That means a weak dollar. Like Germany wanted the Euro as the Deutchmark hindered exports as it was too strong.

He may want a weak dollar, but will he get it? The Fed seems determined to raise interest rates. Some think this would be an attempt to derail the Trump presidency by crashing the economy in time for the elections. And what about the tariffs and the trade wars?

He may want a weak dollar, but will he get it? The Fed seems determined to raise interest rates. Some think this would be an attempt to derail the Trump presidency by crashing the economy in time for the elections. And what about the tariffs and the trade wars?

Hi,

Trump seems smarter than any of those guys.

TT is the best rate in all the pictures posted above by Chang_paarp for the Euro as well,

Maybe our dear photographers for this topic should take a few pics of the screen of this tiny but very good exchange booth near MegaBreak ? ;)

Yenjit do look good though here....(website).

Worth checking them out thanks.

(Is this a new location for Yenjit? I couldn't find the place on Google Maps..just a place saying 'you save, we serve' in Thai)

There are location maps on their Contact Map page B)

For Pattaya itself:

- one at 2nd Rd and Central Rd, on 1st floor above where used to be a big Tops supermarket

- one on Walking Street, just on the left of NewYork Dinner/iBar/Insomnia

Maybe our dear photographers for this topic should take a few pics of the screen of this tiny but very good exchange booth near MegaBreak ? ;)

There are location maps on their Contact Map page B)

For Pattaya itself:

- one at 2nd Rd and Central Rd, on 1st floor above where used to be a big Tops supermarket

- one on Walking Street, just on the left of NewYork Dinner/iBar/Insomnia

Same one, couldn't see any mention of it being associated with Yenjit and hence would walk by.

The website seems short on English where location is concerned, although I knew of the two you mention, and have used them. Both been around a long time and out of the way. I got a poor rate from them once on Singapore dollars and stayed away after.

I will try and get a picture of their rates and a nearby TT when I can.

Edited by jacko

Today on the web site MM used www.xe.com the baht-us dollar was at 32.35. Was it close to this at the TT money exchange booths in Pattaya? The us dollar seems to be strengthening against the baht lately. Could be 34 again by years end I hope.

There is a good exchange on Walking Street of all places, When I checked the rates of this booth, it had parity with the rate in the Walking Street TT booth at the front of the Soi Diamond Alley.

IMG_20180508_191541 (Medium).jpg

Sterling/Baht finished Friday the highest it was all week. If Sterling/Dollar stays relatively calm early Monday taking into account time difference should see 43.25 at TT's give or take couple satang either way when they reopen (they like most exchanges mark it down for weekends)

The exchange that beats TT each time is that Red Top currency exchange if you're walking down Soi 8 its on your left around 50 metres down. Unless you're changing a bundle though might as well use the TTs as plenty about

• Upvote 1