Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Yes. Thai government please weaken your currency against all others to assist the poor struggling mongers who like to come over and fuck your finest.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, cluster said:

Yes. Thai government please weaken your currency against all others to assist the poor struggling mongers who like to come over and fuck your finest.

Doesnt work like that. Only the Dollar/Baht ratio is of interest to us all  (plus obviously our own base currency against the Dollar)

• Haha 1

Who on earth laughed at my post couple above reference the currency pairings. !  If you genuinely dont realise or know how your own exchange rate is calculated than frankly you shouldn't possess a passport

1 hour ago, Rawhide2 said:

Who on earth laughed at my post couple above reference the currency pairings. !  If you genuinely dont realise or know how your own exchange rate is calculated than frankly you shouldn't possess a passport

'Twas I, sir!

The Euro is ALSO an International Reserve Currency (although at 20% against 62% for the USD) only a little brother.  And the little little baby brother is the GBP at 4%.

The Euro is not tied to the USD in any way - hence my giggling at the back of the class where all the stupid people are.  You will be distressed to know that I not only possess a passport, I HAVE TWO, one from the WTO UK and one from EU trade-bloc France.

Exchange rates are QUITE CLEARLY calculated by the girl in the MAIN TT booth on Second Road (not THAT one, the other one) depending on which side of the bed she got out of on any given morning..... She then communicates them by vape cloud to the next one... and so on (as in Great Britain long ago - "the Vikings, the French, the Germans, the Russians are coming", depending on the epoch).

The staff all then get together on the "TT Staff FB Messenger group - no work chat allowed" and have a sweep bet on which nationality of Pattaya Punter will drop dead on seeing today's rate.

QED - quite edifying drivel....

Andy "Passports are Us" Cap

Edited by capdagde
  • Haha 2

What on earth are you babbling about chap . I assume from that lot that the Euro is your base currency.... If so only two pairings are of interest to you

Dollar/Baht (same as 100% of other guys here) and  on the other side Euro/Dollar. Thats it nothing else is of the slightest importance as regards the Baht in your pocket

Edited by Rawhide2
2 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

Dollar/Baht (same as 100% of other guys here) and  on the other side Euro/Dollar. Thats it nothing else

I'm sitting in the stupid section (there you are - said it again).  Here was I thinking the only exchange rate that mattered to me was Euro/Baht.

Please tell me why I'm wrong..... Thank you in advance.  For all I know it could be you who sets the rates....

For anyone else sitting in the stupid section alongside Andy - as mentioned previously, this thread is specifically for 'the rate on the street' as normally seen by anyone walking past an exchange booth. It is not for deep delving questions about quantitive easing or any other such financial discussions or even about Mick Jackson and his recordings (his sister used to cut my hair!). It's  really really simple. Please don't walk up to the line and piss over it to the other side and think we'll let it go, because it's getting a bit wearing.

Enjoy the site and this thread for what it is and keep it for what it was intended - a quick up to date knowledge of what you'll get when you get there - ok?

KM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
For anyone else sitting in the stupid section alongside Andy - as mentioned previously, this thread is specifically for 'the rate on the street' as normally seen by anyone walking past an exchange booth. It is not for deep delving questions about quantitive easing or any other such financial discussions or even about Mick Jackson and his recordings (his sister used to cut my hair!). It's  really really simple. Please don't walk up to the line and piss over it to the other side and think we'll let it go, because it's getting a bit wearing.
Enjoy the site and this thread for what it is and keep it for what it was intended - a quick up to date knowledge of what you'll get when you get there - ok?

KM
Good post. If I see a new post on the topic I look at it. My only concern is that I am aware of what TT is offering so that I can check it against my local banks. Okay, I buy little at home but a few thousand baht in my pocket for cabs and emergencies is a must. God forbid that I ever buy one sodding baht at an airport exchange. Thanks to those who post photos of the rates and don't forget we others out here looking for the information.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

You   seem overly excited on this. I live in Thailand and to me the Thai Baht to GBP is what I focus on, the USD is irrelevant to me beyond a passing interest, to see what is really moving things around. Who gives out passports and whether you think they should qualify is not going to happen. Let us all agree, for many Nationalities, we don't get as many beer tokens as we used to!

I often stop my bike on the way home, walk to a TT exchange, and simply take a pic of their TV screen of exchange rates and post it for info to those not here, as others do too. We then all have a barstool moan and groan about it. It really is that simple. 

Frankly some make me think I waste fuel. 

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

If you Swift over some GBP to SCB this morning you get 37.97875.

3 hours ago, jacko said:

You   seem overly excited on this. I live in Thailand and to me the Thai Baht to GBP is what I focus on, the USD is irrelevant to me beyond a passing interest, to see what is really moving things around. Who gives out passports and whether you think they should qualify is not going to happen. Let us all agree, for many Nationalities, we don't get as many beer tokens as we used to!

I often stop my bike on the way home, walk to a TT exchange, and simply take a pic of their TV screen of exchange rates and post it for info to those not here, as others do too. We then all have a barstool moan and groan about it. It really is that simple. 

Frankly some make me think I waste fuel. 

Please don't stop doing it Jacko. Some of us really appreciate it.  

The NZ$, which is the only one I'm interested, in seems to have remained steady for the last month thank goodness.  Your efforts allow me to feel more confident I can still have a good time without breaking the bank in August

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, awesum4 said:

Please don't stop doing it Jacko. Some of us really appreciate it.  

The NZ$, which is the only one I'm interested, in seems to have remained steady for the last month thank goodness.  Your efforts allow me to feel more confident I can still have a good time without breaking the bank in August

I remember one trip years ago all the British guys were bemoaning the pound sterling being low.

I mean I felt for them but was glad it wasn't the USD. Now it is and I only care about my currency and my trip or no trip, if it goes too low. Hell, I need new furniture. When the USD was way up, I could afford both a trip and other things. Now it is bad enough that I have to take out all my fingers and toes and do some figuring.

Well sorry to be repetitive but I traipsed round in the rain, so you are getting it.

20190705_133854.jpg

• Thanks 3
4 hours ago, jacko said:

Well sorry to be repetitive but I traipsed round in the rain, so you are getting it.

20190705_133854.jpg

Has somebody higher up noticed that the USD, the GBP and the EUR were all on the slippery slope, not to mention the Thai Visa's thread         Pattaya business leaders bemoan strong baht

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1110013-pattaya-business-leaders-bemoan-strong-baht/#comments

Edited by jacko
baiting removed
20 hours ago, jacko said:

20190705_133854.jpg

The USD is back up a little. There is hope.

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Upvote 1

What is hitting me is the realisation that 380 Baht is £10 GBP.

I, like many others, used to convert in my head that £10 was about 500 Baht.

Now a 20 baht tip to round up a bill is more than 50p. A large Leo in my bar in Roiet is 80 Baht or over £2.10 a bottle.

To put 800,000 Baht in a bank here as required to support a retirement visa is around £21,000 GBP.

And the rate keeps dropping.......!

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

This incarnation as a Thailand visitor/resident--2002 to present--seem to remember the USD at 29+ for a fairly extended period.

What is hitting me is the realisation that 380 Baht is £10 GBP.

I, like many others, used to convert in my head that £10 was about 500 Baht.

Now a 20 baht tip to round up a bill is more than 50p. A large Leo in my bar in Roiet is 80 Baht or over £2.10 a bottle.

To put 800,000 Baht in a bank here as required to support a retirement visa is around £21,000 GBP.

And the rate keeps dropping.......!

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

For more years than I can recall my "In my head" conversion rate was 25 baht to the $NZ . I see that it's now 20.34. The only thing that I have in my favour is that at my age I don't care!

4 minutes ago, teelack said:

For more years than I can recall my "In my head" conversion rate was 25 baht to the $NZ . I see that it's now 20.34. The only thing that I have in my favour is that at my age I don't care!

Still that is almost 25%. For the USD it has lost about 1/6th in just four years.

Here's your graph for the last ten years. Anyone can see theirs by switching currencies below the graph and hitting the arrow to the right to update.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=THB&view=10Y

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Still that is almost 25%. For the USD it has lost about 1/6th in just four years.

Here's your graph for the last ten years. Anyone can see theirs by switching currencies below the graph and hitting the arrow to the right to update.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=THB&view=10Y

I couldn't figure out how to make it go back more than a year.  The USD touched 36 witin the past few years but I think it fell back within a day.

1 hour ago, teelack said:

When I first went to Thailand it was 25 as you say. 2 years ago it had dropped to 23. Now 20.  I hope it stays there or rises for the next 2 months.

1 hour ago, nkped said:

I couldn't figure out how to make it go back more than a year.  The USD touched 36 witin the past few years but I think it fell back within a day.

on the right of the graph is 12H 1D...10Y

so that changes the graph for a period of time from 12 hours to ten years. If you look up stocks online they have a similar system on different sites.

Below the graph is the currency you want to exchange. To the right of that is the currency to change to. To the right of that is a blue arrow to update the currencies to get a new graph.