Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Butch said:

Sorry to slightly stray off topic, but does anyone know if holding a bank account out there gets you a better rate during transfers than on the street?.

No, same rates apply if you use the bank exchange kiosks. There is a slightly better  rate applied to doing a telex transfer into a bank than if you changed cash in there, then they also make a charge for conversion. Transferwise is usually regarded as the best option for wire transfers.  In reality, if you are going to be exchanging cash, you would be a schmuck to use banks. Go to TT Exchange kiosks where the rate is far better. In Bangkok Superrich offers better cash rates. 

• Thanks 1
No, same rates apply if you use the bank exchange kiosks. There is a slightly better  rate applied to doing a telex transfer into a bank than if you changed cash in there, then they also make a charge for conversion. Transferwise is usually regarded as the best option for wire transfers.  In reality, if you are going to be exchanging cash, you would be a schmuck to use banks. Go to TT Exchange kiosks where the rate is far better. In Bangkok Superrich offers better cash rates. 
You mentioned that anyone would be a schmuck to go to a bank ahead of TT. Completely agreed but I wonder if (A) Anyone knows anywhere better and (B) Does anyone use a bank rather than say TT and why? There are 5 TT within about a kilometre of each other in Soi Buakhao of which 2 have off street areas for a bit of privacy. There must be others similar around the place.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jacko said:

Im sure i read somewhere that there is a Super Rich in Central festival Pattaya.

3 hours ago, teelack said:

You mentioned that anyone would be a schmuck to go to a bank ahead of TT. Completely agreed but I wonder if (A) Anyone knows anywhere better and (B) Does anyone use a bank rather than say TT and why? There are 5 TT within about a kilometre of each other in Soi Buakhao of which 2 have off street areas for a bit of privacy. There must be others similar around the place.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Again we are only talking of cash. There used to a small place on Soi Diana, a branch of a larger one on Walking St called Yenjit which was better, but really by a small difference. Don't think it is there any more. And if someone has time in Bangkok on the way here, a trip to Superrich may be fruitful. 

25 minutes ago, pattysteve said:

Im sure i read somewhere that there is a Super Rich in Central festival Pattaya.

Not listed on their Website (Superrich) and on Facebook someone has posted 'Does Not Exist', have never seen it either. Would be interested to know either way but changing money in a Mall......hmmm, goes against old-ways. 

4 hours ago, teelack said:

I often use the TT that is on Beach Rd between 7 and 8 because you can go inside away from shoulder watchers

18 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

I often use the TT that is on Beach Rd between 7 and 8 because you can go inside away from shoulder watchers

There are a couple of larger TTs on Second Road in the Pattayaland area which have off-street space, also a couple in Jomtien going down towards the beach.

• Upvote 1

There's a money changer near the Second road traffic lights going towards Jomtien. On the left about 200 metres from the junction with Pattaya Tai. You go inside what looks like a tourist tat shop but also signposted as a money changer. The rate last week for me was 3 satang better than TT and you're not stood on the road for all and sundry see what you've got. I had my passport with me but wasn't asked for.

KM

• Thanks 1

Back to sub 37 for Sterling......

Ouch. Expect it to go lower over the next two or three weeks. Jungle drums here are not sounding positive. I'd like to see the "real" tourist numbers for LOS for the last few and upcoming months.

Spoke to a friend who runs a bar there yesterday, he says things are savage at the moment.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Sterling sharply up last 2 days

Yes, I was onto Transferwise, and too late remembered it is a holiday here Monday and will be waiting for the transfer to land.

I suspect a collapse in optimism and the currency with it!

That's better than I got from Transferwise over the weekend!

20191018_135209.jpg

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, tombon said:

Should be over 39 on Saturday. Current google rate is 39.42

All based on Boris' optimism!

6 hours ago, jacko said:

All based on Boris' optimism!

Big vote today in parliament. I think most people just want it over and done with.

My own opinion was to just leave. But I guess northern Ireland is a unique place and some sort of special arrangement had to be thought of.

1 hour ago, tombon said:

Big vote today in parliament. I think most people just want it over and done with.

My own opinion was to just leave. But I guess northern Ireland is a unique place and some sort of special arrangement had to be thought of.

Well rather than watching BBC Parliament it will be the rugby for me!