Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

1 hour ago, Rawhide2 said:

Yes up again today as well. Sterling rising against the Dollar for now the reason. Almost certainly (in fact 99%) because Tories now coming out and openly saying they'll vote against their own party to get rid of a no deal exit in a confidence vote.....if that chatter rises Sterling will continue north

Could be. Also important Thai GDP figures will get released on monday. If there not as strong as predicted the baht will lower against the dollar and hopefully have a knock on effect against other currencies. 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tombon said:

Could be. Also important Thai GDP figures will get released on monday. If there not as strong as predicted the baht will lower against the dollar and hopefully have a knock on effect against other currencies. 

Yep any weakening of the Baht against the Dollar is great news for all other currencies

Just looking at the moment Sterling well up against the Euro as well as the USD

Perhaps worth mentioning that a story in the Bangkok Post this morning was interesting. In order to boost tourism there are some major tourist subsidies to be announced. The include extra hotels discounts so if you are planning to come to Thailand keep an eye out for the update. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, teelack said:

Perhaps worth mentioning that a story in the Bangkok Post this morning was interesting. In order to boost tourism there are some major tourist subsidies to be announced. The include extra hotels discounts so if you are planning to come to Thailand keep an eye out for the update. 

Also I read that they are planning on extending the visa waiver fee for a further year for indian and Chinese visitors. 

I know we westerners don't have to pay for a tourist Visa so its right that others dont have to pay for it. Especially if the others make up the vast majority of tourist and tourist baht.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, teelack said:

Yes. and free visas for Chinese and Indian.....    they are the preferred market.

Edited by jacko

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dollar-towers-above-rivals-posing-fresh-threats-to-financial-markets-11566126002?mod=hp_lead_pos6

Dollar Towers Above Rivals, Posing Fresh Threats to Financial Markets

A strong dollar can hurt earnings, commodities and developing economies

im-98952?width=620&size=1.5
One key driver of the dollar’s gains has been the relative strength of the U.S. economy. PHOTO: PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY EMIL LENDOF/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL; PHOTOS: ISTOCK
By 
Ira Iosebashvili

A  prolonged dollar rally is pressuring U.S. corporate earnings, hitting commodity prices and threatening to deepen a selloff in emerging markets.

The U.S. currency has continued to grind higher this year despite an escalating trade war with China and broadsides from President Trump, who has complained that its strength is constraining growth. Last month, the dollar rose even after the Federal Reserve cut interest rates for the first time in a decade, defying expectations that lower rates would reduce the appeal of U.S. assets to yield-seeking investors.

U.S. Dollar IndexSource: FactSetAs of Aug. 16, 5:28 p.m. ET
Jan. ’18Jan. ’19JulyJuly889092949698100May 30, 2019x98.14

The ICE Dollar Index, which tracks the dollar against a basket of six major currencies, stands near its highest level in more than two years and is up nearly 11% from its 2018 lows.

One key driver of the dollar’s gains has been the relative strength of the U.S. economy, which until recently has allowed the Fed to raise rates since 2015 far above the levels of borrowing costs in other developed countries.

As recently as last year, investors were betting that growth would accelerate abroad, boosting foreign currencies as central banks outside the U.S. raised rates. That pickup never materialized, and investors now believe the gap in yields is likely to remain in place as central banks ease monetary policy to counter the effects of a global slowdown.

Even with last week’s decline in Treasury yields, investors can still expect to collect a far larger payout from U.S. government bonds than from those in any other developed country, including Europe and Japan, where negative yields have proliferated in recent years.

“There is nothing exceptional about U.S. growth, but it still looks pretty exceptional compared to other parts of the world,” said Alan Ruskin, chief international strategist at Deutsche Bank.

The dollar’s strength has been a double-edged sword, both inside and outside the U.S.

Trade-War CasualtiesThe strong dollar has hurt companies derivingmore of their revenues outside the U.S.Average earnings growth, compared withyear-earlier periodSource: FactSetNote: Based on first 20 companies reporting
%More than 50% revenues inside U.S.More than 50% revenues outside U.S.2014’15’16’17’18’19-15-10-5051015202530

A stronger dollar is a negative for U.S. exporters because it makes their products less competitive abroad. It is also hurting U.S. multinationals by making it more expensive for them to convert foreign revenues into the U.S. currency—a worrisome trend for investors betting on an earnings rebound in the second half of the year.

The earnings of S&P 500 companies with more international exposure fell an average of around 12% in the second quarter compared with a year ago, while those with more domestic revenue rose more than 4%, a FactSet analysis of a selected group of recent earnings reports found.

Companies that have cited the dollar as a negative factor this year run the gamut from Levi Strauss & Co. and International Business Machines Corp. to medical-technology companyHologic Inc.

MSCI Emerging Markets Currency IndexSource: MSCI
2018’1915751600162516501675170017251750
Emerging-market debt, as of Q1 of each yearSource: Institute of International Finance
.trillionOtherEuroU.S.dollar2005’10’15012345678$9

At the same time, the dollar’s strength has made investors more cautious on emerging markets, which have in recent months been hit by fears of slowing global growth stemming from the trade war between China and the U.S.

A rising dollar makes it more expensive for developing countries to service their dollar-denominated debt, pressuring those that have borrowed heavily in the U.S. currency. The outstanding dollar-denominated debt of emerging-market companies and governments stood at $6.4 trillion at the end of the first quarter, compared with $2.7 trillion a decade ago, according to the Institute of International Finance.

Copper futures priceSource: FactSetNote: Continuous contractAs of Aug. 16, 4:59 p.m. ET
.a poundJan. ’18Jan. ’19JulyJuly2.402.602.803.003.20$3.40

Prices for commodities, which have been buffeted by growth fears and the trade-war escalation, have also been hurt by the strengthening dollar. Oil, copper and most other raw materials are denominated in dollars and become more expensive to foreign buyers when the U.S. currency appreciates.

But the dollar’s strength has been a boon to countries trying to boost growth because it makes their own currencies cheaper. That has drawn the ire of President Trump and heightened speculation that the Treasury Department may try to weaken the dollar through intervention in currency markets, a tactic that hasn’t been attempted by the U.S. since 2000.

Mr. Trump and his economic advisers discussed a proposal to intervene in foreign-currency markets to weaken the dollar but ultimately decided against such an action, officials said last month.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

What are your thoughts on a strong dollar? What does it mean for the U.S. at large, in this moment? Join the conversation below.

Write to Ira Iosebashvili at ira.iosebashvili@wsj.com

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, BigusDicus said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dollar-towers-above-rivals-posing-fresh-threats-to-financial-markets-11566126002?mod=hp_lead_pos6

Dollar Towers Above Rivals, Posing Fresh Threats to Financial Markets

A strong dollar can hurt earnings, commodities and developing economies

im-98952?width=620&size=1.5
One key driver of the dollar’s gains has been the relative strength of the U.S. economy. PHOTO: PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY EMIL LENDOF/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL; PHOTOS: ISTOCK
By 
Ira Iosebashvili

A  prolonged dollar rally is pressuring U.S. corporate earnings, hitting commodity prices and threatening to deepen a selloff in emerging markets.

The U.S. currency has continued to grind higher this year despite an escalating trade war with China and broadsides from President Trump, who has complained that its strength is constraining growth. Last month, the dollar rose even after the Federal Reserve cut interest rates for the first time in a decade, defying expectations that lower rates would reduce the appeal of U.S. assets to yield-seeking investors.

U.S. Dollar IndexSource: FactSetAs of Aug. 16, 5:28 p.m. ET
Jan. ’18Jan. ’19JulyJuly889092949698100May 30, 2019x98.14

The ICE Dollar Index, which tracks the dollar against a basket of six major currencies, stands near its highest level in more than two years and is up nearly 11% from its 2018 lows.

One key driver of the dollar’s gains has been the relative strength of the U.S. economy, which until recently has allowed the Fed to raise rates since 2015 far above the levels of borrowing costs in other developed countries.

As recently as last year, investors were betting that growth would accelerate abroad, boosting foreign currencies as central banks outside the U.S. raised rates. That pickup never materialized, and investors now believe the gap in yields is likely to remain in place as central banks ease monetary policy to counter the effects of a global slowdown.

Even with last week’s decline in Treasury yields, investors can still expect to collect a far larger payout from U.S. government bonds than from those in any other developed country, including Europe and Japan, where negative yields have proliferated in recent years.

“There is nothing exceptional about U.S. growth, but it still looks pretty exceptional compared to other parts of the world,” said Alan Ruskin, chief international strategist at Deutsche Bank.

The dollar’s strength has been a double-edged sword, both inside and outside the U.S.

Trade-War CasualtiesThe strong dollar has hurt companies derivingmore of their revenues outside the U.S.Average earnings growth, compared withyear-earlier periodSource: FactSetNote: Based on first 20 companies reporting
%More than 50% revenues inside U.S.More than 50% revenues outside U.S.2014’15’16’17’18’19-15-10-5051015202530

A stronger dollar is a negative for U.S. exporters because it makes their products less competitive abroad. It is also hurting U.S. multinationals by making it more expensive for them to convert foreign revenues into the U.S. currency—a worrisome trend for investors betting on an earnings rebound in the second half of the year.

The earnings of S&P 500 companies with more international exposure fell an average of around 12% in the second quarter compared with a year ago, while those with more domestic revenue rose more than 4%, a FactSet analysis of a selected group of recent earnings reports found.

Companies that have cited the dollar as a negative factor this year run the gamut from Levi Strauss & Co. and International Business Machines Corp. to medical-technology companyHologic Inc.

MSCI Emerging Markets Currency IndexSource: MSCI
2018’1915751600162516501675170017251750
Emerging-market debt, as of Q1 of each yearSource: Institute of International Finance
.trillionOtherEuroU.S.dollar2005’10’15012345678$9

At the same time, the dollar’s strength has made investors more cautious on emerging markets, which have in recent months been hit by fears of slowing global growth stemming from the trade war between China and the U.S.

A rising dollar makes it more expensive for developing countries to service their dollar-denominated debt, pressuring those that have borrowed heavily in the U.S. currency. The outstanding dollar-denominated debt of emerging-market companies and governments stood at $6.4 trillion at the end of the first quarter, compared with $2.7 trillion a decade ago, according to the Institute of International Finance.

Copper futures priceSource: FactSetNote: Continuous contractAs of Aug. 16, 4:59 p.m. ET
.a poundJan. ’18Jan. ’19JulyJuly2.402.602.803.003.20$3.40

Prices for commodities, which have been buffeted by growth fears and the trade-war escalation, have also been hurt by the strengthening dollar. Oil, copper and most other raw materials are denominated in dollars and become more expensive to foreign buyers when the U.S. currency appreciates.

But the dollar’s strength has been a boon to countries trying to boost growth because it makes their own currencies cheaper. That has drawn the ire of President Trump and heightened speculation that the Treasury Department may try to weaken the dollar through intervention in currency markets, a tactic that hasn’t been attempted by the U.S. since 2000.

Mr. Trump and his economic advisers discussed a proposal to intervene in foreign-currency markets to weaken the dollar but ultimately decided against such an action, officials said last month.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

What are your thoughts on a strong dollar? What does it mean for the U.S. at large, in this moment? Join the conversation below.

Write to Ira Iosebashvili at ira.iosebashvili@wsj.com

Edited by chippendalesam
I screwed up. Sorry.

I've just got in from work and watched SKY news, some positive vibes coming from Merkel regarding Brexit and a way forward, with any luck this might push Sterling up a tad.

9 hours ago, Butch said:

I've just got in from work and watched SKY news, some positive vibes coming from Merkel regarding Brexit and a way forward, with any luck this might push Sterling up a tad.

I have yet to catch the news, it hasn't looked positive for Boris yet but I want us to be steered or expelled out of Europe whatever happens now. A 'club' so difficult to leave is surely not a place to be! I took a TT picture last night but Le Baz has made it redundant. Expenditure on the crawl was high!

Edited by jacko

Only my opinion but its clear to me Boris is just paying lip service to Merkel yesterday and Macron later today purely to claim at a later date the EU sabotaged his efforts to leave with a deal. The blokes an utter clown and the likes of Merkel/Macron know it only to well

Couple weeks and he's history on the day parliament returns from recess

1 hour ago, Rawhide2 said:

Only my opinion but its clear to me Boris is just paying lip service to Merkel yesterday and Macron later today purely to claim at a later date the EU sabotaged his efforts to leave with a deal. The blokes an utter clown and the likes of Merkel/Macron know it only to well

Hi,

The Tories are toast if they fail to deliver Brexit . I'm optimistic Boris will deliver it. Not a great fan of Boris, but I dislike Merkel and Macron more. If Boris delivers I believe he will romp a General Election. Let's see how it plays out. Interesting times.:yikes:

19 minutes ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

The Tories are toast if they fail to deliver Brexit . I'm optimistic Boris will deliver it. Not a great fan of Boris, but I dislike Merkel and Macron more. If Boris delivers I believe he will romp a General Election. Let's see how it plays out. Interesting times.:yikes:

Boris wont have an opportunity to deliver Brexit in the first place. He's history on or around 3rd September thats utterly clear in a no confidence vote that Corbyn is laying at first opportunity. 34 Tories have already indicated they'll vote against their own party to avoid a disastrous no deal outcome....  In my opinion Ken Clarke would be a good temporary leader of the house whilst the GE is called but protocol says leader of the opposition gets the gig should votes stack up.

5 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Boris claimed during the campaign for brexit that a deal would be done within 30 days, Merkel threw it back in his face yesterday.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, yselmike said:

Boris claimed during the campaign for brexit that a deal would be done within 30 days, Merkel threw it back in his face yesterday.

Blokes absolutely full of shit.....did you see him alongside the immaculate Macron this lunchtime. Dressed and looking like a tramp simply beyond embarassing

58 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

Blokes absolutely full of shit.....did you see him alongside the immaculate Macron this lunchtime. Dressed and looking like a tramp simply beyond embarassing

Not a snappy dresser like Corbyn then. :smile:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1