Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rawhide2 said:

Thai Baht tanking against the USD today.....right out to 31.65 interbank

I think I saw on MSNBC that the dollar is tarding close to 1.00. It has been on the rise. Good for us tourists but not good for our exports.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I think I saw on MSNBC that the dollar is tarding close to 1.00. It has been on the rise. Good for us tourists but not good for our exports.

Trading close to 1 what?

5 hours ago, jacko said:

Trading close to 1 what?

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/currency

I am not an expert by any means on currency trading but generally the higher the number the better. Buy low, sell high. I am not into currency trading. The highest was 163.83 in the 1980s when the Fed had interest rates at 9%. The number is an index sort of like the DJIA or S&P500 is to stocks. I like the dollar value increasing but more so in relation to the baht. But buying dollars is going up in markets as the graph shows in the link. Currently. You can also see all of the dips and peaks over time. Under the graph allows you to set a time period. The lowest on the ten year is 72.xx around 2011 and the highest in the last ten years was around 103.xx in around December 2016.

The U.S. Dollar Index (USDX, DXY, DX) is an index (or measure) of the value of the United States dollar relative to a basket of foreign currencies, often referred to as a basket of U.S. trade partners' currencies. The Index goes up when the U.S. dollar gains "strength" (value) when compared to other currencies.

As measured by the DX. F, the all-time high for the dollar was 163.83 on March 5, 1985. That's because the U.S. Federal Reserve raised the fed funds rate to 9% to combat stagflation.

Edited by midlifecrisis
35 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Do you understand what you are talking about here?.

This looks like an index of how the USD performs against a basket of currencies. No indication of when the base date of 1 was originally calculated.

Most of us here are concerned about rates against the THB. What we want to know is what we get for our own money on the street. Comparisons against a basket of currencies on date x are of little importance.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
55 minutes ago, tallguy said:

Do you understand what you are talking about here?.

This looks like an index of how the USD performs against a basket of currencies. No indication of when the base date of 1 was originally calculated.

Most of us here are concerned about rates against the THB. What we want to know is what we get for our own money on the street. Comparisons against a basket of currencies on date x are of little importance.

What did my post say? You didn't read the whole thing. I was explaining to another who asked me about a previous post. I explained that my interest is vs the baht as well. 

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/currency

I am not an expert by any means on currency trading but generally the higher the number the better. Buy low, sell high. I am not into currency trading. The highest was 163.83 in the 1980s when the Fed had interest rates at 9%. The number is an index sort of like the DJIA or S&P500 is to stocks. I like the dollar value increasing but more so in relation to the baht. But buying dollars is going up in markets as the graph shows in the link. Currently. You can also see all of the dips and peaks over time. Under the graph allows you to set a time period. The lowest on the ten year is 72.xx around 2011 and the highest in the last ten years was around 103.xx in around December 2016.

The U.S. Dollar Index (USDX, DXY, DX) is an index (or measure) of the value of the United States dollar relative to a basket of foreign currencies, often referred to as a basket of U.S. trade partners' currencies. The Index goes up when the U.S. dollar gains "strength" (value) when compared to other currencies.

As measured by the DX. F, the all-time high for the dollar was 163.83 on March 5, 1985. That's because the U.S. Federal Reserve raised the fed funds rate to 9% to combat stagflation.

Well thanks for that, but I am a simple Expat, watching how my home currency does against that Thai baht.... 

30 minutes ago, jacko said:

Well thanks for that, but I am a simple Expat, watching how my home currency does against that Thai baht.... 

as I also said, that is my concern also. Money is also a commodity and perhaps I should not have posted what I did as it isn't relevant here.

:chogdee

• Like 1
3 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

What did my post say? You didn't read the whole thing. I was explaining to another who asked me about a previous post. I explained that my interest is vs the baht as well. 

All I saw when i  commented was the hyperlink. You seem to have edited the post since that time.

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, tallguy said:

All I saw when i  commented was the hyperlink. You seem to have edited the post since that time.

As  you quoted me, the differences can be discerned. I didn't edit it in the manner I think you are alluding to. Again, you post without reading in full or comparing. Just a quasi accusation. I certainly didn't edit it in relation to you or your post. 

As I said to jacko a few minutes ago, it was not appropriate to the topic which I apologize for. I plan to let this die.

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Downvote 1

Baht continues to weaken against the benchmark USD....right out to 31.84 interbank

Sterling interbank right up to 41.40 now.....should be around 41.20 ish at TT

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Like 1

Today, from a quiet Pattaya.

20200301_121216.jpg

• Like 1

Today's rates.

20200308_121247.jpg

• Thanks 2

Seem to be having some stability in Sterling, now Brexit and the election are over with. Stockmarket is taking a real kicking though, not sure if that has any effect. £ to peso holding at 65 according to Kabayan Remit.

thanks for the update Jacko.

I will need to change some Euros soon,there is chatter on the forums that the Thai government will devalue the Baht.Can they do that or do the markets decide the value as far as I am aware the Baht is floating on the exchange?

On 3/10/2020 at 6:36 AM, yselmike said:

I will need to change some Euros soon,there is chatter on the forums that the Thai government will devalue the Baht.Can they do that or do the markets decide the value as far as I am aware the Baht is floating on the exchange?

They can do whatever they like its their currency . It was done to the UK pound back in the 60s by the Wilson government.

https://www.google.com/search?q=devaluation+of+the+English+pound&sxsrf=ALeKk001NRABJ8mMqw2LGCkAXSbYMgGr2Q:1584504107127&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=HUvmNxPKMB7ZqM%3A%2C_UW4hC6jPhVUdM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQOqwYKRcY8vQ4Ki4jyFHQfeOwBlQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin6szjkaPoAhWIfMAKHd83B9oQ9QEwAHoECAoQAw#imgrc=HUvmNxPKMB7ZqM:

6 hours ago, sinbinjack said:

But if a currency is floating the markets decide,I remember when the Baht was tied to the US dollar at 25 Baht.Not sure what happend to the pound back then has any bearing on today's markets.I do remember when I was only allowed to take out £100 and it was stamped in my passport.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:13 AM, yselmike said:

But if a currency is floating the markets decide,I remember when the Baht was tied to the US dollar at 25 Baht.Not sure what happend to the pound back then has any bearing on today's markets.I do remember when I was only allowed to take out £100 and it was stamped in my passport.

You asked a question . Can they do it ?. I answered yes they can because its their currency to with as they see fit. when it happened to the British Pound is not the issue but that it happened because the labour government of the day wanted the pound devalued so it could export more  and all debs in £s were also devalued though debts in other currencies were increased  and imports fell as a result. If the Thais think their currency is overvalued then it will bring in imports and deter exports . Its not omething that politicians take lightly and in todays world it would be risky but they can if they wish.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...