Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, gs joe said:

It's more how you spend than where you spend ?

Yes I have over done it in beer bars too. I basically have so much with me to spend now and that includes barfines an LT money. No more buying four or five ladies drinks at the same time.

8 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Yes I have over done it in beer bars too. I basically have so much with me to spend now and that includes barfines an LT money. No more buying four or five ladies drinks at the same time.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

Didn't stop by yesterday to get the usual picture. Was on the bike and rain was making life difficult. 

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, jacko said:

Didn't stop by yesterday to get the usual picture. Was on the bike and rain was making life difficult. 

I think the rates remain static during the weekend don't they?. Just checked the fb page again and it's not been updated since.

I also found a website predicting the behaviour of the THB over the next year or so, with the current economy predicted to strengthen in Q2 of this year and beyond, it predicted a rate of 35thb to the Sterling for May 2020. Not sure if I beleive or understand how they came to that conclusion, but I'm hoping they are very wrong.

10 hours ago, Butch said:

I think the rates remain static during the weekend don't they?. Just checked the fb page again and it's not been updated since.

I also found a website predicting the behaviour of the THB over the next year or so, with the current economy predicted to strengthen in Q2 of this year and beyond, it predicted a rate of 35thb to the Sterling for May 2020. Not sure if I beleive or understand how they came to that conclusion, but I'm hoping they are very wrong.

Usually I get the rate  on Friday so it will reflect the weeks changes and set the tone for the weekend. 

Yes, there is a lot of inflow of money into Thailand and the projects on the Eastern seaboard , so  the currency can be expected to strengthen, especially against the massive debts the Western ones carry. I can only hope it will bring up the value of my land and house along  with demand and I can sell up in a few years and look to rent for a spell. All this seems to contradict a Pattaya that frankly is a dump in a lot of areas, and is frequently under water. 

16 hours ago, Butch said:

I think the rates remain static during the weekend don't they?.

The rates don’t remain completely static during the weekend. But there are not changing as much as from Monday to Friday.

Here we are boys.

20190609_103621.jpg

• Thanks 2

Thanks for that jacko.  Drew my first lump of cash out of the bank on Friday for the August trip - the days of converting to 40/€ are gone..... my Brit/French neighbour who lives off his pension is suffering too.

I decided to buy some baht yesterday as I like to have enough cash on me for the first few days.  I'm planning on 4,000 a day roughly.  So I figured $1,000NZ gets me 20,000bt.  

Looked up the rate for travelex,    19,770. Near enough. Off to the mall.  

Get there and he tells me....18,890.   Forget it.

Go home order it online from my bank 2,040.  But takes 5 days and may vary slightly.

So travelex would cost me a days accommodation every 5 days. Fuck them.

Thanks for posting these each week Jacko,  it's useful info to have.

2 hours ago, awesum4 said:

Well I am sure it is useful for those people back 'home' if only to stop them buying their baht there at awful rates. I know when I am flying out of the UK, I often look at the rates being offered by the exchange shops in the airport, and will pull my phone out and see what Bangkok Bank would give me. Difference is criminal, and of course TT Exchange will be better!

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Well I am sure it is useful for those people back 'home' if only to stop them buying their baht there at awful rates. I know when I am flying out of the UK, I often look at the rates being offered by the exchange shops in the airport, and will pull my phone out and see what Bangkok Bank would give me. Difference is criminal, and of course TT Exchange will be better!

So TT Exchange allows me to withdraw bhat using my debit cards,  not just change cash for bhat?

I dont fancy carrying heaps of cash around 

42 minutes ago, awesum4 said:

So TT Exchange allows me to withdraw bhat using my debit cards,  not just change cash for bhat?

I dont fancy carrying heaps of cash around 

I don't believe so, I was always under the impression it was a cash only sort of place. 

Debit cards of course OK at banks. 

just checked my local tesco in the uk £1 = 3.50 baht  was in pattaya last july and got just under 45 baht to the pound it was my first trip last july and i think this will be my last will look at trying vietnam...cambodia or lao ...many of my friends who have been visiting thailand for years and who persuaded me to give it a try are staying at home this year 2019 because of the exchange rate  ....Ian    

2 hours ago, martini9946 said:

just checked my local tesco in the uk £1 = 3.50 baht  was in pattaya last july and got just under 45 baht to the pound it was my first trip last july and i think this will be my last will look at trying vietnam...cambodia or lao ...many of my friends who have been visiting thailand for years and who persuaded me to give it a try are staying at home this year 2019 because of the exchange rate  ....Ian    

3.50 or 35 baht to the pound? Always better to buy your currency in Thailand.

KM

• Haha 1
On 6/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, martini9946 said:

I understand the urge to save money I am a Scot so tight with a penny , pounds get treated with reverence, but There are reasons why people are not en mass traveling to the places you are thinking of . That reason is for the long run there is a much better western type infrastructure in Thailand than in any of the countries you mention and whilst it might be a little less expensive over a short break it is much more relaxing for the long run to be in Pattaya . I stay for a minimum 1 month and often much longer , up to 4 and a half months, and whilst I could save money traveling elsewhere I would not get the same vibe or treatment I can get in Pattaya

On 6/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, awesum4 said:

I decided to buy some baht yesterday as I like to have enough cash on me for the first few days.  I'm planning on 4,000 a day roughly.  So I figured $1,000NZ gets me 20,000bt.  

Looked up the rate for travelex,    19,770. Near enough. Off to the mall.  

Get there and he tells me....18,890.   Forget it.

Go home order it online from my bank 2,040.  But takes 5 days and may vary slightly.

So travelex would cost me a days accommodation every 5 days. Fuck them.

I picked up my money from the bank.  Got 21 000 for my 1,000.   So 60 more than quoted, and 2,100 more than I would from travelex.

If I was prepared to carry large amounts of cash or  prepared to risk leaving it in the safe or hidden in the room I would get more. 

No good news here!

20190614_134413.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jeez!!!!!! 

Its getting lower and lower!.Where will it end up? "Maybe" if Brexit gets some way "sorted out"....it may climb up a few baht....doubt it though!

Luckily im getting older, so dont drink or fuck as much as I used to!!!

Also luckily I bought a house over there a few years ago when the exchange was almost double what it is today.

Next trip for me is in September..........christ knows how low it will be then!!