Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:32 PM, Butch said:

Not wanting to get political on this, but as UK parliament is effectively closed for the next 5 weeks, what direction do we expect Sterling to head in, or will it remain static, unless it reacts to news from the EU concerning Brexit?.

Suspect after Supreme Court on Tuesday is will reopen within hours. Ministers still work in the background though and I detect a groundswell of optimism that a deal will be done and Sterling will act accordingly. I would expect Sterling/Dollar to continue to rise this week. Interbank was 38.14 an hour ago but slipped back to 38.08 now at time of post

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

Suspect after Supreme Court on Tuesday is will reopen within hours. Ministers still work in the background though and I detect a groundswell of optimism that a deal will be done and Sterling will act accordingly. I would expect Sterling/Dollar to continue to rise this week. Interbank was 38.14 an hour ago but slipped back to 38.08 now at time of post

Yes, I am sitting on my hands at the moment, the recent slight improvement had me getting ready to transfer some money but I too feel a 'swell of optimism'....it will surely end in tears, mine. 

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Interbank/Transferwise is 38.31 at time of post...

I too have been looking at Transferwise, I always incorporate the 'fee' into the rate, and want to see 38+ net of charges. You have to watch how much it is... can be as little as 7 GBP on £1000, but on £5000 jumps to £30. More if you use cards. Thirty quid is more than I used to pay my bank for a telex transfer, now it is free. T/W still win on exchange rate overall, and bypasses the Bangkok Bank exchange charge.

Haven't seen the news yet... but as the exchange rate had gone up slightly, I expect it won't please me. . 

Edited by jacko
7 hours ago, jacko said:

Haven't seen the news yet... but as the exchange rate had gone up slightly,

Sterling moved up against Dollar highest for several month after Juncker said a deal could be done before before 31/10 and in effect the backstop was not set in stone

Oops, forgot to post this... so belatedly.....

20190922_101000.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Butch said:

Unusual to see them offering a £50 option , even if it is the same. I was always under the impression that 50's were hard to change because of forgery issues.

I take mostly £50 notes on my Thailand trips and the only issue I seem to suffer from is notes getting rejected due to writing on them or tiny tears..... I try and check them all beforehand.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

I take mostly £50 notes on my Thailand trips and the only issue I seem to suffer from is notes getting rejected due to writing on them or tiny tears..... I try and check them all beforehand.

£20 and £50's are getting old now I think, so finding good condition ones is harder and harder (20's anyway) I've found TT fairly accepting with the odd pen mark, but as you say, rips, tears and other stuff they just hand them straight back.

16 minutes ago, Butch said:

I've found TT fairly accepting with the odd pen mark, but as you say, rips, tears and other stuff they just hand them straight back.

My experience of TT is that they are very unaccepting of absolutely anything, however minor, which is on any part of the Queen's image - even if just on the periphery.

3 hours ago, Butch said:

Unusual to see them offering a £50 option , even if it is the same. I was always under the impression that 50's were hard to change because of forgery issues.

I actually looked at that and thought what was the bloody point when the numbers are exactly the same! All my notes in the UK come from ATMs so no 50s. Never see them actually. Are they still bigger and don't fit in most wallets? (Not a problem for the Fiend as they are straight in his Mrs's purse. )

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, jacko said:

I actually looked at that and thought what was the bloody point when the numbers are exactly the same! All my notes in the UK come from ATMs so no 50s. Never see them actually. Are they still bigger and don't fit in most wallets? (Not a problem for the Fiend as they are straight in his Mrs's purse. )

Perhaps it is to preempt questions on any different rates for 50s ......But that would mean forethought....Perhaps there was a spare line and they didn't know what else to put there.. 

2 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

Perhaps it is to preempt questions on any different rates for 50s ......But that would mean forethought....Perhaps there was a spare line and they didn't know what else to put there.. 

More the point, which line has perhaps been removed? 

I always bring £50 notes as it is less to carry. This time I needed to bring several thousand pounds because of something I had to pay for, but didn't have any issues taking it all at the same time to a money changer on 2nd road, just past the traffic lights new the Buddha school. didn't get a better rate because they were fifties although slightly better than TT, however it was better changing them inside the shop rather than outside on the street - it's was a lot of notes to check!!

When I get the notes from my UK bank, I always ask them for new or unmarked notes and they give me the opportunity to check them first and change any I'm not happy with.

KM

8 hours ago, jacko said:

Are they still bigger and don't fit in most wallets? (Not a problem for the Fiend as they are straight in his Mrs's purse. )

Yep, 50's are still bigger...... but no problem fitting in my wallets.......

And Mrs Fiend only gets some of them..... luckily, she lets me control the financials!!!!

Hi,

I can't relax if I'm carrying lots of cash on holiday. I don't mind going to the races with cash but when I am having cultural exchanges I am worried a lady may nick my dosh.

1 hour ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

I can't relax if I'm carrying lots of cash on holiday. I don't mind going to the races with cash but when I am having cultural exchanges I am worried a lady may nick my dosh.

The answer is to get a Thai bank account. 

• Upvote 1
The answer is to get a Thai bank account. 
First day in Thailand I change most of my cash for baht. Trot across the road to Kasikorn and pop it into my account. I then spend day by day whatever overseas or retained cash that I have and leave my bank money until I run out. I can then access 24/7 using my ATM card. I always keep something in the Thai account for emergencies, last day accounts to settle, taxis and so forth. Could not be easier.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Today's rates. I see they have started to use a smaller Font and that may be difficult to see now here. My phone has pretty good resolution but it gets reduced automatically. 

Let me know if it is no longer much use, I could just take a pic of the left side of the screen. 

20190929_113135.jpg

• Thanks 2
29 minutes ago, BigusDicus said:

I can read it here on my home computer screen.  Do not know about my cell phone screen.

I can read it on my 55 inch TV too mate! I actually never read the board from my phone.  There must be some new ones in there, does this reflect the cosmopolitan appeal of Soi Buakhao?

42 minutes ago, Butch said:

On a pc if you click on the pic, it zooms in a bit. On a phone it might be a different story though.

Fine on my Samsung Android 'phone, provided I zoom in.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Butch said:

Sorry to slightly stray off topic, but does anyone know if holding a bank account out there gets you a better rate during transfers than on the street?.

Haven't done a SWIFT transfer in a couple of years, but other transfer methods are worse.