Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

1 hour ago, teelack said:

Can anyone tell me this please. Is it possible to buy other currencies from a TT Exchange?

I have read of people doing exactly that.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jacko said:

I have read of people doing exactly that.

I have also read the same. I have also seen it suggested that the best idea is to go to one of the larger outlets especially for larger amounts or less popular currencies. I think the main branches of TT in Pattaya are on Second Road in the Pattayaland area.

9 hours ago, teelack said:

Yet again I would like to express my appreciation to those posting here

Just for you and your impending trip mate!

Sorry about the reflection.... it's Euro, Euro, GBP, GBP, AUD, JPY, SGD under there.

20200124_134851.jpg

Edited by jacko
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, teelack said:

Can anyone tell me this please. Is it possible to buy other currencies from a TT Exchange? 

Yes, it is possible, that's why they quote a "selling" rate. 

Obviously, it will depend on whether they have the currency in stock, though. You might need to give them some notice. 

1 hour ago, jacko said:

20200124_134851.jpg

• Like 1

I'm having a senior citizens moment here. Simple question. If I hand over a £10 note how many Philipines Peso do I get on that chart  ??   Or is the selling rate based on how many Thai Baht you hand back to the exchanger.

I cant enlarge the figures besides the currency symbol. Its got to be related to Thai baht on selling ?? No ??

33 minutes ago, Rawhide2 said:

I'm having a senior citizens moment here. Simple question. If I hand over a £10 note how many Philipines Peso do I get on that chart  ??   Or is the selling rate based on how many Thai Baht you hand back to the exchanger.

I cant enlarge the figures besides the currency symbol. Its got to be related to Thai baht on selling ?? No ??

Pretty sure they usually sell other currencies through baht, so you would buy those first.

No its not is it ??   All those figures relate to either handing over your own countries currency for Baht or in reverse handing back Baht to be exchanged back into your own currency ??

4 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Yes you're right so its a double commission issue you'd pay

No commission at TT but you lose out on the spread between bid and offer. Look at the rates in Jacko's post, the spread on  Sterling is around 1%  but the spread on PHP is nearer 10%. Might not make a lot of difference for a small amount  to get you started in country but you must be better off doing single transactions in the home currency of your destination.

1 hour ago, tallguy said:

No commission at TT but you lose out on the spread between bid and offer. Look at the rates in Jacko's post, the spread on  Sterling is around 1%  but the spread on PHP is nearer 10%. Might not make a lot of difference for a small amount  to get you started in country but you must be better off doing single transactions in the home currency of your destination.

We'll just use Halifax Clarity cards in Manila and pay the local fee. Only need a small bundle for the first night anyway and am informed there are cash exchangers in Angeles at reasonable rates.

Edited by Rawhide2
On 1/25/2020 at 1:20 AM, tallguy said:

Thanks guys. This has focused me a bit. I have sat down with the calculator and for me to buy the odd amounts of currency that I would like has a cost of about 2.5 % at home and after paying a transaction fee. In other words, its not worth worrying about. 

2 hours ago, teelack said:

Thanks guys. This has focused me a bit. I have sat down with the calculator and for me to buy the odd amounts of currency that I would like has a cost of about 2.5 % at home and after paying a transaction fee. In other words, its not worth worrying about. 

I am sitting on some money waiting to transfer into Thailand.... I will probably use Transfewise, although I noticed recently their charges for larger amounts can get high. I also felt the TT exchange rate Bangkok Bank were showing seemed more competitive than it had in the past. So much so the advantage of TW was diminished. Although I still like that your quoted rate gets locked in... it is just the fact of involving a 3rd party always concerns me... I hate giving them the ability to point at each other if something goes wrong. 

I was also discussing how I didn't have much Sterling cash, which is usually what I convert when I visit Bali. The rate there for Thai baht never looks as good. A friend offered me 41 baht per £. I suppose I need to get rid of the Sterling cash as I hear the UK will be changing all the £20 notes soon. 

Edited by jacko
1 hour ago, Rawhide2 said:

Interesting. Baht continues to weaken overnight on opening

12.jpg

Rawhide. If a couple of million tourists less turn up this year from China, then this could be a reason. As I understand it all tour groups have been cancelled in/from China at the moment and this in turn is having affects on airline and tourism stocks which reacted very quickly to the expected down turn. . 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Interesting. Baht continues to weaken overnight on opening

12.jpg

Looks like a bit more of the same at the moment, as well as Sterling picking up slightly against the US$.... showing 40.2 baht/ £ right now. I think the China virus hitting Thai tourism is doing this?

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Looks like a bit more of the same at the moment, as well as Sterling picking up slightly against the US$.... showing 40.2 baht/ £ right now. I think the China virus hitting Thai tourism is doing this?

The subject of the corona virus and Chinese tourism to Thailand managed to make National Public Radio in the US.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, jacko said:

Almost certainly having an effect

Interbank 30.83 at time of post Dollar/Baht

Edited by Rawhide2
10 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Still dropping Dollar/Baht currently 31.04 Interbank

Long may it continue....

Sterling/Baht on the ground is 40.22 at TT currently

Pretty much what I got out of Transferwise.... now that I have transferred I expect it to improve in leaps and bounds. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, jacko said:

Pretty much what I got out of Transferwise.... now that I have transferred I expect it to improve in leaps and bounds. 

Yep it has lol....Interbank/Transferwise 40.45

Dollar/Baht 31.06