Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

On 12/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, Rawhide2 said:

Go to Sabai Exchange its under Atlantic Bar Soi 3 where they'll literally take any note marked torn whatever except for outright forgery of which I had one last trip (£10) but she gave back to me at least........ Walloped it into Tescos when back home lol (seeing I originally got it out of their ATM)

Certainly takes 50's as well had a couple last trip. Rate is always equal to TT exchanges and normally few satang higher

Thanks for the tip

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

On 12/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, wacmedia said:

Hi,

I think its the banks in UK who mark the notes. I always feel that a note with some marks on it is geniune. The pristine ones are the ones I worry about. 

I did ask why they wouldn't take them. They said they not give money to bank.

There is a notice at the TT booths that's show they dont accept UK notes with marker pen marks. The noted I had, had pen Mark's on them.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, Rawhide2 said:

Go to Sabai Exchange its under Atlantic Bar Soi 3 where they'll literally take any note marked torn whatever except for outright forgery of which I had one last trip (£10) but she gave back to me at least........ Walloped it into Tescos when back home lol (seeing I originally got it out of their ATM)

Certainly takes 50's as well had a couple last trip. Rate is always equal to TT exchanges and normally few satang higher

Went to that exchange place. They wouldn't accept the 50s with the ink on the queens face. Even tired kasakorn back booth they wouldn't accept them either. 

I will take them back home with me and it will less money spent in thailand.

I always bring 50s, but I always ask the bank for clean ones, explaining that they won't be accepted in Thailand if they are marked. They give me the opportunity to check them and will change any I feel are too marked. 

When 'tilling up' in a bank, if they haven't got enough in a till to make up a 'wrapped' amount, they write on the top note of the pile how much the value is. You also see marks from people/shops who use a marker pen that detects forgeries, especially on larger denominations.

Hope that helps.

KM

3 hours ago, keyman said:

I always bring 50s, but I always ask the bank for clean ones, explaining that they won't be accepted in Thailand if they are marked. They give me the opportunity to check them and will change any I feel are too marked. 

When 'tilling up' in a bank, if they haven't got enough in a till to make up a 'wrapped' amount, they write on the top note of the pile how much the value is. You also see marks from people/shops who use a marker pen that detects forgeries, especially on larger denominations.

Hope that helps.

KM

I do ask them not to give me torn notes as I have had issues changing them in the past. 

I was thinking today about the amount of times I have been to thailand (27) and the about of cash I have changed over that time. There most of been at least 1 note that as been marked over the years. Strange how there rejecting them now.

18 hours ago, keyman said:

Hope that helps.

KM

14 hours ago, tombon said:

I do ask them not to give me torn notes as I have had issues changing them in the past. 

I was thinking today about the amount of times I have been to thailand (27) and the about of cash I have changed over that time. There most of been at least 1 note that as been marked over the years. Strange how there rejecting them now.

Just like KM I always get 50s for my trips and always check them and get the dodgy ones with pen marks or tears changed before leaving the bank..... yet still get the odd ones rejected in banks in Thailand.... you can almost guarantee I will return home with notes rejected in Thailand...

i doubt its local to me in the north west of England

but the atm machines were spitting out brand new sequential 20s 200 got you 160 in 20s and 40 quid in new tenners

its probably due to the fact that soon they will be launching the plastic 20 so they are circulating all the brand new old style 20s  and burning any crap looking ones.

nearly £1,500 in brand new £20s and not a single one knocked back anywhere ( id put them all into an envelope as soon as getting them to keep them nice)

also noted that a little laminated copy of my passport and Cambodian visa (credit card size) from a few years back was happily accepted as id at every single exchange place i went to.

• Upvote 2

Again....10th Jan 2020 1pm.

20200110_132335.jpg

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This is from BigC-X. It is behind a screen so a lot of reflection.

20200121_130129.jpg

• Thanks 2
8 hours ago, accyboy said:

Think I will deposit all my stash of old 20£ notes soon as once the new 20£ apppears I doubt the exchange places in Thailand will entertain them .......

What is the date on that please, I probably have a good few? 

2 hours ago, tombon said:

Make sure there are no pen marks on them. They will not accept them neither will other exchange places.

Others continue to claim pen marks make notes unacceptable. How is it that I have only EVER had ONE note rejected which was pretty bad I agree and a 2nd for an outright forgery. (only a tenner as well I gave it back to Tesco for shopping seeing it came out of their ATM ??)

So 1 single note in decades rejected for scribbling dirty or torn. What am I doing differently. ! Out of interest that really grubby note rejected at TT I changed around the corner in Sabai exchange under Atlantic bar

Its like an enduring story that does the circuit and an internet myth has somehow become an internet fact....one thing when you present your notes ensure they are all the correct way around neatly presented. Nothing pisses off bank tellers more than being presented with the opposite

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Sterling was 39.72 just before TT closed

Seems to have taken a boost overnight....(I am on Thai time of course) .

I might get my 40+ yet this month. 

3 hours ago, jacko said:

Seems to have taken a boost overnight....(I am on Thai time of course) .

I might get my 40+ yet this month. 

Just crept over 40 on Yahoo. (And also on Transferwise....)

42 minutes ago, jacko said:

Just crept over 40 on Yahoo. (And also on Transferwise....)

Yep 40.06 at time of post. Should put TT's around 39.90 give or take

Baht weakened out against the Greenback up/down depending on point of view to 30.52 interbank at time of post

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

The flu bug may weaken the Chinese economy and the RMB/Baht

This is getting concerning. Just been watching reports and air travel could be curtailed drastically if this continues to spead as quickly. Now reports of 10,000 cases as opposed to 600 yesterday

On 1/22/2020 at 5:54 AM, Rawhide2 said:

Others continue to claim pen marks make notes unacceptable. How is it that I have only EVER had ONE note rejected which was pretty bad I agree and a 2nd for an outright forgery. (only a tenner as well I gave it back to Tesco for shopping seeing it came out of their ATM ??)

So 1 single note in decades rejected for scribbling dirty or torn. What am I doing differently. ! Out of interest that really grubby note rejected at TT I changed around the corner in Sabai exchange under Atlantic bar

Its like an enduring story that does the circuit and an internet myth has somehow become an internet fact....one thing when you present your notes ensure they are all the correct way around neatly presented. Nothing pisses off bank tellers more than being presented with the opposite

It's not a myth, I have had several notes rejected..... They don't seem to be as fussy down in Pattaya, or at swampy, but up in Uttaradit, where our house is, they go through my wad of notes with a fine tooth comb looking for marks and small tears.... I always check my notes before leaving the bank  in the UK yet some still get rejected.

Yet again I would like to express my appreciation to those posting here. When you are a long way from Thailand and considering how to fund you spending knowing whats happening to the baht is a great help. I compare the figures with my local bank, take into account a 1% buying fee and then decide how to proceed. 

Can anyone tell me this please. Is it possible to buy other currencies from a TT Exchange? At home I am caught with an exchange fee and well as crap rates. I appreciate that I may have to use a bank but needless to say I will always try TT first as they always seem to be the leader in rates. The reason that I asked is that I did try some years ago and was told "No Hab" and never tried again.