Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pound-falls-against-dollar-amid-brexit-fears-11564417029?tesla=y&mod=article_inline

Pound Falls Against Dollar Amid Brexit Fears

Sterling’s sharp drop precipitated in part by new polls showing gains for Conservative Party, say analysts

im-93816?width=620&size=1.5
A stack of British one pound coins sit on an arrangement of U.S. dollar banknotes. The pound’s latest drop added to the currency’s declines since former Prime Minister Theresa May said she would quit two months ago. PHOTO: JASON ALDEN/BLOOMBERG NEWS
By 
Sam Goldfarb and 
Anna Isaac

Rising fears about a no-deal Brexit pushed the British pound further downward on Monday, reflecting a shift in tone from the U.K. government under new Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

In recent trading, the pound was down 1.3% against the dollar at $1.2216, on pace for its lowest close since March 2017.

Analysts said the pound’s sharp drop was precipitated in part by new polls that showed gains for the Conservative Party after Mr. Johnson won the race to lead the party last week, replacing former Prime Minister Theresa May.

Some investors and political analysts think Mr. Johnson could call an early election before the U.K. is scheduled to withdraw from the European Union on Oct. 31. Such a move could potentially allow Mr. Johnson to build a majority in Parliament that would support his efforts to leave the EU with or without an agreement that would soften the economic blow of a departure.

WSJ Dollar IndexSource: Dow Jones Market DataAs of July 29, 1:45 p.m. ET
July 16July 19July 24July 2989.5089.7590.0090.2590.5090.7591.0091.25

Though Mr. Johnson has said that he would prefer to reach a deal with the EU, he has also described a previous agreement struck by Mrs. May as unacceptable and signaled that the U.K. must step up preparations for a so-called hard Brexit.

"Our base case is that there will be an early election,” said Petr Krpata, chief EMEA FX and IR strategist at ING. “Under this situation, sterling will go below $1.18 against the dollar.”

The pound’s latest drop has added to the currency’s declines since Mrs. May said she would quit two months ago, prompting traders to rethink assumptions about Brexit scenarios.

Buoyed in part by the dollar’s gains against the pound, the WSJ Dollar Index, which measures the U.S. currency against a basket of 16 others, was recently up 0.2% at 90.96.

The yield on the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note was 2.067%, according to Tradeweb, compared with 2.081% Friday. Yields fall when bond prices rise.

Write to Sam Goldfarb at sam.goldfarb@wsj.com 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

I recall back in June, 2016, several days before the UK's EU referendum, I was in the UK, so my mind wasn't focused on sending money to Thailand. It should have been. The rate then was around 51 baht/£. I simply cannot insert enough banghead emojis into this post to justify how I feel!

• Upvote 1

Even lower than Forests screenshot now.....dumped another 20 satang since that was taken.

You can see the Euro hurting badly against the Dollar close to dropping into 33's and Aussies own problem with the Dollar close to the 20's now.....Dollar/Baht is stable (for now) so again its our own currencies weakness against the USD doing the damage

Edited by Rawhide2
wow thats way higher than it normally is in relation to interbank at locked down weekend rates. Interbank is only 38.15. It wont be 38.03 tomorrow morning if interbank opens the same
Had a look at the weekend rates for Revolut just 37.35 prior to posting. Illiquid currency I know
What IS illiquid currency?

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Odense said:

Revolut decided 2-3 years ago that the Rouble and Thai Baht were illiquid currencies (not subsequently easily converted again) and lowered the rate from Interbank that they offered on all currencies. They have since brought in a whole raft of new rules that make the card virtually worthless except for changing via an ATM £200 per calender month very useful still in eurozones countries....at the moment you get perfect forex rate on that first £200 even better when the local atm machine doesnt have a local charge (like Thailand)

Revolut knock all currencies down at weekends as well these days

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Odense said:

That was a new one for me two.

"An exotic currency is a foreign exchange term for a thinly traded currency. Exotic currencies are illiquid, lack market depth and trade at low volumes. Trading an exotic currencies can be expensive, as the bid-ask spread is usually large."

36.38 Jacko agreed this is simply trip ending (or not even starting) rates and this obession with no deal could well push it lower

Am wondering what the cartel rate is at Suvarnabhumbi currently. Must be 34 something now

Edited by Rawhide2
1 hour ago, 9cisco999 said:

Reichsmark?

Watertmark?

19 hours ago, nkped said:

US media keeps talking about the strength of the USD?  Who knows.

And Trump keeps talking about other currencies being kept artificially low by governments to give their exports an unfair advantage.I see the € has gone under 34 that's me well out the game,it's going to be a long dark winter.

9 minutes ago, yselmike said:

And Trump keeps talking about other currencies being kept artificially low by governments to give their exports an unfair advantage.I see the € has gone under 34 that's me well out the game,it's going to be a long dark winter.

Like the low USD?

If the dollar drops under 30 I'm out but will wait until late October just in case of a rebound.

35 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Like the low USD?

If the dollar drops under 30 I'm out but will wait until late October just in case of a rebound.

That's where I am at,October 31 is the day.I have just had a look at the euro-Dong rate and it looks like it's on a slippery slope downwards."Now is the winter of our discontent".

2 hours ago, yselmike said:

That's where I am at,October 31 is the day.I have just had a look at the euro-Dong rate and it looks like it's on a slippery slope downwards."Now is the winter of our discontent".

Made glorious summer by a devaluation of the baht.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, 9cisco999 said:

Reichsmark?

Yes - I would say so. But apparently this British app is calling Thai baht for illiquid. At the moment the British pound seems to be more so IMHO.

9 hours ago, Odense said:

Yes - I would say so. But apparently this British app is calling Thai baht for illiquid. At the moment the British pound seems to be more so IMHO.

What are you on about British app ??  Sterling more illiquid than Thai Baht ??   Dont give up your day job !