Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

6 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

on the right of the graph is 12H 1D...10Y

so that changes the graph for a period of time from 12 hours to ten years. If you look up stocks online they have a similar system on different sites.

Below the graph is the currency you want to exchange. To the right of that is the currency to change to. To the right of that is a blue arrow to update the currencies to get a new graph.

Okay, it ended at a year on a phone.  The ten year chart is interesting.  No surprise there was a fall off after 2008.  As I thought I remembered, the run-up to 36 was over a comparatively short period.  May you live in interesting times.?

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

Most countries that sell product offshore want a weak currency.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-president-trump-finally-getting-a-weaker-dollar-11562583605

Is President Trump Finally Getting a Weaker Dollar?

The U.S. currency has slipped from recent highs, and analysts say it may be in for a steady decline

im-87528?width=620&aspect_ratio=1.5
A bank employee in Mexico City making adjustments on a board that displays the exchange rate between the Mexican peso and U.S. dollar.PHOTO: CARLOS JASSO/REUTERS
By 

President Trump has repeatedly bashed the dollar’s strength in recent years, only for the currency to grind higher. Now, analysts say, the U.S. currency may finally be primed for a decline, albeit a slow and steady one.

The WSJ Dollar Index, which measures the U.S. currency against a basket of 16 others, has slipped 1.1% from its recent highs, though it surged Friday following an upbeat jobs report. Those declines have come as net investor bets on a higher dollar have dropped to their lowest levels in a year, according to data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Scotiabank.

Whittled AwayNet futures bets on the dollarSource: Scotiabank, CFTC
.billion2014’15’16’17’18’19-30-20-10010203040$50June 7, 2016x$12.32 billion

Mr. Trump has said the stronger dollar places the U.S. at a competitive disadvantage to other economies. He has also criticized other countries for allowing their currencies to weaken against the greenback.

The currency’s recent declines could accelerate if the Federal Reserve eases monetary policy in the coming months by cutting interest rates, a move the central bank has recently signaled. Rate cuts tend to weaken the dollar by making it less attractive to yield-seeking investors.

However, a stronger-than-expected jobs report Friday forced some traders to unwind bets on sharply lower interest rates later this year. The report is increasing the focus on this week’s minutes from the Fed’s most recent meeting and upcoming inflation figures.

At the same time, some analysts believe the U.S. may more actively discourage other countries from pushing up the dollar by weakening their own currencies.

The Treasury recently enlarged the list of countries it monitors for currency manipulation and changed some of the criteria it uses to evaluate such cases. Under the expanded criteria, the Treasury added five countries to the watch list: Italy, Ireland, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam. The list already included China, Germany, South Korea and Japan.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

How have your views on interest rates and the dollar changed recently? Join the conversation below.

The expanded list was part of the Treasury’s semiannual currency report, which is used to discourage countries from devaluing their currencies so that exports are cheaper for U.S. markets. The designation can be applied to countries that meet the following criteria: actively intervening in their currency markets; having large trade surpluses with the U.S.; and having large overall current-account surpluses.

Analysts at Standard Chartered noted in a recent report that the dollar has weakened during the last three Republican administrations, a move they attribute to the fallout from fiscal easing policies that GOP presidents—including Mr. Trump—have favored.

“There does seem to be a case for longer-term dollar decline, and it is just possible that the long-term could be about to start,” said Steven Barrow, the bank’s head of G-10 strategy. “We still stick to our view that the dollar will be lower when Trump leaves office than the day he joined.”

Write to Ira Iosebashvili at ira.iosebashvili@wsj.com

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/9/2019 at 7:49 PM, Severn said:

BKK airport

7pm 9th July 2019

Scary969489bfaf576edb1c57fb19c1996675.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

The Indian Rupee at   .27  Damm this takes the cake...The lowest I have ever seen it.....You can get .42 in Pattaya anywhere....

12 minutes ago, Kev said:

Shite Jacko that is a sad sight for us Aussies ?

Sure is Kev. I’m wheels up in a little over 3 weeks too....,

5 hours ago, Kev said:

Shite Jacko that is a sad sight for us Aussies ?

'kin oath. Anywhere else you risk sub-20. Dumb cunts in Canberra and Sudney think that fiddling with local interest rates still have any effect on the economy.

Edited by Bob Belzy
18 hours ago, Bob Belzy said:

'kin oath. Anywhere else you risk sub-20. Dumb cunts in Canberra and Sudney think that fiddling with local interest rates still have any effect on the economy.

Wow... I'm on a par with Aussie politicians (the people that the Aussies vote for).... is that good or bad? :eyecrazy

They must know that a quality egotistical EU tourist is arriving in a few weeks and have rolled out the grimy red carpet.  If the EUR gets above 40 by then I will expect it to have been dry cleaned - the carpet or the Euro.

UP TO YOUUUUUUUUU!

(Seriously - look at the spreads in posts #404 and #408 :hithead :scared: - no questions inciting a tangent, so no more of a TF [ThaiFriendly] than any other post not containing a photo full of numbers....... imhfo)

Brain on #404 is at the airport - last chance saloon.

Edited by capdagde

Slightly different.... I just got a new Debit/ATM card from, my UK bank. It required activation so I phoned the number shown, and of course, despite the number being for Jersey, ended talking to a lady in India whose English was pretty difficult. Anyhow got nowhere. Sorted it after a few days. I decided since I do use this card (when in the UK and nearby countries), I would like to test it and see how the rate looks too. It is actually some years since I did this in Thailand. Firstly, as we all know, the ATM machine warns you it will add 220 baht onto your withdrawal. Nice to be warned... but I still only got 15,000 baht in cash. It has shown up already on my on-line banking. My bank took another £1.50 charge and £427.21 deducted. I make that 34.99 baht/£.  Above, for cash notes, you see TT were giving 38.28.

An  overseas ATM card is a good emergency backup, but will cost you 

Edited by jacko
7 hours ago, jacko said:

Slightly different.... I just got a new Debit/ATM card from, my UK bank. It required activation so I phoned the number shown, and of course, despite the number being for Jersey, ended talking to a lady in India whose English was pretty difficult. Anyhow got nowhere. Sorted it after a few days. I decided since I do use this card (when in the UK and nearby countries), I would like to test it and see how the rate looks too. It is actually some years since I did this in Thailand. Firstly, as we all know, the ATM machine warns you it will add 220 baht onto your withdrawal. Nice to be warned... but I still only got 15,000 baht in cash. It has shown up already on my on-line banking. My bank took another £1.50 charge and £427.21 deducted. I make that 34.99 baht/£.  Above, for cash notes, you see TT were giving 38.28.

99% you unwittingly accepted dynamic conversion and if you've not used a UK card in Thailand for some years its so easy to do as you need to actually decline it on screen not something we are used to . Standard UK bank cards use Mastercard/Visa rate.  Even allowing for the 220 Baht plus overseas usage fees etc etc thats way too low but its virtually spot on having just worked out what dynamic conversion would have made it which I make 35.08.

Sterling was actually up yesterday as Baht had weakened somewhat sharply against the Dollar and Interbank was 38.90 at close last night......Mastercard or Visa will be around 38.50 (ish)

Edited by Rawhide2
2 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

99% you unwittingly accepted dynamic conversion and if you've not used a UK card in Thailand for some years its so easy to do as you need to actually decline it on screen not something we are used to .

I can't say as I noticed the option on the ATM machine. In fact I think I would prefer not to be given such confusing options. 

The exchange rate actually used would have been (15000+220)/427.21 ie 35.63,  that was Friday about 8am BST. The  34.99 I came up with is overall. Anyhow, if I recall correctly, my HSBC one is usually worse!

I too see the baht has weakened,  thankfully. Wasn't Carney also reasonably optimistic on the UK Thursday too?

6 hours ago, jacko said:

I can't say as I noticed the option on the ATM machine. In fact I think I would prefer not to be given such confusing options.

Yes thats exactly what the complaints have been about over DC....it comes up to give the impression its standard practice. Its a complete rip off but there is definately a "decline" option on screen

Try your card again you can always cancel the transcation at the point before DC anyway but you'll see it on screen. Not just Thailand lot of banks in different countries have introduced it as well

• Thanks 1

On occasion when I overspend I go to a bank of Ayudhya branch with my passport and my santander zero credit card. I get no charges from the branch or from my bank and get a few baht lower rate than the interbank rate. As it is a credit card I use I have to log onto to internet banking and pay the amount I have withdrawn straight away. That avoids the interest the banks charge on credit card cash withdrawals.

Edited by tombon
Grammar

^^^

Yes Baht weakened Thursday/Friday against USD and we saw the slight increase off the back of it Sterling/Baht.....keep an eye on the Dollar/Baht pairing because Thai Government the previous week had stated they wanted to weaken the Baht slightly by conventional means.....if it breaks back above 31.30 interbank than its fair to say its game on

2 hours ago, Kev said:

whoo hoo lets weaken the baht !!!

Its not difficult to do from the Thai Governments point of view.....in "simple terms" all they have to do is sell their own currency heavily on Forex markets. What they're afriad of is Trumps crew claiming financial manipulation if they do it too agressively

Back out to 35 would be a right result for everyone bar none  lol

On 7/13/2019 at 7:12 AM, jacko said:

I use ING bank and there debit card refunds overseas  ATM fees (though I haven't used this facility) though using the card in various countries for cash (debit) payments I tend to get a TINY bit better the TT currency rates without any fees.